Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9103 posts
4568 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…

Closed Credit Card still on file after months

I was doing some cleanup of my credit cards and cancelling ones that I didn't use a few months ago. All went fine except for one, my Scotiabank Visa. This one for some odd reason the card is cancelled on my online banking, but it's still stuck on my credit file. I tried contacting both TransUnion and EquiFax telling them the account is closed, TransUnion said they can't remove it because "there's no record of it being closed", and EquiFax told me to wait it out, but it never went away. I called Scotiabank and they confirmed it's closed and paid off completely on their end.

It's odd because I cancelled a Scotia Amex a month ago, and that was alerted on Equifax just two weeks after.

Thoughts on how to sort this out?
4 replies
Oct 26, 2011
242 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
What does it say. It's normal to be on your file if I'm not mistaken just at the comments section it should say something like: closed at constumer request OR No payment 30-90 days late OR account paid. Even though it may be closed it should still show up for a few years and may not state the closed part depending on what the institution reports.

If that's not the case then just file a revision and fax them what you want to change with validation from scotia bank maybe.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
I encountered something similar, except it was a card that was cancelled many years ago (off my credit file) and now active and being reported again.
My situation appears to be a result of TD taking over MBNA and somehow re-activated this card!
Issue is clearly with the FI and will need to be resolved with them as the credit bureaus can only report what they receive.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9103 posts
4568 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
hesuhtate wrote: What does it say. It's normal to be on your file if I'm not mistaken just at the comments section it should say something like: closed at constumer request OR No payment 30-90 days late OR account paid. Even though it may be closed it should still show up for a few years and may not state the closed part depending on what the institution reports.

If that's not the case then just file a revision and fax them what you want to change with validation from scotia bank maybe.
This was what I was looking for. All my other accounts have this, even the Scotia Amex, that's how I noticed.

I called Scotia again and they told me to take it up with a branch...
Dec 4, 2004
730 posts
729 upvotes
GTA
ToniCipriani wrote: I called Scotia again and they told me to take it up with a branch...
This is the reason I discontinued doing business with Scotia. You can not do anything over the phone or online, everything must be done at the branch, during bankers' hours. Even then, with a branch completely devoid of customers, I have had to wait 30 minutes to speak to an advisor.