Shopping Discussion

Best Canadian mobile carrier? - for One Plus One..but any smartphone / voice n data

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2014 10:18 am
Tags:
None
Mar 7, 2011
675 posts
472 upvotes
Winnipeg

Best Canadian mobile carrier? - for One Plus One..but any smartphone / voice n data

Picking up the One Plus One....What are the best carriers. I want to avoid the "big 3" scumbags, mainly rogers.

Too many options. Best deal?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4783 posts
1328 upvotes
Richmond
virgin mobile, fido,chatr and koodo are big 3 flanker brands. If you want to avoid the big 3, i would suggest mts given you are located in manitoba. If elsewhere say in vancouver, calgary, edmonton or southern ontario, i would suggest wind mobile
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6565 upvotes
Toronto
bluebellrose wrote: virgin mobile, fido,chatr and koodo are big 3 flanker brands. If you want to avoid the big 3, i would suggest mts given you are located in manitoba. If elsewhere say in vancouver, calgary, edmonton or southern ontario, i would suggest wind mobile
works on Mobilicity too...
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
You don't have much options, if you want to completely avoid the big 3 and their sister companies.

If you're in Winnipeg I highly recommend you support MTS, to help out the small players and encourage competition.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
FWIW Virgin and PC Mobile are not owned by any of the "3 sucumbags". Yes they are MNVOs and use their networks (Bell and Rogers respectively), but, they have to pay Bell and Rogers at wholesale rates for that, as mandated by the government. I am not really sure if Bell/Rogers make much money on these arrangements.

My wife's phone is with Virgin and she has a pretty good plan there right now with 1GB of data, canada wide calling, and all of the bells and whistles for $45. If you are bringing your own phone you get an extra 10% off of whatever rate plan you choose at Virgin - and no contract. I see right now they don't have 1GB for $45, but with Virgin you can switch your plan whenever you want no charge so just keep an eye on their promos and switch when theres a deal on...

You also get some other little perks with Virgin that can add up, like 2 for 1 movie tickets and 20% off at H&M and stuff... this could be saving you and extra $20 or so a month easily...
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
I am with Koodo and have zero complaints about them.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2011
1021 posts
70 upvotes
Dieppe
brunes wrote: FWIW Virgin and PC Mobile are not owned by any of the "3 sucumbags". Yes they are MNVOs and use their networks (Bell and Rogers respectively), but, they have to pay Bell and Rogers at wholesale rates for that, as mandated by the government. I am not really sure if Bell/Rogers make much money on these arrangements.
Bell does own Virgin.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
Joelllle wrote: Bell does own Virgin.
Ah I did not know.. looks like that happened in 2009.... ah well everything else I said is true :)
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)