Personal Finance

Any experience with Sears Financial Voyage MasterCard?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2015 9:45 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3432 posts
1396 upvotes
Lévis

Any experience with Sears Financial Voyage MasterCard?

I'm interested in this card (or the non voyage one) and I like to have some feedback if possible. Do you have it, like it, any bad experience, etc? One thing that catch my eye is that they seems to be linked to Chase and I read many bad comment about them for the amazon card on amazon.ca product reviews.

Thanks
Pourquoi pas?
12 replies
Mar 29, 2015
164 posts
101 upvotes
London, ON
JP Morgan Chase currently owns the Sears card line but won't be renewing the contract in the fall (November 2015). To my knowledge there haven't been any other buyers yet, so it could mean you open this account now only to have it terminated in half a year.

Other than that, you get $30 in Sears bonus points and the interest rate is a non-competitive 19.99%. There are better cards out there, both in terms of interest rates and welcome offers.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3432 posts
1396 upvotes
Lévis
vegaling wrote: JP Morgan Chase currently owns the Sears card line but won't be renewing the contract in the fall (November 2015). To my knowledge there haven't been any other buyers yet, so it could mean you open this account now only to have it terminated in half a year.

Other than that, you get $30 in Sears bonus points and the interest rate is a non-competitive 19.99%. There are better cards out there, both in terms of interest rates and welcome offers.
Damn.

That being said, I don't care the interest rate as I always pay the full amount. Except when I neglect my buisness but it's rare.

Thanks for the head up. The Amazon card is less interesting to me and the reviews are average, I'll see. Oh well, back to http://itools-ioutils.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/S ... c-fra.aspx
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9298 posts
10311 upvotes
SPARTACVS wrote: Damn.

That being said, I don't care the interest rate as I always pay the full amount. Except when I neglect my buisness but it's rare.

Thanks for the head up. The Amazon card is less interesting to me and the reviews are average, I'll see. Oh well, back to http://itools-ioutils.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/S ... c-fra.aspx
It has no foreign transaction fees, all other cards add 2.5% to any purchase done with another currency than Canadian dollars. It is really really worth to get it for that alone.

Otherwise, I recommend the MBNA RTP/RWE, which is 2% cashback with $89 in yearly fees.
Aug 3, 2006
764 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
Curious what's so interesting about Sears cards? (besides the 2.5% forex perk)
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3432 posts
1396 upvotes
Lévis
BoogieMan wrote: Curious what's so interesting about Sears cards? (besides the 2.5% forex perk)
Not much. I'm not really interestedg in flight points because I'm picky when I travel. Amazon has average review and I shop a lot more at sears than amazon anyway. MC is a slight bonus because I don't like AE and costco accept MC.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10592 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
Amazon visa gives cashback as statement credits. Only the sign-up bonus is a Amazon giftcard

Better than the Sears in every way. Not to mention after Costco US moves to visa you'll benefit by getting the foreign exchange waiver
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1733 posts
727 upvotes
Toronto
Sears is not bad, but it seems Chase will discontinues with Sears credit card in this year. Not sure what will happen in Canadian market(Chase bestbuy credit card had already gone now).
Simple is the best.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3432 posts
1396 upvotes
Lévis
vegaling wrote: JP Morgan Chase currently owns the Sears card line but won't be renewing the contract in the fall (November 2015). To my knowledge there haven't been any other buyers yet, so it could mean you open this account now only to have it terminated in half a year.
Just curious, does that information is still up to date? Do you know where can I get that kind of information?

thank
Pourquoi pas?
Mar 3, 2015
699 posts
95 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
sears will discontinue.

if you must get store card there are much better store cards in the market now you should consider:

i have Walmart MC & PCF World MC
both have been great store cards so far with great welcome points.

With Walmart MC you get $25 bonus when you get your card in mail first time and $10 when you (activate) sign up online for e-statement first time.

with pcf mc world u get 20,000 bonus points $20 right you get the card and free one month euifax complete credit score check.
Mar 29, 2015
164 posts
101 upvotes
London, ON
SPARTACVS wrote: Just curious, does that information is still up to date? Do you know where can I get that kind of information?

thank
I haven't seen any updates. I check the news periodically because finance news would report if a deal was made between Sears and another financial company to take over Chase's accounts. I'm concerned about it mostly because I have the old school Sears card and am wondering if that will get closed or carried over by another company. There's only about two months left for another deal to be made, so getting a Sears mastercard now might be even riskier...
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3586 posts
1993 upvotes
Whitehorse
AFAIK it has not been announced who, if anyone, will replace Chase. It may well be Chase.

Yes, the contract will end, but that doesn't mean they can't agree on a new contract. I think Chase is one of the contenders.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)