Personal Finance

CIBC Aventura versus RBC Avion versus Cap One Aspire MC

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2014 5:34 pm
Aug 14, 2014
1 posts

CIBC Aventura versus RBC Avion versus Cap One Aspire MC

Looking to change from Aeroplan (which is useless) to a new credit card that maximizes travel points - no blackout periods, easy to use travel booking site. Aeroplan is terrible and I'm done trying to get any trips with them. I've looked into CIBC Aventura, RBC Avion and Capital One
s Aspire MasterCard. What do people recommend and any watch-outs?
12 replies
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
I have the RBC Infinite Avion. It has been a good card but I just wanted to point out that although there is no so-called blackout period, you are limited with booking within a certain price point. In my case, from home to Hawaii would be max $900 return - sometimes it's hard to get those prices, especially during high season. It's still 100% better than Airmiles rewards.
Dec 7, 2009
89 posts
4 upvotes
MLVan123 wrote: Looking to change from Aeroplan (which is useless) to a new credit card that maximizes travel points - no blackout periods, easy to use travel booking site. Aeroplan is terrible and I'm done trying to get any trips with them. I've looked into CIBC Aventura, RBC Avion and Capital One
s Aspire MasterCard. What do people recommend and any watch-outs?
Depends on your flying patterns. Most people here will recommend the Crapital One MC but for me, the Avion card nets out a higher rate of return.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Mars2012 wrote: I have the RBC Infinite Avion. It has been a good card but I just wanted to point out that although there is no so-called blackout period, you are limited with booking within a certain price point. In my case, from home to Hawaii would be max $900 return - sometimes it's hard to get those prices, especially during high season. It's still 100% better than Airmiles rewards.
The avion does not limit the max price. Anything above is eitner charged as cash or redeemed at 1 to 100$. It is in your interest to get as close to, or above the limit of the Avion tiers, to max out return, which can approach 2.2%. The problem is that the avion tier maximums apply only to base ticket prices, not taxes or fees. Since most tickets have a ton of surcharges, in some cases almost half the ticket price, its actually hard to hit the max of each tier.

I stopped using my Avion since it's a convoluted mess trying to extract value out of the card, and i switched my whole family and business to the Cap One Aspire Cash card.

I f you still want a good travel card, look the BMO world elite.
Dec 7, 2009
89 posts
4 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: The avion does not limit the max price. Anything above is eitner charged as cash or redeemed at 1 to 100$. It is in your interest to get as close to, or above the limit of the Avion tiers, to max out return, which can approach 2.2%. The problem is that the avion tier maximums apply only to base ticket prices, not taxes or fees. Since most tickets have a ton of surcharges, in some cases almost half the ticket price, its actually hard to hit the max of each tier.

I stopped using my Avion since it's a convoluted mess trying to extract value out of the card, and i switched my whole family and business to the Cap One Aspire Cash card.

I f you still want a good travel card, look the BMO world elite.
I just scored a 2.3% return on my flight (Avion Card) which is higher than Crapital One's 2%
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
someguy1987 wrote: I just scored a 2.3% return on my flight (Avion Card) which is higher than Crapital One's 2%
if the stars are aligned right it can be done. Problem is, when and and where I need to fly is based on my family's schedule, not avions redemption schedule
Jun 21, 2013
276 posts
51 upvotes
In the middle of now…
I have an Avion card. The best return rate is achieved by converting Avion to BA Avios points during their twice a year 1.5x promo, and redeeming on One World flights (e.g. roundtrip BOS-LAX on AA costs 25000 Avios + $4 in taxes and fees)
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
Siberian wrote: I have an Avion card. The best return rate is achieved by converting Avion to BA Avios points during their twice a year 1.5x promo, and redeeming on One World flights (e.g. roundtrip BOS-LAX on AA costs 25000 Avios + $4 in taxes and fees)
I've also done well with this. Booked many J flights to Asia. Also, booked many domestic flights in japan. Many trips between yyz-JFK/LGA and upgraded flights with miles. I would say well over 2% per buck.
Left rfd
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Siberian wrote: I have an Avion card. The best return rate is achieved by converting Avion to BA Avios points during their twice a year 1.5x promo, and redeeming on One World flights (e.g. roundtrip BOS-LAX on AA costs 25000 Avios + $4 in taxes and fees)
BA and AA have extensive bladkout periods. Forget about travelling during christmas, thanksgiving, etc...

Using avios for business class travel is actually one of the best uses you can make.
Dec 7, 2009
89 posts
4 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: BA and AA have extensive bladkout periods. Forget about travelling during christmas, thanksgiving, etc...

Using avios for business class travel is actually one of the best uses you can make.
I've booked 4 people on AA MileSAAver award during the summer high season. It could be done. You just need to book the flights well in advance.
Jul 29, 2012
930 posts
336 upvotes
Alberta
For those with Avion, could you check if 100 pts = 1$ when using rewards to buy from best buy?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
stonyboys wrote: For those with Avion, could you check if 100 pts = 1$ when using rewards to buy from best buy?
Im getting 0.65. But I only have 16000 left.
Jun 21, 2013
276 posts
51 upvotes
In the middle of now…
mr_raider wrote: BA and AA have extensive bladkout periods. Forget about travelling during christmas, thanksgiving, etc...

It depends on your travel schedule. I had no problems booking a family trip to California for the March break. Actually I first booked BDL-LAX, then a better option popped up from BOS. I returned the first set of tix, and rebooked BOS-LAX. Rewards tickets are fully refundable, except for taxes/fees ($2 per leg).