• Dec 22nd, 2008 9:48 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes

Stores w/ slim fit clothing for men

I need some help buying clothes for work.

I have a V-shaped upper body and I'm finding it hard to find dress shirts and jackets/suits that fit properly. I'm 5'7" and 140lbs, but my upper body fills a 38-40 jacket shoulder wise no problem but tapers down to my waist size of 28. Not extremely V-shaped, but enough that I'm having trouble finding clothes that fit. Most shirts and jackets that I try on have TONS of excess material in the back and looks awful. My current supply of shirts are starting to get worn out and I need some new clothes.

I've tried slim fit shirts from several makes: Calvin Klein, Kenneth Cole, Esprit. The CK and KC slim fit shirts are still too baggy. The Esprit shirts fit nicely but I've been disappointed with the quality (fades/worn, weird creases) and don't want to purchase any more of those.

Anyone have any suggestions where I can get some new clothes? I'm on a tight budget right now so I can't afford to pay $100 for a shirt and $1000 for a suit. I'm looking for shirts around the $30-40 price range and suits <$400. Stores in Ottawa preferred but Toronto is OK too.
50 replies
Jul 30, 2006
988 posts
41 upvotes
Try Zara for shirts, also consider tailoring your shirts for a better fit.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2004
2914 posts
3 upvotes
For really slim fit go to Zara and H&M.

Mexx, Club Monaco, and A&F are good too.
Apr 22, 2006
926 posts
Toronto
Thats the kidna problem I have... 34 chest, 26 waist... Except, not too many things come in 34 chest

nothings going to fit you unless you taylor it :( Get thigns that fit you in the shoulder/ chest, and get the rest taylored, its about 15 dollars.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1332 posts
412 upvotes
You're probably better off buying a shirt that fits your shoulders and having the lower part tailored.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3133 posts
16 upvotes
I have a hard time believing that you are a 38-40 in jackets. 140 at 5-7 you are most likely a 34-36. Unless you have major muscles in your chest and shoulders. Then you have another problem all together, cause those muscles dudes can't fit into anything properly. But if you are just a slim guy, your best bet is to try H&M. Or wait for sales at higher end shops.
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
I'm 5'8.5" 135lbs - I'm a 34-36 suit size. I'm not surprised that a built guy of 140lbs is a 38 jacket.

Mexx is huge, I'd skip that. Club Monaco is okay, but I need XS. So far I found H&M to be best.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
Cruel_Angel wrote: I have a hard time believing that you are a 38-40 in jackets. 140 at 5-7 you are most likely a 34-36.
I actually don't have much muscle either :P Growing up with lots of swimming will do funny things to your body :twisted:
May 30, 2007
398 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know if the Zara shirts will fit..I have a 38 chest and their smallest size doesn't fit my shoulders. However, their medium shirts that do fit me tend to fit my waist just about right and I'm a 31", so they'll be baggy on you.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3133 posts
16 upvotes
Stock R wrote: I actually don't have much muscle either :P Growing up with lots of swimming will do funny things to your body :twisted:
yeah, but you realize most of the time fit issues have more to do with people not knowing their actual size, than things not actually fitting them.
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
ben_liu wrote: get American Apparel
+1.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Dec 9, 2006
844 posts
2 upvotes
Club monaco and H&M have relatively slim shirts. They are still baggy, but for cheap shirts they are about as good as it gets. I went on a similar quest for fitting shirts, and those were the only dress shirts I found that were reasonable. A&F makes sport shirts and tees that fit muscular people reasonably well, if you are the right height. My suggestions may be totally wrong, as I am trying to find slim larges (which are very rare) and you are probably going for mediums/smalls.
Jan 4, 2006
655 posts
3 upvotes
tailored suits for $400 shouldn't be too hard to find, but you might have a problem finding slim shirts for $30-40...

my suggestions (from experience):
1)tiptop sometime have their homebrand Britches shirts on sale for <$10 YMMV, quality is not bad, buy those from them and have them tailor it.
2)Club Monaco slim-fit shirts are good to go (S or XS for you) but costs around $70... coupons anyone?
3)hunt for the high-end shirts at Holt Renfrew last calls, note you have to HUNT.
Apr 22, 2006
926 posts
Toronto
snufkyn wrote: 3)hunt for the high-end shirts at Holt Renfrew last calls, note you have to HUNT.
Thats the fun of it all!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
nolimtzel wrote: wow u weight 140lb!
eat something dude!
LOL. Actually I'm a bit heavier than I would like to be. Slows me down on the bike and car :D I actually want to drop down to about 135lb. I'm ok with 140 though if I can pack on some more muscle. It's only playing hockey that I feel a weight disadvantage.
trinh wrote: Armani Exchange
Fits Very Well For Asians ( I Guess )
Where can I find AX in Ottawa?