• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2014 10:46 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 19, 2011
662 posts
196 upvotes

Roku Box vs Stick?

I see the Roku Stick on Amazon for $50. I know very little about Roku except that it streams stuff from Tablets, right (such as Youtube and Netflix). I notice that the stick is cheaper, but is it a good purchase for an Xmas present?
4 replies
Nov 25, 2006
402 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa
All depends on what you want as there are some differences. I use 2 of the sticks in the kids rooms and run a Roku 3 in the recroom. Best go to the Roku website and look at their comparison chart. The sticks are wifi only where as the Roku 3 can do wifi or Ethernet. The stick is sluggish compared to the Roku 3 but the kids don't notice (just me). The Roku 3 will cost you almost double the stick price.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
check youtube for reviews/comparison between both
Dec 25, 2010
982 posts
359 upvotes
Vancouver
How long before Roku 4 comes out?
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2002
1359 posts
870 upvotes
GTA
Been researching this too. From what I've read the HDMI stick is equivalent to a Roku 1 in terms of performance. But the HDMI stick being newer has some extra stuff which I don't quite remember, probably like WIFI N. I do keep reading how sluggish the stick is, which I guess means the Roku 1 is the same?! Roku 2 and 3 have a earphone jack in the remote, which sounds cool.

Oh, here's Roku's own comparison

I don't like the idea of Netflix not getting updated with the Roku 1 and 2, so I guess I'm getting the stick.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)