Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

Staples: Sony DSCW80 Cyber-Shot for $169.82 (Reg. $249)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2007 9:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
2728 posts
52 upvotes

[Staples] Staples: Sony DSCW80 Cyber-Shot for $169.82 (Reg. $249)

Can't take credit for it as this deal has been mentioned in other threads by DragonGuardian, however I think it warrants its own thread. So here it is:

[IMG]http://www.staples.ca/ENG/images/produc ... _1_std.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... ode=WW&=&=

Staples JUST marked down the Sony DSCW80 Cyber-Shot Digital Camera to $199.82 from $249.82 and on top of that, you can use either of these coupon codes to get an additional $30 off (courtesy of the staples coupons thread)
$30 OFF $175
Code: 67549
Expires: December 12, 2007
Note: 67558 (from Eyedol's post) works too!
Free 1-day delivery too!

Way better than the Best Buy deal ($229 with 2gb Memory Stick), which I almost bought. You can get a brand name 2gb memory stick for $20 shipping included on eBay. After taxes, that's about $50 cheaper than the BB deal. Also, most other retailers have this camera listed for $249.99 for just the camera. Quite the deal for quite the camera.

Hurry though, there are only 23 instock in the online store as of right now.
34 replies
Nov 24, 2007
426 posts
4 upvotes
This is an excellent camera. I've had the pink version for a good 6 months now and it takes beautiful pictures, has a huge viewing screen as couldn't be easier to use.
Sep 24, 2005
516 posts
44 upvotes
You can get a brand name on a memory stick on eBay, but chances it won't have been manufactured (or guaranteed) by the company whose brand is silk-screened onto it.
Nov 24, 2007
426 posts
4 upvotes
CanadaRAM wrote: You can get a brand name on a memory stick on eBay, but chances it won't have been manufactured (or guaranteed) by the company whose brand is silk-screened onto it.
Staples had 2gb sony magigate memory card duos for $40
Nov 24, 2007
426 posts
4 upvotes
for $170 i'd jump on this deal like a fat girl on a donut.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
2728 posts
52 upvotes
DragonGuardian wrote: Not sure about the Sony one, but they have the Sandisk 2GB for 30$.
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... xedcode=WW

And from my experience, the SanDisk ones are a little bit faster.

Thanks for the credit OP :) It was not necessary but I appreciate that.
Ya right, thanks for mentioning the deal. I've been eyeing this camera for a few days now and I am so glad I didn't jump on that BB deal.
Nov 28, 2004
311 posts
Very good deal.. this camera got very good reviews too.. thanks OP!
Proud owner of Wii since launch day, Nov 19, 2006.
Wait time: 4 hours
Nov 24, 2007
426 posts
4 upvotes
OS44 wrote: which is better? this camera here or the Canon SD1000 mentioned in the other thread for the same price?
The sony is quite intuitive and it has a beautiful 2.5" screen
Apr 10, 2004
461 posts
116 upvotes
BC
I guess I need a new camera :twisted: . It was in stock for me and I got used the $30 coupon without any problems, and within a few mins got an email saying it will be delivered on Dec 4th.

It was a toss up between this or the canon sd1000, hope I made a good choice :confused:
Banned
Aug 17, 2004
534 posts
xdreamerII wrote: I guess I need a new camera :twisted: . It was in stock for me and I got used the $30 coupon without any problems, and within a few mins got an email saying it will be delivered on Dec 4th.

It was a toss up between this or the canon sd1000, hope I made a good choice :confused:
i really like the design of the sd1000 and they are pretty much the same camera in terms of size and features, was just wondering what are the main differences between the two, like the sony has image stablization while the canon doesnt but i was just wondering is it any good on this model. which camera has better lens and does it make a difference? the user interface of the canon camera seems to be better though

im leaning more towards the canon because ive had canon cameras in the past and i was really happy with them.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
2728 posts
52 upvotes
Got my confirmation email today too. It is set to ship to me on the 4th.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2004
3513 posts
438 upvotes
xdreamerII wrote: I guess I need a new camera :twisted: . It was in stock for me and I got used the $30 coupon without any problems, and within a few mins got an email saying it will be delivered on Dec 4th.

I would like to toss the Canon A570 IS which is on sale for $169 into the mix also.This looks like a decent camera and comes with IS which IMO is a must on digital cameras after having used it.If you can find a working $30 off $150 coupon you can get this for $139 which is a great deal.If there is no working $30 off $150 coupon you can add a filler item to get the price over $175 and use coupon #67549 for $30 off or just use the $20 off $150 from the staples coupon thread.Digital cameras really getting cheap these days.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2002
1908 posts
206 upvotes
Sheed30 wrote: I would like to toss the Canon A570 IS which is on sale for $169 into the mix also.This looks like a decent camera and comes with IS which IMO is a must on digital cameras after having used it.If you can find a working $30 off $150 coupon you can get this for $139 which is a great deal.If there is no working $30 off $150 coupon you can add a filler item to get the price over $175 and use coupon #67549 for $30 off or just use the $20 off $150 from the staples coupon thread.Digital cameras really getting cheap these days.
I like the Canon A570IS at Staples too
[IMG]http://www.staples.ca/ENG/images/produc ... _1_enl.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2004
3513 posts
438 upvotes
Mepoor wrote: I like the Canon A570 IS too
Yeah getting a camera with IS for $169 plus another $20 or $30 off with a coupon is a terrific deal if you ask me.The Sony camera looks great too and having IS on a camera is a nice feature.There are a lot of great deals on digital cameras.Choosing the right one might be the biggest problem now. :) If I didn't already have 2 cameras now I would probably buy one of these in this thread.
Banned
Sep 2, 2006
5645 posts
3 upvotes
Is this in stores?
ItemFinder wrote: Let me point out that the only people that like China are the mainlanders. Chinese from elsewhere refuse to be associated with China.
I always knew you were a genius.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2004
3513 posts
438 upvotes
kuqdew wrote: Is this in stores?
It's in the Staples flyer so it should be.Not sure if you could use a coupon in store without some hassle though.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4603 posts
257 upvotes
Burnaby
Here's a quick summary comparing the DSCW80 to the SD1000:
Sources:
DSCW80 Review
SD1000 Review

Battery (with LCD on):
DSCW80: 340 shots
SD1000: 210 shots

Image Stabilization:
DSCW80: Yes
SD1000: No

Dimensions:
DSCW80: 3.6 x 2.3 x 0.9 in.
SD1000: 3.4 x 2.1 x 0.8 in.

Volume:
DSCW80: 7.5 cu in.
SD1000: 5.7 cu in.

Mass:
DSCW80: 124 g
SD1000: 125 g

Memory:
DSCW80: Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo
SD1000: Secure Digital

Goods and Bads:
DSCW80:
Goods:

* Stylish, compact metal body, comes in four colors
* Optical image stabilization
* Low noise through ISO 400
* Large 2.5" LCD display (but see issues below)
* Optical viewfinder (a rarity in this class)
* Snappy performance; amazing continuous shooting mode
* AF-assist lamp; good low light focusing
* Face detection and redeye removal features work well, though limited to just two shooting modes
* Nice playback mode
* Above average battery life
* Optional underwater case
* USB 2.0 High Speed protocol supported

Bads:

* Images are soft, with fuzzy details, even at lower ISOs
* Considerable corner blurriness
* Clunky, confusing new menu system
* Redeye remains a problem (but it can be fixed in playback mode)
* Low resolution LCD
* Weak flash
* Needs manual controls, especially for white balance and shutter speed
* High sensitivity mode borders on useless
* Design annoyances: poorly placed power button, tiny and stiff four-way controller, flimsy door over memory card / battery compartment
* Very slow battery charger included
* Optional HD video output feature is disappointing
* No Mac image browser included; Music Transfer software did not recognize MP3s
* Full manual only on CD-ROM

SD1000:
Goods:

* Very good photo quality, low noise through ISO 400 (but see issues below)
* Ultra-compact, retro-styled body; available in two "trims"
* Gorgeous 2.5" LCD display
* Has an optical viewfinder (a rarity in this class)
* Robust performance: fast startup time, focusing, and continuous shooting
* AF-assist lamp, good low light focusing
* Handy Auto ISO Boost feature is a good substitute for an always-on high sensitivity mode
* Effective redeye removal tool (and you'll need it)
* Very good movie mode
* Can record up to two hours of audio
* Optional underwater case
* USB 2.0 High Speed support
* Nice software package

Bads:

* Some corner softness; slight overexposure in test photos
* Redeye a big problem (though the tool in playback mode gets rid of most of it)
* Current zoom setting not shown on LCD
* More manual controls would be nice
* Battery life still a bit below average
* Date/time printing only at 1600 x 1200 resolution
* Very flimsy plastic door over memory card / battery compartment
* Plastic tripod mount; can't swap memory cards while using a tripod
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)