Shopping Discussion

Sears Canada Rant Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2014 10:18 am
Nov 2, 2009
46 posts
15 upvotes

Sears Canada Rant Thread

I ordered from Sears Canada Online Kenmore 50 pint dehumidifier. Received email and voicemail confirmation that the product will be delivered on November 28, 2014 between 8a.m. and 6p.m. I waited all day but the product was not delivered. I called Sears customer service, the delivery was rescheduled for December 3 between 10:30a.m. and 12:30p.m. The delivery was an hour late but it finally arrived. Upon opening of the box, I noticed that the unit was previously opened and re-taped. The nylon packing straps that wrap the box were cut and placed inside the box. The unit looked new, perhaps it was a floor model, but I paid for a brand new unit. So far it is working fine. I gave negative customer survey. They called me few days later. I thought it was about the survey, but it was only to sell me extended warranty.
Extremely poor customer service.

Warning!!! Two delivery people deliver the product. One is holding the product, the other is holding the paperwork. The person holding the paperwork asks to quickly put your initials in few places. He does not explain what is being initialed. Well when they left I checked the paper and it turned out I initialed: "Product Is Damage Free" "Yes", "Customer Declined Inspection" "Yes". This was my first home delivery from Sears and most likely the last. Based on my experience please do not get conned in to signing the papers in a rush. Take your time, reading what your are signing.
14 replies
Nov 2, 2009
46 posts
15 upvotes
Over the phone I declined Sears extended warranty. Well yesterday I received the extended warranty offer again by mail. The offer includes a very brief description and the last sentence in bold reads: "Complete terms and conditions will be sent to you upon purchase of contract." So basically you are to accept the contract with unknown conditions and then you will receive the details of the contract you accepted. Funny and sad, but true. I found it strange that they are pushing so hard a money-back extended warranty, which is to give back full purchase price of the extended warranty if I don't make any claims. Well this explains Sears's sneaky strategy: http://www.moneysense.ca/spend/money-ba ... ve-a-catch
Oct 7, 2009
764 posts
531 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for sharing your experience.
I am a Public Mobile subscriber
I am a Koodo subscriber
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2001
5231 posts
4105 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Sears sucks, #MyBrotherWorksAtSears
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1829 posts
311 upvotes
Mississauga
Have not shopped Sears in years. Customer service sucks. Everything about Sears sucks.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
And people wonder why Sears is shutting down
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
redpattison wrote: Have not shopped Sears in years. Customer service sucks. Everything about Sears sucks.
+1

A couple of nits:
1. You forgot to mention that there are umpteen threads on RFD about how badly Sears sucks, probably more than any other retailer.
2. Re "Everything about Sears sucks": Except Kenmore vacuum cleaners ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 2, 2007
325 posts
212 upvotes
Kitchener, Ontario
We ordered something from Sears in November to pick up at a local Sears Appliance store. A month goes by an no call or email. We call them back and they said they shipped it December 4th and don't know where it is. The store has no idea either. Sears refuses to help or give a refund. We did a charge back. Screw em!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Whenever you order an appliance that's going to be delivered, you're supposed to look over the appliance before accepting it and signing the papers. If you find that there is a dent, it's the wrong model, it's not the right size or amount, then you refuse to accept the delivery. This doesn't just apply to appliances but could also apply to stuff like windows or other home renovation products that you get delivered and sign for. Once you've signed for them, then it would be a huge headache to get it taken back to the supplier to rectify things. If you don't accept the delivery, it goes back on the delivery truck.
Feb 1, 2014
802 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Out of the 2, sears is the garbage. Cheap stuff, cheap service.
Nov 2, 2009
46 posts
15 upvotes
Becks you are absolutely right. Usually when you order major appliances they unpack them so you have a chance to look at them. In my case one of the delivery guys was holding the box which looked undamaged, and the anxiety of waiting for the second day, I just wanted to sign whatever they gave me, take the box and shot the door. It's once they left I noticed that the box was resealed, and when I opened the box and saw inside the two cut nylon straps that go on the outside of the box, that's when my blood boiled. This dehumidifier must have been the floor display model because it looked new and unused. So far it is working fine. It's just this whole buying process is not what you expect from reputable and well established company. You feel like your buying from some "fly-by-night company". Your waiting all day for scheduled delivery. Nobody calls, nobody comes. You go online to see if your order was shipped. The order status page does not work. After waiting all day for nearly 12 hours you call customer service, which without any remorse tells you that your shipment will not be delivered today. It can only be delivered in 5 days. Finally your shipment arrives, the delivery guy points a finger where you should put your initials without telling you that you are waiving your right to inspection. Then you find out that the brand new unit you purchased is not a brand new unit after all, because this "reputable company" has sent you a repackaged or refurbished unit. You call the customer service to complain, and again without any remorse they tell you "try it out if it does not work bring it to any Sears store for refund". No apology, no talk of exchange or customer satisfaction. In my view Sears wants to be like Zellers, and I truly believe that in not so distant future it will be like today's Zellers.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4248 posts
297 upvotes
GVA
Sears is essentially a fly by night company now, could go bankrupt easily.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
rommelrommel wrote: could go bankrupt easily.
Reputationally, it already is.

Financially, any day now (especially if they have a lousy Christmas.)

For consumers it would be no great loss.

[Speaking as a once very steadfast, loyal Sears customer.]
veni, vidi, Visa
Mar 23, 2013
706 posts
130 upvotes
Kitchener
Good riddance that they are shutting down many locations. It is scams and poor customer service like this that got them there.