• Oct 15th, 2014 1:32 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes

Game Console Decision and Buying

Alrighty. It's time to purchase a new game console. Not married to any, but would like it to contain family titles as well as auto racing (tru to life, not arcade style) and NBA. Based on these, probably looking at PS4 or XBox right?

1. Where is a good place to monitor for sales?
2. Roughly what are the retail prices for each?
3. What kind of sale prices have you guys seen recently?

Pros and cons between Xbox and PS4? Hardware, quirks, limitations, controller battery life, noisy hardware, media player capabilities, "smart" capabilities etc...

Would love all feedback. Thanks in advance.
11 replies
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
bowmah wrote: Alrighty. It's time to purchase a new game console. Not married to any, but would like it to contain family titles as well as auto racing (tru to life, not arcade style) and NBA. Based on these, probably looking at PS4 or XBox right?

Pros and cons between Xbox and PS4? Hardware, quirks, limitations, controller battery life, noisy hardware, media player capabilities, "smart" capabilities etc...

Would love all feedback. Thanks in advance.
Focus on getting a wife
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
2706 posts
355 upvotes
North York
Some of the answers to your questions are fairly straightforward and easy to find, just do some research (no offence intended).
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
TheRed wrote: Focus on getting a wife
"Join Date: May 4th, 2009

Focus on finishing school... and moving out of your parent's basement. ;)
Jun 1, 2007
14 posts
2 upvotes
Canada

Honestly, there are the odd sales (eBay, for example) but for the most part, the best way to save money is in a bundle of some kind.

Last I heard it was $450 for the PS4 or $499 for the XBOne. I've seen both for cheaper (especially if you get the XBOne minus the Kinect).

I haven't been monitoring the sales.

I have both. Base the decision on two things principally... What do your friends play? And what exclusives interest you more?

Full disclosure: I have always been a Sony guy, but there are some really redeeming things about the XBOne.

The controller life on the XBOne is better, but the install times are way longer.

I'm happy I have both, but either one would offer you a great experience. If you forced me to pick, I think I'd still go with a PS4, but the difference is minimal.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
Great feed back @Mathalete!

Looks like I just have to keep an eye out for sales and set up alerts here.

Not looking to play with any other friends but will probably require the console to have some family friendly titles. Maybe something that younger children can play? Quickly checked out BB and saw PS4 had some fun titles. To be honest, don't think I will buy too many titles. Will probably pick up an auto racing one and maybe Minescraft (ouch)? lol

I like the look of the PS4, is it loud? It looks much smaller and may not have much heat dissipation?

Xbox One looks to have slightly lower hardware, probably why you are seeing longer install times.

Hey, can you tell me if either of these can act as a stable media streamer to a LAN?

Also, what is all this about online membserships and getting 2 games a month etc... I am from teh genration where you buy a title and you keep it forever. Or until the console dies. How do both membership systems work?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2863 posts
2537 upvotes
Vancouveresque
The PS4 is not loud. I don't have an Xbox One so I can't provide a comparison there.

DLNA media support is apparently coming to the Xbox One this month as part of the next software update. No word on DLNA support for the PS4. I'd probably get a Chromecast for $35 rather than use a game console for streaming, however.

The Xbox One does have lower performance overall versus the PS4, but it's not that noticeable really. Several games have had higher resolutions available for PS4 as compared to the Xbox One version of the same game.

Both consoles require a monthly subscription in order to play games online. Additionally, they release a few free games every month (you have to go in to the appropriate store and 'purchase' the games in order to get them while they're on sale) and you can keep playing them as long as you're still subscribed to the service. These are usually not AAA games, and not usually new. Most commonly indie and/or older games, but still worthwhile.

The Xbox One now has a $399 version out without the Kinect camera. The PS4 is $449 in Canada. Deals do pop up in Hot Deals for each of these though.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
If both the videogame and the request-a-deal forums are broken you should advise the mods instead of littering this one. With the number of posts you should know this...not rocket science.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
@GeeCee, thanks for the feedback. Do you think not use your console as a media streamer to lessen the wear and tear? I think that is a valid point.

Also appreciate the heads on the type of games available through the online services.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Ps4 hands down. 1080P vs 900P.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
So this really is a pretty tight race between Xbox One and PS4. Been reading a bit more here and there. Does anyone have any more feedback? :) Would appreciate it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)