Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4877 posts
2787 upvotes
Ontario

RECALL: [Lowes] Briggs & Stratton 205cc 24-in Dual Stage Snow Blower ******

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, moderators please move to appropriate area I just needed to get the word out ASAP as a lot of you have purchased this unit!

PRODUCT RECALL

Briggs & Stratton 205cc 24-in Dual Stage Snow Blower

Product Link: http://www.lowes.ca/snow-removal/briggs ... 57686.html

Description
I just ordered this 24" Briggs and Stratton from Lowes like 20 mins ago and the store called me saying they just discovered a flaw with the auger system yesterday, and have reported it to Briggs & Stratton. They are recalling the snowblowers and they should know next week when replacement units will be available. They said one customer bought four of them and they all had the same manufacturing defect so its not limited to just one store, it's all the units in all the stores. I spoke to the Kingston, Ontario store for reference. They said they will honor the price but can't guarantee a date at this point. They are putting people on a list for call back when fixed units arrive and will honour prices plus discount codes apparently. CALL THE STORE IF THEY HAVEN'T CALLED YOU. They said they are not allowed to sell anymore of these units due to the fault.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
1597 posts
37 upvotes
Montreal
I
Slawek wrote: I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, moderators please move to appropriate area I just needed to get the word out ASAP as a lot of you have purchased this unit!

PRODUCT RECALL

Briggs & Stratton 205cc 24-in Dual Stage Snow Blower

Product Link: http://www.lowes.ca/snow-removal/briggs ... 57686.html

Description
I just ordered this 24" Briggs and Stratton from Lowes like 20 mins ago and the store called me saying they just discovered a flaw with the auger system yesterday, and have reported it to Briggs & Stratton. They are recalling the snowblowers and they should know next week when replacement units will be available. They said one customer bought four of them and they all had the same manufacturing defect so its not limited to just one store, it's all the units in all the stores. I spoke to the Kingston, Ontario store for reference. They said they will honor the price but can't guarantee a date at this point. They are putting people on a list for call back when fixed units arrive and will honour prices plus discount codes apparently. CALL THE STORE IF THEY HAVEN'T CALLED YOU. They said they are not allowed to sell anymore of these units due to the fault.
Thank you for this i almost drove 200km to pick one up in Ottawa
" give me back my sock you goat bastard "
Sep 18, 2009
169 posts
21 upvotes
I just called Orleans store in Ottawa and the guy in seasonal had no idea about this. Anyone else hear anything?

Still haven't prepped mine yet so will wait to see what happens.
Sep 18, 2009
169 posts
21 upvotes
Just talked to Kingston lowes and confirmed OPs story of 4 units with an auger issue. He could not explain the full issue as he was not involved directly.

He suggested calling Briggs and Stratton rather than lowes as lowes is waiting to hear from them but the Kingston store alone has stopped selling them.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1163 posts
210 upvotes
I think this is the same one we ordered a few weeks ago. We had it delivered and tested it a few days later. Seemed fine till we tried to engage the auger and then it made a horrible grinding noise. that's when we noticed that the impeller (I think that's what it's called) was scraping the edge of the metal

went back to lowes and the first lady we talked to said that it was supposed to be like that. but after making enough noise they finally agreed to ship us a new one and pick up the broken one.
Dec 13, 2009
75 posts
5 upvotes
FWIW, I picked up the same snowblower from Newmarket store yesterday. Tested it out today, everything works great. No suspicious noises, no grinding marks from the auger or impeller. Will post if I run into any issues.
Can't believe that I'm saying it, but can't wait for the snow :) ))
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4877 posts
2787 upvotes
Ontario
I went to the Belleville store to ask if they knew anything about this and they had no idea. Worst "recall" ever. Looks like Kingston got the bulk of the bad units.
Jul 28, 2008
91 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
Just called Briggs and Stratton and the lowes which I purchased the unit from and they don't know anything about a recall or this issue in general
Nov 22, 2004
334 posts
70 upvotes
Mississauga
I have the same unit. I started up the unit last week, and engaged the auger, but did not hear any unusual noises. It may be an issue with a few units.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you tried.
Jul 28, 2008
91 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
Just spoke to Briggs Canada and they have confirmed this is NOT A RECALL, and there was one reported case at their dealer in Kingston, where the impeller had scraped the paint on the inside of the auger. Recalls typically only affect safety and this is not the case as per B&S and local lowes store.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1163 posts
210 upvotes
plus my case at the brampton lowes. think either way, if you bought one of these and haven't tested/inspected the auger system yet, you probably should just to be safe.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2001
8234 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
jarmstrong wrote: Just talked to Kingston lowes and confirmed OPs story of 4 units with an auger issue. He could not explain the full issue as he was not involved directly.

He suggested calling Briggs and Stratton rather than lowes as lowes is waiting to hear from them but the Kingston store alone has stopped selling them.
Sounds like it was the person installing these at that Kingston Store no???
Jul 28, 2008
91 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like it might be the installer, I spoke to three other lowes and they haven't heard anything like this or had any issues. They spoke extremely highly of these units
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4877 posts
2787 upvotes
Ontario
dilmatik wrote: Just spoke to Briggs Canada and they have confirmed this is NOT A RECALL, and there was one reported case at their dealer in Kingston, where the impeller had scraped the paint on the inside of the auger. Recalls typically only affect safety and this is not the case as per B&S and local lowes store.
Thank you for posting this. Kingston management are clearly *****. They called it a full blown recall
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2001
8234 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
This =>
Slawek wrote: Thank you for posting this. Kingston management are clearly *****. They called it a full blown recall