• Nov 26th, 2014 7:55 am
Tags:
None
Dec 20, 2006
572 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa

Question for Canada Post carriers

I just had a question about delivery attempts.

Here are my tracking details:

2014/11/24 10:16 Out for delivery
2014/11/24 AM (*no actual time stamp) Attempted delivery. Notice card left indicating where item can be picked up.
2014/11/24 15:31 Item available for pickup (not available at location)

My question is why the carrier didn't leave the slip. Not on the door and not in the community mailbox.

On Canada Post's site it says:

If we attempted delivery today, it is possible that we couldn’t leave the card at the time of attempted delivery. You’ll receive it the next business day with your regular mail.

What is a possible reason that the card couldn't be left? If the package is marked as delivered, shouldn't it be available for pick up?

This has happened multiple times and it's hard to get my head around the reasoning without having some inside knowledge.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
Vanno wrote: I just had a question about delivery attempts.

Here are my tracking details:

2014/11/24 10:16 Out for delivery
2014/11/24 AM (*no actual time stamp) Attempted delivery. Notice card left indicating where item can be picked up.
2014/11/24 15:31 Item available for pickup (not available at location)

My question is why the carrier didn't leave the slip. Not on the door and not in the community mailbox.

On Canada Post's site it says:

If we attempted delivery today, it is possible that we couldn’t leave the card at the time of attempted delivery. You’ll receive it the next business day with your regular mail.

What is a possible reason that the card couldn't be left? If the package is marked as delivered, shouldn't it be available for pick up?

This has happened multiple times and it's hard to get my head around the reasoning without having some inside knowledge.
Maybe the slip blew away? Is it in a community mailbox? Why dont you head to the local post office and check if the package is ready after 6pm with your ID's?
Dec 20, 2006
572 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
Financials wrote: Maybe the slip blew away? Is it in a community mailbox? Why dont you head to the local post office and check if the package is ready after 6pm with your ID's?
Nothing in the mailbox and she's only come to the house once in the last year and a half.

There was nothing at the pickup location.

Still nothing today, but she could come up to 5pm.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4783 posts
1328 upvotes
Richmond
I guess you're looking for beachdude. hope he chimes in soon
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
Something I found out recently when I had a temp mail carrier is that if your house is more than 0.5km away from the community mailbox than the card can just be left there if it doesn't fit in the box. My house is exactly 0.5km away from the box. My normal carrier always delivers, this temp one didn't.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Vanno wrote: What is a possible reason that the card couldn't be left? If the package is marked as delivered, shouldn't it be available for pick up?
It may have been left on the outside (I've seen that a couple of times) and as someone else said, may have blown away.
Whatever you do, don't make a complaint about Beachdude not attempting delivery...he'll come to your door and put the hammer down. :P
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2012
2058 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jimboski wrote: Your mailman too lazy to card you and just scans it as attempted delivery for you to pick it up.
+1 this. Happened to me and the card came 2 days later. Mail man never came, I reviewed my cameras.
Dec 20, 2006
572 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
They've only delivered once to the house. Other times they use the package compartment of the community mailbox if it fits, or take it to the pick up location.

I checked last night at 6 pm and our mailbox was still empty. Checked this morning on the off chance she came after, nothing.

Texted my neighbour and he hasn't got mail for two days as well, so I am assuming that she hasn't come to our area for those two days.

Like I said, this isn't the first time this has happened. Nothing for two to three days and then the mailbox is stuffed with mail.

Just looking for some kind of explanation. Maybe her delivery area is too large, or maybe there wasn't enough mail to justify delivering it...who knows.
May 21, 2013
833 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal
Strange that you didn't even receive a card... I know the policy that if a parcel doesn't fit in your community mail box, the carrier doesn't even have to go to your door to deliver it. My guess is he left the card in the wrong community box.

As for you not getting mail, I could see your carrier being sick for 1/2 days and the post office not being able to fill her position for the time being. The mail just accumulated and you got everything when they could fill the route.