Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Future Shop

TOMTOM XL-S at futureshop $249.99!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2007 10:47 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1900 posts
84 upvotes

[Future Shop] TOMTOM XL-S at futureshop $249.99!

New price on the TOMTOM XL-S. It was on sale for $279 last night but this morning they made it $249. 793 left right now.

Basically the same as the One 3rd edition but this is widescreen, with expandable memory via SD slot and text to speech (street names).

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... &langid=EN

Just ordered one - ground shipping was about $7.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3010 posts
192 upvotes
Waterloo
the Garmin NUVI 250W for $249.99 @ bestbuy is a better deal and a better unit.
:arrow: :arrowl:
Nov 16, 2004
859 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
jaigandhi5 wrote: the Garmin NUVI 250W for $249.99 @ bestbuy is a better deal and a better unit.
But the TomTom XL-S has text-to-speech, a must-have in my search for a GPS unit. Can you expand on why you feel the Garmin 250W is better than this one?
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2004
2914 posts
3 upvotes
googz wrote: But the TomTom XL-S has text-to-speech, a must-have in my search for a GPS unit. Can you expand on why you feel the Garmin 250W is better than this one?
Yeah.

I ordered the Garmin 250W but the Tomtom seems to be better with TTS.

Right now I'm just trying to confirm if both units use the Sirf Star III chipset. I know the Futureshop site says it does but I can't really find any other site that says it does. I found review sites that have said that the Garmin 250W does but not the Tomtom XL-S.

Also I'm trying to find out which one is more accurate since they use different maps and also which has more POIs.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2004
2914 posts
3 upvotes
Regarding the Sirf Star III...

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/06/tomt ... p?page=2#5
For the Tomtom, this site says that they replaced it with another chip (Hammerhead). They say signal acquisition takes longer but it seems more accurate. Although this review is for the One XL not the One XL-S I don't think they would make any major changes to the hardware.

http://gpsmagazine.com/2007/06/garmin_n ... review.php
For the Garmin, this site says that they use the Sirf Star III but in later versions Garmin might switch it out for another chip to reduce costs. I haven't seen any reviews where they said they have switched the chips nor do I have any idea to check a unit has the chip or not.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3010 posts
192 upvotes
Waterloo
whoops, missed the XL-S part....

in that case the TomTom is a better deal :idea:

but if u dont need TTS get the garmin ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
Having seem both TomTom and Garmin at work now, I see little difference in how well they work. This deal seems pretty good if it has the TTS.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1077 posts
131 upvotes
Trust me guys. I sold more of the XL-S units yesterday than anything.

I'm sorry for the same price plus free lifetime map updates AND bigger screen and text to speech.....The tom tom one XL-S is the better deal outta the two.

Garmin is good no doubt. But when a customer see's how much more it cost for text to speech in garmin units they go for the xls.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3010 posts
192 upvotes
Waterloo
thats funny because at our store we sold a lot more 250Ws than XL-S :arrowl:
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2005
1695 posts
48 upvotes
I bought the tomtom 3rd edition reluctantly for $130. always wanted a garmin but too expensive. After extensively using this in both GTA and in the US, I can say that the TomTom tele-atlas is excellent. It has never made a mistake for me. So comparing NavTeq and TeleAtlas is moot. both are pretty much the same.
Once or twice I could not find a POI in the TomTom database, so this could need improvement. I checked the prices for tomtom map upgrades. European maps are only Euro 49. I bet Garmin maps are much more expensive than that. From being a wannbe Garmin fanboy, I am now converted. No doubt the TomTom XL-S is a better deal than the Garmin 250W. If this was the 260, they would be on par.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)