None
Penalty Box
Apr 16, 2012
3565 posts
688 upvotes
Greely

Where to invest $50K???

Hey guise!

I managed to accumulate $50,000 over last 5 years and I am looking for advice on how to invest $50,000! I am thinking of maayyyybe stocks but I get really nervous about it!!

I'm open to anything.

Thanks!
108 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
techcrium wrote: Hey guise!

I managed to accumulate $50,000 over last 5 years and I am looking for advice on how to invest $50,000! I am thinking of maayyyybe stocks but I get really nervous about it!!

I'm open to anything.

Thanks!
Look at the thread "Where to invest 75k" where i recommended the OP to look at the thread "Looking to invest 35k"

Is it obvious that i'm a developer? Doing some nested loops here.
Jan 31, 2014
96 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
Invest CAD in XIU and USD in SPY if you want equity exposure. These are the largest 1:1 ETFs that follow the S&P 60 TSX and S&P 500 in the respective markets.
Mar 13, 2009
781 posts
212 upvotes
Maple
theeconomist wrote: Invest CAD in XIU and USD in SPY. These are the largest 1:1 ETFs that follow the S&P 60 TSX and S&P 500 in the respective markets.
And then wait for another 2008 and watch your money losing 30-50%.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1912 posts
1314 upvotes
Mississauga
flafson wrote: Look at the thread "Where to invest 75k" where i recommended the OP to look at the thread "Looking to invest 35k"

I think you just created an endless loop to the other thread LOL
Jul 28, 2014
123 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Word of advice to OP, don't do anything that anyone says to do in this thread, until more information is provided by you. This includes what your current job is, what your income is like, what your goals for these funds are, what your risk is, how would you feel if you lost 10,20,30% of these funds. Do you have additional savings or only these? What is your investment knowledge like? Have you invested before?
flafson wrote: Look at the thread "Where to invest 75k" where i recommended the OP to look at the thread "Looking to invest 35k"

I saw this as well and was like really? :|
Jun 17, 2005
301 posts
287 upvotes
Etobicoke
You know what I would do if I had $50,000? I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities...
Jan 31, 2014
96 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
Then wait long enough, you'll have gotten all the money you lost and made money. Suggest to me a safer strategy to have exposure in the equity market. There isn't one. And this is a fact.
ak1004 wrote: And then wait for another 2008 and watch your money losing 30-50%.
Banned
Sep 10, 2014
694 posts
145 upvotes
shpinktaar wrote: You know what I would do if I had $50,000? I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities...
You know what I would do if I had 50k?.
I'd not be here asking what to do with 50k
Jan 31, 2014
96 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
I suggest you speak for yourself. There are members on this forum equipped to offer advice and just that, advice. I, for one, am providing advice that I would follow myself if I wanted equity exposure.
TKDKidd wrote: Word of advice to OP, don't do anything that anyone says to do in this thread, until more information is provided by you. This includes what your current job is, what your income is like, what your goals for these funds are, what your risk is, how would you feel if you lost 10,20,30% of these funds. Do you have additional savings or only these? What is your investment knowledge like? Have you invested before?

I saw this as well and was like really? :|
Mar 13, 2009
781 posts
212 upvotes
Maple
theeconomist wrote: Then wait long enough, you'll have gotten all the money you lost and made money. Suggest to me a safer strategy to have exposure in the equity market. There isn't one. And this is a fact.
As we know, timing is everything. Those who invested at the top of the stock market, sometimes have to wait 10+ years just to get their money back.

The answer is simple: hedging. I believe that investing in the stock market without hedging is like driving a car without insurance.
Jan 31, 2014
96 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
Tell me when you or anyone had to wait 10+ years just to get the principal back because you purchased XIU or SPY at their highest points.
ak1004 wrote: As we know, timing is everything. Those who invested at the top of the stock market, sometimes have to wait 10+ years just to get their money back.

The answer is simple: hedging. I believe that investing in the stock market without hedging is like driving a car without insurance.
Sep 18, 2012
405 posts
365 upvotes
BRAMPTON
ak1004 wrote: As we know, timing is everything. Those who invested at the top of the stock market, sometimes have to wait 10+ years just to get their money back.

Nobody can time the market. The key is dont dump all your money in at once.

1. Dollar cost average over time
2. Always keep some cash at hand so if there is a major dip, buy more
3. Dont panic sell in any downturn.
Jul 28, 2014
123 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON
theeconomist wrote: I suggest you speak for yourself. There are members on this forum equipped to offer advice and just that, advice. I, for one, am providing advice that I would follow myself if I wanted equity exposure.
He never said he wanted equity exposure. Matter of fact, he stated the thought of investing in the market frightened him. The fact that he is coming to a forum and asking these type of questions without providing any advice is often indicative of the fact that he/she has little self-directed, self-guided investing experience. Hence the reason for my statement. Everyone is going to have different needs. Maybe he needs to invest the funds to buy a home in a year. Equity exposure doesn't make sense at that point. Telling everyone to invest in the market or ETFs without having an appreciation as to where they stand is indicative of an untrained armchair/watercooler advising that ends up resulting with the bad name that investing and advisors get.
Mar 13, 2009
781 posts
212 upvotes
Maple
parmalat wrote: Nobody can time the market. The key is dont dump all your money in at once.

1. Dollar cost average over time
2. Always keep some cash at hand so if there is a major dip, buy more
3. Dont panic sell in any downturn.
Excellent advice.

I still remember "experts" on CNBC giving similar advice in 2008 when asked what to do with Citigroup stock after it declined from $50 to $25. Buy more they said, it will recover. And it pays 10% dividend. Fast forward few months - Citigroup was trading below $1. It did recover since then.. to $5 split adjusted. Those who bought at $50? Their grand grand grand children might get their money back.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Dude's a troll!
He's a frequent poster in this forum and "self-acclaimed" expert in all matters related to finance.
Jan 31, 2014
96 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
And my advice pertained to when and if anyone wants equity exposure. As a matter of fact, this advice is applicable to people with little market knowledge. It is especially applicable to people who want equity exposure but are scared of doing something wrong. Whether or not equity exposure makes sense is what OP needs to decide. I provided my advice for when and if OP wants equity exposure.
TKDKidd wrote: He never said he wanted equity exposure. Matter of fact, he stated the thought of investing in the market frightened him. The fact that he is coming to a forum and asking these type of questions without providing any advice is often indicative of the fact that he/she has little self-directed, self-guided investing experience. Hence the reason for my statement. Everyone is going to have different needs. Maybe he needs to invest the funds to buy a home in a year. Equity exposure doesn't make sense at that point. Telling everyone to invest in the market or ETFs without having an appreciation as to where they stand is indicative of an untrained armchair/watercooler advising that ends up resulting with the bad name that investing and advisors get.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2009
1081 posts
456 upvotes
Just north.
RE in Vancouver, isn't that what OP always suggested in other posts?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)