• Jun 26th, 2015 12:33 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes

Lots of things are now cheaper in Canada thanks to the exchange rate

I'm a frequent cross-border shopper. I just want to put it out there that with the loonie tanking recently, yet prices a bit slower to adjust, a lot of things are now cheaper in Canada. For example, I recently bought this dumbbell set, and I shopped around for prices

Amazon.com

Amazon.ca

Canadian Tire

This is just one example out of many.
I know that eventually prices will adjust here to reflect the exchange rate, but it's good times for shopping in Canada.
19 replies
Mar 9, 2014
457 posts
216 upvotes
I bought that same set at Canadian Tire 4 years ago and only paid $19.99!
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Lots of things and you provided 1 example. The item itself is worth less than 20 bucks like someone mentionned. At $20 CT is still making profit. The bulk of the cost is shipping 40lbs of iron across the country. Regardless which country...you're still just shipping dead weight.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
Cas77 wrote: Lots of things and you provided 1 example. The item itself is worth less than 20 bucks like someone mentionned. At $20 CT is still making profit. The bulk of the cost is shipping 40lbs of iron across the country. Regardless which country...you're still just shipping dead weight.
IT'S TRUE!!! LOOK AT THE ONE EXAMPLE!! I extrapolate that to mean EEEEVERTHING is cheaper in Canada now!!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
Konowl wrote: IT'S TRUE!!! LOOK AT THE ONE EXAMPLE!! I extrapolate that to mean EEEEVERTHING is cheaper in Canada now!!
If that's the case, you truly need help.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
Lots of things are cheaper?

I have not noticed, maybe those are things that I would not buy anyway in the first place, so who cares if dumbells and other similar crap at Canadian Tire is on sale?
Dec 30, 2009
419 posts
87 upvotes
comicbomber wrote: Video games sure as hell aren't.
^This.
How many sets of dumbells I need to buy to offset the PS4 price increase from $399 to $449? Not to mention the new games are now $5-$10 more than they used to be.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
2265 posts
305 upvotes
Mississauga
Come on guys! Give OP a break. Those are 14-pc set + the case so that is a lot of things. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1331 posts
1060 upvotes
Hamilton
ORZ wrote: How many sets of dumbells I need to buy to offset the PS4 price increase from $399 to $449? Not to mention the new games are now $5-$10 more than they used to be.
Buying a PS4 for $449 CDN is cheaper than $399 US.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
There are things that are cheaper in this country, and there are things that are cheaper in the US. In the last few years on my cross border shopping trips, I have been finding more and more items cheaper in Canada. You have to know your prices when you shop. Too many people just assume everything is cheaper in the US like so many people assume that everything is cheaper at Walmart.
Jul 23, 2009
911 posts
434 upvotes
Ireland
Still not as cheap as China. Whenever we go to China we buy an extra luggage just to carry all the crap we buy. Brand name stuff too for 50-70% cheaper than North America no jokes.
Our tour guide in China sold us Beats headphones for 300 RMB or about 70 CDN. Super hot deals.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3901 posts
2190 upvotes
Ontario
savercanuck91 wrote: Still not as cheap as China. Whenever we go to China we buy an extra luggage just to carry all the crap we buy. Brand name stuff too for 50-70% cheaper than North America no jokes.
Our tour guide in China sold us Beats headphones for 300 RMB or about 70 CDN. Super hot deals.
Are you sure they weren't "Beets" headphones?
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
TCWeasel wrote: Are you sure they weren't "Beets" headphones?
lol you took the words write out of my mouth
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
There's always exceptions but as a rule most things are still cheaper in the US even after exchange rates.
Hell I just catered a Thanksgiving and buying all my equipment locally would mean I would have paid literally 2x as much as I would have buying from the US.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4783 posts
1328 upvotes
Richmond
Cheap Cat wrote: There are things that are cheaper in this country, and there are things that are cheaper in the US. In the last few years on my cross border shopping trips, I have been finding more and more items cheaper in Canada. You have to know your prices when you shop. Too many people just assume everything is cheaper in the US like so many people assume that everything is cheaper at Walmart.
though it really depends on where in canada. If near the border then, probably cheaper a lot of the time, but if you're up in northern canada, even southern canada is cheaper.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
Over the counter medicines can be cheaper in Canada.
One medicine at Canada Costco = $60
Identical medicine at Costco USA =$100

In December, Florida oranges bag/case are cheaper in Ontario than in Florida. Friend use to ship us oranges in December. The Florida company has gone out of business.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
1213 posts
107 upvotes
Vaughan, On
savercanuck91 wrote: Still not as cheap as China. Whenever we go to China we buy an extra luggage just to carry all the crap we buy. Brand name stuff too for 50-70% cheaper than North America no jokes.
Were we born in the same China? Everything name branded in China is more expensive due to hefty import tax, even though it's made in China. The only thing I've found worth buying is smuggled dslr cameras from japan which is cheaper than buying in Canada, but heck it's smuggled, and the trading place is rather shaddy although I had no problem with my 5d mark 2 and sony a7r body and lenses.

Unless of coz, you want *beets* audio on taobao made by some shady Shenzheng single mother at her own apartment, than nothing can *beet* that price.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)