• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2014 11:11 am
Tags:
None
Aug 7, 2007
147 posts
30 upvotes

DUTY FREE Canadian cigarettes ??

We stopped at the DUTY FREE (Lewiston, entering Canada) to buy cigarettes. The selection of Canadian cigarettes was very limited –no duMaurier; no Rothmans nor Players etc & I was told they would not be re-stocking them in ANY of the DUTY FREE stores….

Does anyone know why?
4 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
wannadeal wrote: We stopped at the DUTY FREE (Lewiston, entering Canada) to buy cigarettes. The selection of Canadian cigarettes was very limited –no duMaurier; no Rothmans nor Players etc & I was told they would not be re-stocking them in ANY of the DUTY FREE stores….

Does anyone know why?
New tax hikes came into effect last February...is it still cheaper to shop duty free for your cigarettes? I suspect the tax hikes had something to do with it...
"Even so-called “duty free” tobacco won’t be spared from the tax hike and will now face the same federal excise taxes as smokes and manufactured tobacco for sale in the domestic market."
:arrow: http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/02/11 ... nd-cigars/
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4248 posts
297 upvotes
GVA
wannadeal wrote: We stopped at the DUTY FREE (Lewiston, entering Canada) to buy cigarettes. The selection of Canadian cigarettes was very limited –no duMaurier; no Rothmans nor Players etc & I was told they would not be re-stocking them in ANY of the DUTY FREE stores….

Does anyone know why?
Most of the stores are small chains or independents, there is no way that they could speak for all the duty free stores.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3260 posts
909 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Quit smoking, start vaping!
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
It's the same at all Canadian bound duty free stores. You're better off buying them on your way into the U.S. The duty free crossing into Ogdensburg has a big selection of Cdn brands - $45-$50. I know the one at Hill Island also has the same type of inventory.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)