Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
DirectCanada

Dual Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Rom/DVD RW Burner $254.99 -> $248.88

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2008 10:53 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2005
1667 posts
1590 upvotes
Canada's South Coast

[DirectCanada] Dual Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Rom/DVD RW Burner $254.99 -> $248.88

More offers from DirectCanada
Is this a glimpse into our future of digital video formats ?

Found this Dual Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Rom Player /DVD-/+R/RW internal burner for computer install for a reasonable price of $254.99....and in Canada too !! I thought this was a decent price. :?:

Plays either new HD format, plus, it is backward compatible to DVDs and CDs ....I'm sure it will just be a matter of time before they have a Dual format Blu-Ray/HD-DVD /DVD-/+R/RW burner for this price or less !!

It's almost like the old DVD - or + R format war ...........with dual format HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Roms/Burners, everyone will be able to interchange their entertainment media....without confusion.... therefore, the latest video HD format war, problem solved !!

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?s ... facture=LG
102 replies
Jan 5, 2005
112 posts
129 upvotes
Nice unit and good price. I picked it up for $294 a few weeks ago from ncix. It works well -- just make sure your rig is up to the task of playing high-def content, and you're good to go.
Jun 9, 2006
106 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Can you output the hd-dvd to a tv with this drive?
I've heard that the output must be secure or the dvd wont play.Is that true?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2005
1667 posts
1590 upvotes
Canada's South Coast
freefifo wrote: Can you output the hd-dvd to a tv with this drive?
Good question....
perhaps doctorgeek (or someone else) could help us with this question ?
Mar 13, 2007
66 posts
You still need to have a HD capable video card to play content though. Also need software player (although one come with it- cyberlink I think). All components need to be HDCP compliant including TV/monitor,
freefifo wrote: Can you output the hd-dvd to a tv with this drive?
Nov 22, 2007
375 posts
38 upvotes
Montreal
In case this is misleading for some this ONLY READS HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Disc, it won't burn either.

Still a decent unit I'm considering for my future HTPC build.
Those that wonder, Intel IGP X3100 can run 1080p media. Shuttle's recently release barebones that sports the X3100 and a hdmi port, it has been tested at 1080p with both blu-ray and HD DVD.

Yes, make sure your components are HDCP compliants.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2005
1667 posts
1590 upvotes
Canada's South Coast
1nsanity wrote: In case this is misleading for some this ONLY READS HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Disc, it won't burn either.

Those that wonder, Intel IGP X3100 can run 1080p media. Shuttle's recently release barebones that sports the X3100 and a hdmi port, it has been tested at 1080p with both blu-ray and HD DVD.

I wasnt trying to be misleading and I thought I was pretty clear in my original post that it's a Blu-Ray / HD-DVD Rom and not an HD burner, only a DVD/CD burner ? However a good suggestion and to avoid any confusion, I will go back to my OP and bold the ROM portion and add "Player" behind it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5156 posts
617 upvotes
in a plane
montward wrote: It's almost like the old DVD - or + R format war ...........with dual format HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Roms/Burners, everyone will be able to interchange their entertainment media....without confusion.... therefore, the latest video HD format war, problem solved !!
I really hope HD-DVD dies a rapid and painful death so that we don't HAVE a format war. 30GB per dual layer disc (and none even AVAILABLE), whereas a dual-layer Blu-Ray disc is 50GB and can actually be bought (for a semi-reasonable price)? Without regard to other features, just for pure data storage, the war is won from my standpoint. Good lookin' drive tho, great for a HTPC.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2005
1127 posts
4 upvotes
Grande Prairie, AB
:D much better deal than the xbox 360 drive, although i don't get 5 free hd-dvds....most were pretty though.
Nov 20, 2006
70 posts
8 upvotes
Salmon Arm
259.95 @ Memory Express Calgary
Jan 15, 2006
116 posts
awesome price. can't wait for these drives to show up on boxing day sales
Jan 5, 2005
112 posts
129 upvotes
My short story on HDCP compliancy:
- I bought this drive for about $300 bucks and slapped it into my rig.
- My video card wasn't HDCP compliant, so I bought a new video card.
- Then I was stunned to realize that my external VIDEO SWITCH (from my home theater pc) wasn't HDCP compliant -- so it still wouldn't play!

So in the end, I got a copy of software called "AnyDVD HD" as another member of the forum suggested -- and it all works great.
May 19, 2005
952 posts
571 upvotes
Kingston
1nsanity wrote: In case this is misleading for some this ONLY READS HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Disc, it won't burn either.

goqcom wrote: You still need to have a HD capable video card to play content though. Also need software player (although one come with it- cyberlink I think). All components need to be HDCP compliant including TV/monitor,
Actually, you only need to have HDCP compliant chains of output if you are using DIGITAL output.
If you are using VGA output for your HD content, HDCP compliance if not necessary. I have two rigs with these drives installed, neither is attached to an HDCP compliant monitor, and I have no trouble outputting at 1920x1080i 71.928Hz refresh(or any other resolution I prefer). Excellent picture from HD DVD/BD, btw.
Nov 5, 2007
246 posts
2 upvotes
^^ twas 244$ now to compete with NCIX.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4899 posts
100 upvotes
Local
"you can use this

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...219143530.html

Edit: or you need an hdcp compliant video card + tv/monitor
"

I remember using anydvd hd. When connected over digital. It would remove the aacs protection so it would play the file. However it still would detect that the monitor was not hdcp compliant, so the movie was played downscaled. Over analog, it seems to be 1080p
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Don't expect combo Blu-Ray/HD DVD BURNER units anytime soon.... Toshiba can't even get the HD DVD burners working properly, so it's quite unlikely LG or Samsung will be able to.

If anyone could fix Toshiba's problems with HD DVD, it would be Pioneer or Panasonic, but both of them are pretty firmly in the Blu-Ray camp.

As for this model, it's pretty solid, and a great way to get into HiDef movies. Personally I'd recommend holding out just SLIGHTLY longer and picking up the same basic drive as this, but it's also a Blu-Ray burner (it's out and available, just not as easy to find as this one). That way you can backup your discs, make your own movies, and take advantage of the superior datastorage. Being able to throw a whole season of your favourite TV show in DVD quality onto a single BD-R isn't a bad thing either ;)
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The Digital Dolphin wrote: Don't expect combo Blu-Ray/HD DVD BURNER units anytime soon.... Toshiba can't even get the HD DVD burners working properly, so it's quite unlikely LG or Samsung will be able to.

If anyone could fix Toshiba's problems with HD DVD, it would be Pioneer or Panasonic, but both of them are pretty firmly in the Blu-Ray camp.

As for this model, it's pretty solid, and a great way to get into HiDef movies. Personally I'd recommend holding out just SLIGHTLY longer and picking up the same basic drive as this, but it's also a Blu-Ray burner (it's out and available, just not as easy to find as this one). That way you can backup your discs, make your own movies, and take advantage of the superior datastorage. Being able to throw a whole season of your favourite TV show in DVD quality onto a single BD-R isn't a bad thing either ;)
But that wouldn't be $230 now would it? :P
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Jun 16, 2006
207 posts
253 upvotes
Montreal
Jon Lai wrote: But that wouldn't be $230 now would it? :P
...yeah, I'd like to know also :lol:

...anyone have info..?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)