Shopping Discussion

Is there real authentic olive oil in any top grocery stores?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2014 12:02 am
Tags:
None
May 6, 2011
27 posts
7 upvotes
TRENTON

Is there real authentic olive oil in any top grocery stores?

Top brands in the stores are all fakes.
17 replies
Jun 10, 2008
99 posts
76 upvotes
Kirkland Organic Extra Virgin oil at Costco. Make sure Organic is on the label as they sell a non organic version too which is the typical blended oil. If I remember correctly, it was about $12 for a 2L jug.
Sep 10, 2014
533 posts
89 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
What makes you think that the top brands in all the stores are fake?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Most Whole Foods usually have an 4-foot shelf segment for olive oils. The middle 3 shelves are the authentic ones and the rest are cooking oils.

I usually buy from The Healthy Butcher....they sometimes have a few on sale when they get past 8 months of the harvest dates.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Apr 1, 2013
523 posts
119 upvotes
Ontario
It all depends on price. It the price is under $30 a bottle, I would be skeptical it is 100% extra virgin olive oil. Fake olive oil is a big business around the world. There are many reports of this well know issue. Search 'olive oil scam', 'fake olive oil'.

Don't assume the oil is from Italy, Spain is the largest olive oil producer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5820 posts
3846 upvotes
West Vancouver
The short answer is no.

For instance i bought some Organic Extra Virgin oil just last week. Turns out its was some Valvoline 10w30.

Can you believe that ?
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
199 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
So olive oil is not olive oil ? What is it ? If I buy olive oil at No Frills it says Olive Oil so it is Olive Oil , right?
Mar 23, 2013
706 posts
130 upvotes
Kitchener
Please tell me what my olive oil is
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7007 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
Coz4k wrote: The short answer is no.

For instance i bought some Organic Extra Virgin oil just last week. Turns out its was some Valvoline 10w30.

Can you believe that ?
God I hate it when that happens.
It's even happening with apple juice now. Bought some the other day and it was fake. Nothing but piss inside.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Coz4k wrote: The short answer is no.

Can you believe that ?
Konowl wrote: God I hate it when that happens.
It's even happening with apple juice now. Bought some the other day and it was fake. Nothing but piss inside.
Where the heck are you guys shopping?, :lol: ...j/k.

I would trust a Costco brand over the cheap stuff from No Frills. Even honey is being adulterated with crap from China these days.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2011
1049 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
Since we're on olive oil I like this read:

[QUOTE]Is Your Olive Oil As Healthy As You Think?

What to look for

Advice from Dan Flynn, executive director of the UC-Davis Olive Center:

Look for a harvest date on the label (it should be no more than one year old). Freshness is important for quality and nutrition. Some retailers are becoming more savvy about this.
Color is not an indicator of freshness. Some people think a strong green tint means better quality, but some olive varieties are just greener than others. Some high-quality olive oils are a golden color.
Buy olive oil in a container that protects the oil from light. That could be dark glass or a tin.
People need to taste truly fresh oil. I believe most people are used to an oil that is not fresh, and that's what they think it should taste like. There's a high-quality product available at the same price. Extra virgin olive oil has a special flavor and freshness. Once people taste fresh extra virgin olive oil, they'll want to continue choosing it.
Olive oil should smell fruity and taste and smell like olives. Some describe high-quality olive oil as "grassy" or "peppery."

For maximum nutrition, quality and flavor, ideally, the olive oil you buy should not be more than one year old. It should say "extra virgin." It should be harvested carefully, processed quickly and minimally, stored in a cool dark environment and opened and used without too much exposure to air.[/QUOTE]

http://www.livescience.com/37998-olive- ... efits.html
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1848 posts
277 upvotes
Markham
I always buy Filippo Berrio olive oil from Loblaws.Usually pay a premium but can get it on sale every couple of months.
I find it really good and if you google and hit their web site, they have quite the history and a convincing integrity to their product
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
Northofseven wrote: So olive oil is not olive oil ? What is it ? If I buy olive oil at No Frills it says Olive Oil so it is Olive Oil , right?
that brand is gutter oil from china.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4438 posts
1927 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
How about avocado oil? Is that fake too? That's what I use.
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
199 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
BobSagget wrote: that brand is gutter oil from china.
I smell my Olive Oil and she smell like spinach may be from gutter too ?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
Northofseven wrote: I smell my Olive Oil and she smell like spinach may be from gutter too ?
Yes, spinach smell is a sign that you have gutter oil.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)