• Sep 24th, 2014 10:25 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 14, 2011
44 posts
2 upvotes
TORONTO

Discover Credit Card

Are they ever going to expand into Canada? They are one of the most prominent sponsers in the nhl so I would have thought coming to Canada would be something they might do?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3352 posts
2339 upvotes
Langley
I don't know how big Discover is in the states, but the Canadian Market is too small. Not worth the investment imo.
Apr 19, 2012
91 posts
31 upvotes
Prince George
Two years ago Discover expanded to issue their cards in Ecuador--a country with only half of Canada's population and nowhere near Canada's economy. It was the first time Discover expanded card issuance beyond the US. I think it is inevitable that they will eventually expand to Canada (acceptance here is already a lot more widespread than most people seem to think). Discover is also quite a bit larger than American Express in the US (can't remember if this is by acceptance or number of cards issued...), though AMEX cards are issued in numerous countries that Discover cards are not. When it finally does happen, it may well be through a partnership with a major Canadian bank. That is kind of how I expect it to come about. It may also take several more years to finally happen. Personally I'm looking forward to it.

LB1275
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LB1275 wrote: When it finally does happen, it may well be through a partnership with a major Canadian bank.
Maybe they should partner with Target - a company with an impressive record of success moving into Canada...

(Interestingly, I saw something a few days ago saying Apple had considered buying Discover if Visa/MC/Amex weren't in the mood to play ball on mobile payments)
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1765 posts
4500 upvotes
Pawtucket
It would be great if they expanded their presence in Canada. They have great perks, excellent customer service based in the US (no outsourcing), no forex fees, free credit score every statement. I find that they are just as widely accepted in the US as Visa/MC. My only concern is if they do make a move into Canada, it will be a water down-product compared to the US versions. Just look at Chase and Capital One and Amex. Their US versions are all better.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1005 posts
100 upvotes
At their origin, Discover cards were in fact amongst the first credit cards available in the North America. They have started as .... Sears Department store cards.
Considering the long tradition of the Sears chain store in Canada, it's quite surprising not to have them already ubiquitously available in Canada as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)