Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

PCV: Phenom 9500 $199.95

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2007 7:50 pm
Tags:
None
14 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
12143 posts
2764 upvotes
Guelph
I wish the phenoms didnt have that TLB bug. Cant wait for the black edition, but its also plagued with the TLB bug. :(
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting. Koodo Member
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8556 posts
1056 upvotes

We ran all tests with the TLB "fix" turned off. On that note, I think there have been a few folks in the community that have used this as a sort of red herring since they did not get exactly what they wanted from AMD PR at launch. Show me one person that can actually show me the error impacting desktop computing. They can all ***** about it, but they cannot show their readers the error because they cannot produce it. I think AMD has handled this issue very badly. The fact is that the TLB fix can be turned off in the BIOS with absolutely no negative impact to the desktop consumer.
Bug on CPU is actually fairly common.... I think the Core 2 Duo also has a bunch of them but no one seems to care much.
a
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
12143 posts
2764 upvotes
Guelph
nite4evr wrote: evidence?
Of which part are you referring to? The bug or the black edition reference? I read both on dailytech.com
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting. Koodo Member
Sep 3, 2006
544 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Blown out of proportion? Probably, yes. However, if you do work with virtualization, the 10-15% performance hit you'll have to take by enabling the patch does mean something. At these prices, they're getting a little more attractive, but at the higher prices, the Q6600 is only $30 or so more, and offers higher performance, even without the TLB patch.
Banned
Dec 12, 2005
9328 posts
804 upvotes
ShadowVlican wrote: according to the folks at hardocp, the TLB bug has been blown way out of proportion
Agreed, but the current BIOS performance hit is bad news, and my MB currently doesn't have a switch to turn it off.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2004
2419 posts
295 upvotes
chuck232 wrote: Blown out of proportion? Probably, yes. However, if you do work with virtualization, the 10-15% performance hit you'll have to take by enabling the patch does mean something. At these prices, they're getting a little more attractive, but at the higher prices, the Q6600 is only $30 or so more, and offers higher performance, even without the TLB patch.
You're talking about a $199.95 Quad core vs a $50 to $100 more Q6600 here.
Where do you see a $229.99 Q6600?

If it's only 10-15% performance difference and I want to keep it stock. Then it's easy to say AMD is the winner here. As for the TLB bug, I doubt there are much people who are experiencing this problem. Intel's Quad cpu is definitly better then the AMD's Phenom but the Phenom won my heart.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8488 posts
1291 upvotes
Brampton
nite4evr wrote: You're talking about a $199.95 Quad core vs a $50 to $100 more Q6600 here.

If it's only 10-15% performance difference and I want to keep it stock. Then it's easy to say AMD is the winner here. As for the TLB bug, I doubt there are much people who are experiencing this problem. Intel's Quad cpu is definitly better then the AMD's Phenom but the Phenom won my heart.
lol both of you have pricing wrong. At least if your a RFD'er you can find it for $270 as a weekly special. With boxing day i could see it down to $250.

$200 is a decent price for it but then you need to look for motherboard support and the Intel motherboards are more mature right now and the Q6600 has way more over clocking potential.

Good price, AMD should make this price permanent and i could see it being decent competition for intel.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2004
2419 posts
295 upvotes
Badman wrote: lol both of you have pricing wrong. At least if your a RFD'er you can find it for $270 as a weekly special. With boxing day i could see it down to $250.

$200 is a decent price for it but then you need to look for motherboard support and the Intel motherboards are more mature right now and the Q6600 has way more over clocking potential.

Good price, AMD should make this price permanent and i could see it being decent competition for intel.
I hate to agree with you that the Intel motherboards are much more mature.
But the M3A and other AM2+ mobo's aren't doing bad either.
If the phenom can drop it's price to around $169-189 then it's definitly gonna give intel a nice punch and attract more newer customers.
Sep 3, 2006
544 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
nite4evr wrote: You're talking about a $199.95 Quad core vs a $50 to $100 more Q6600 here.

Notice how I say at the higher prices, as in, without the sale. I mentioned at $200, the Phenom 9500 is more attractive. But at the regular $230-240 (not on sale) versus $270 for a Q6600 - yes, it's around a $30 difference.

Compared to a Q6600, the Phenom 9500 is around 20% slower, not including games, which are mostly GPU limited anyways. (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sh ... i=3153&p=6) Add in the additional 10-15% due to the TLB patch, and there's a fairly significant gap between the two processors. Of course, it's up to the user whether the $200 versus <$270 is worth it - in my opinion, I'd wait until the B3 revision comes out.
Mar 6, 2007
458 posts
its an ok deal.
I spent a year in that town...One sunday :cheesygri

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)