• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2014 5:47 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 30, 2012
176 posts
15 upvotes

How winners can sell for less

How winners can sell for less the branded products?
9 replies
May 20, 2010
801 posts
118 upvotes
Pretty easy - they buy last seasons leftovers from the larger retailers/brand stores. Which is why everything is odd sizes, or terribly tacky/gaudy if it's a normal size.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
Offspring22 wrote: Pretty easy - they buy last seasons leftovers from the larger retailers/brand stores. Which is why everything is odd sizes, or terribly tacky/gaudy if it's a normal size.
Offspring is exaggerating, in that there is plenty of very nice stuff at Winners in all kinds of sizes. But yes the reason they sell it cheaper is they sell leftovers from department stores. At the end of the season when the new fashions come in, Macys boxes up all their clothes and sells them to Marshalls/Winners/TJ Max at a big discount. It's the same reason outlet stores sell cheap, they are selling the fashions from the last year or the last season. Think of Winners as an outlet store for department stores.

Winners Homesense, I am not sure if they operate on that model or not, but they probably do.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
They also sell "seconds" of products, especially from the housewares and bedding area...still functional but imperfect so can't sell at full price.

For clothing, you really need the time to browse the racks...if you want super tacky, check out the clearance clothing at Winners...nothing like being rejected twice, lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1800 posts
625 upvotes
Vancouver
Winners just sucks now. Gone are the days of finding name brand clothing at discounts. Noes it's mostly all cheap Calvin Klein and buffalo clothing. Probably manufacturers make clothes specifically for winners.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1358 posts
1000 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I know Homesense sources their own items from China (and around the world - depending on the item) now. A lot of the home items like vases, floral arrangements, seasonal decorations are sourced from China. I know one of the TJ Max employees in Hong Kong who does the sourcing. "Some" items are still end-lots from other stores, but A LOT of stuff is now made specifically for Homesense / Homegoods (in US).
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
I used to regularly get my children's clothes from Winners...now it's hit or miss whether I find anything worth buying. I noticed over time that the quality of their brand name goods have gone down in quality...the DC boarding shoes had thinner soles, Hurley shirts were very thin, and the hoodies were no longer cotton, but more a 50-50 blend. These days, I'm more inclined to buy on sale at the premium clothing stores - there's no sense buying cheap shoes that wear out prematurely, especially for children.

We have a Gap and BR outlet in town and there is a permanent 40-70% off sign on their window...people have gotten used to those flashy signs enticing them to buy. Just like buying stuff on sale at CT, Sears and The Bay...everyone knows never to pay full price.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
1963 posts
788 upvotes
I think it depends on the store; some will stock more designer items (I'd heard years ago that this is why they used to ask for your postal code at the cashier - for demographics).

Some of the Calgary stores still carry men's brand names: Diesel/True Religion/Adriano Goldsmied/Gstar/Joe's Jeans. I'vee seen anything from Ray Ban to Gucci to Carerra sunglasses....
Can't really comment on the women's wear though
sandy_beach wrote: Winners just sucks now. Gone are the days of finding name brand clothing at discounts. Noes it's mostly all cheap Calvin Klein and buffalo clothing. Probably manufacturers make clothes specifically for winners.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1800 posts
625 upvotes
Vancouver
toram23901 wrote: But A LOT of stuff is now made specifically for Homesense / Homegoods (in US).
Exactly. Just like winners. Manufacturers are making clothes just for winners under license. This is why the bulk of their stock is ALWAYS Calvin Klein, buffalo , DC, quicksilver branded clothing that has no fit. Then they put a fictitious "regular price" on the tag lol.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)