Shopping Discussion

Are stores that collect beverage deposits supposed to give money back when returned?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2015 12:13 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4595 posts
19431 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Are stores that collect beverage deposits supposed to give money back when returned?

Are stores obligated to accept bottle/beverage returns if their store sells it and charged a deposit at the time of sale?

I know many stores don't take bottle/beverage returns IF they don't sell the item which makes sense.

But I went into a Shopper's Drug Mart and they would not take the bottle back even though they sell that drink and charge a deposit when it's sold.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
It's likely going to vary from region or province to province. The LCBO charges a deposit on liquor and beer containers. Good luck returning them there...gonna need to take them to beer store if you want your deposit back.

According to the above link, ya, you should be able to return it to the point of purchase as you are in BC.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
stovetop wrote: ...I went into a Shopper's Drug Mart and they would not take the bottle back even though they sell that drink and charge a deposit when it's sold.
Which location? I have returned an empty bottle back to SDM. It should be rinsed out and no ants.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4595 posts
19431 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Becks wrote: Which location? I have returned an empty bottle back to SDM. It should be rinsed out and no ants.
The sdm in downtown vancouver on burrard next to Victorias secret
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
^ Thanks. I've never been to that one.

You should make a complaint via the Shoppers Drug Mart website.
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
That must be a bit of a pain to collect for the store...in SK, we have bottle return depots (run by the intellectually disabled) to get back that bottle deposit.
Aug 4, 2014
491 posts
53 upvotes
North of GTA
Mars2012 wrote: That must be a bit of a pain to collect for the store...in SK, we have bottle return depots (run by the intellectually disabled) to get back that bottle deposit.
They have bottle depots in Alberta too. They were not the most cleanest places. The odd one was drive thru.

I don't see this system ever happening in Ontario due to them investing so much in the blue box program.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
SteveRoss wrote: They have bottle depots in Alberta too. They were not the most cleanest places. The odd one was drive thru.

I don't see this system ever happening in Ontario due to them investing so much in the blue box program.
Do they even collect deposits in Ontario on non-alcoholic bottles any more?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)