• Mar 27th, 2024 6:55 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 3, 2014
48 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto

Home Trust Preferred cashback VISA, no-AF, no-FTF

I have mortgage with Home Trust. Today I received an offer in the mail to get a Preferred Visa with 1 % cash back, no annual fee and Roadside Assistance at no extra cost.
It says benefits like this and then it mentions, special offer : a pre-approved Preferred Visa * Card.
Then at the end it is asking me to apply for this card, either by mail, by phone or online. I checked the form send in mail, it has my consent to check credit bureau.
I checked online and it is also asking for all information and asking to apply for this card.
I am confused if it is pre approved or not ?
And, is it good card to add on my credit utilization ?
Thread Summary

Notes:
• NO PIN CHANGE!!! YOU HAVE TO USE THE MAILED PIN.
• PIN changes now supported. Call 1-833-217-8090. Once PIN is changed you have to insert card at an ATM/terminal. Enter OLD PIN at first prompt then use NEW PIN on subsequent transactions.
• Max ten forex transactions per day.
• Paper statements are no longer mandatory. It is now possible to suppress paper statements
• HT VISA won't work at US Gas Station which requires Zip Code verification. This is a known issue due to US-issued card/Foreign Address incompatibility. There won't be a fix anytime soon.
• Cashback will be issued once a year, on the January statement.
[Notes updated 26Jan19 by bylo.]

Road side assistance is @ 1-877-585-3232.
4 service calls per year
5km limit + "around $3" per extra km
Covered in Canada and US
winching / boost / key service / gas delivery / tire change are covered
If you have a supplementary card, that person is covered as well, though the rep had no details about the availability of the supplementary card.
This product is currently not available to residents of Quebec. Website and online self-serve in English only, but customer service via phone available in French, too.

Roadside Assistance no longer offered since May 31, 2021.

----- Added 06Apr18 by bylo ----- (from preferred-visa-card-home-trust-1658841/152/#p29172904 )
Home Trust Visa • Contacts
1-877-585-3232 • Auto Assistance
1-800-847-2911 • Stolen Cards
1-800-847-2113 • Stolen Cards [International]
1-877-727-6883 • HTV Customer Service
1-416-775-5455 • HTV Customer Service(a)
1-866-358-4140 • Health and Legal
1-877-686-7677 • Purchase Security (RSA Canada)
1-888-281-7793 • Home Trust Main, ezCard (M-F 8-8 EST)
1-416-777-5851 • HTV Customer Service(b)
1-866-839-3485 • Stolen Cards (24/7)
1-833-217-8090 • Change PIN
Online access - link here

Link to car rental coverage doc (that ships with the card) here

------ Added 10Nov19 by bylo ---- (from preferred-visa-card-home-trust-1658841/152/#p29172904 )
Preauthorized Debits (PADs)
H/T to @LeftyNorth
----- Added 21Dec21 by bylo -----
HTV has now implemented OTP/2FA at login. The prompt gives you a choice of SMS or voice call. If your phone number is a Canada-only, e.g. a landline or a cell line with high roaming rates, then this could be a problem when travelling.

Account Services -> My Profile shows 4 different phone number slots however there is no way to add/change numbers on their site. I had to call 1-888-281-7793 • Home Trust Main, ezCard (M-F 8-8 EST) to get my VoIP number added. The agent said it could take up to 72 hours to see on the account.
5813 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1310 posts
718 upvotes
Montreal QC
Pre-approved is not guaranteed. Companies generally send pre-approved letters to people who they believe may be approved after credit verification while other companies send them in masses to anyone who has had a product with them in the past or current. You will always need to provide personal information that is up to date as well as consent for a credit verification.
Sep 24, 2006
606 posts
64 upvotes
Guelph, On
my husband had the same offer last year and he was pre approved - but I remember he was pre approved because of the mortgage he had with them.
Mar 3, 2014
48 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
triumpher wrote: Any One ? I need help.
So would that be a hard hit or soft hit on my credit check ? Any idea?
Mar 3, 2014
48 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
anastasia1009 wrote: my husband had the same offer last year and he was pre approved - but I remember he was pre approved because of the mortgage he had with them.
I too have a mortgage with Home Trust, the letter says that I am getting this because I am loyal customer of Home Trust. It also says I am pre - approved. The only part makes me think is they ask me to apply ( instead of accepting it, generally pre - approved offers have call of action as accepting the offer and not applying). And, in the paper application as well as online application both requires my personal information plus consent to check credit bureau.
Mar 3, 2014
48 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
MontrealBonjour wrote: Pre-approved is not guaranteed. Companies generally send pre-approved letters to people who they believe may be approved after credit verification while other companies send them in masses to anyone who has had a product with them in the past or current. You will always need to provide personal information that is up to date as well as consent for a credit verification.
So would that be a hard hit or soft hit on my credit check ? Any idea?
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1310 posts
718 upvotes
Montreal QC
triumpher wrote: So would that be a hard hit or soft hit on my credit check ? Any idea?
Hard hit, even if it's secured.
Sep 20, 2013
316 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
I was offered this card when I got my mortgage with hometrust last year. I didn't get a hard hit on my credit score but may be they used the same score as of mortgage one. I got the card within 3 months of getting a mortgage.
Mar 3, 2014
48 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
UPDATE : I called couple of times and figured out. This is actually not pre approved. Credit bureau must be done in order to get the card. This is one the misleading offer from Home Trust Company.
What I believe is having mortgage with them in good standing, they offer it saying that it's pre approved as they most likely won't disapprove it ( even if someone's rating is little lower than usual).
Oct 24, 2015
33 posts
2 upvotes
Concord, ON
this credit card is actually quite good, no annual fee, 0% foreign transaction fee, roadside assistance, 1% cashback
Aug 5, 2012
263 posts
68 upvotes
bluejaysrocks wrote: this credit card is actually quite good, no annual fee, 0% foreign transaction fee, roadside assistance, 1% cashback
If the roadside assistance is similar to CAA roadside assistance, then this would be attractive. A basic CAA membership costs $75.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
3009 posts
1629 upvotes
triumpher wrote: UPDATE : I called couple of times and figured out. This is actually not pre approved. Credit bureau must be done in order to get the card. This is one the misleading offer from Home Trust Company.
What I believe is having mortgage with them in good standing, they offer it saying that it's pre approved as they most likely won't disapprove it ( even if someone's rating is little lower than usual).
Nothing new with this definition of pre-approval, if you want to see it happening on mass scale then go see Tangerine MasterCard thread. Pre-approval these days just meals pre-approved limit should they choose to accept you. They're doing a hard check so there is a slight possibility of rejection should your credit record be less than stellar than compared to when they soft-queried it.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
4205 posts
505 upvotes
Calgary
Is there other cards that does this?. Thx
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
3009 posts
1629 upvotes
This card looks really good, too bad its only for Mortgage clients.
To those who have it right now, who is the Roadside Assistance provider?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2005
1087 posts
832 upvotes
Mississauga
I just got this card, it has a great mix of features including 0℅ foreign exchange surcharge.
Last edited by hopetindall on Mar 11th, 2017 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Mar 9, 2012
815 posts
430 upvotes
Drummondville, QC
LOL. The card design however... :facepalm:

Current credit card set up:
CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite: 4% groceries, 4% gas, 2% transit, 2% restaurants, 2% recurring bills
Tangerine MC World: 2% drugstore, 2% home improvement, 2% hotel-motel

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

mech9t5