• Apr 21st, 2008 6:40 pm
Tags:
None
17 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3133 posts
16 upvotes
they are called caller stays. You can get these decent brass ones at Holt Renfrew that are not too expensive. Just call ahead to make sure they have them in stock.
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3906 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
another poster asked this question some months ago. do a search and see what comes up
--
There is no happy ending
Apr 6, 2008
117 posts
2 upvotes
wow i've never knew these existed. I've always been frustrated when my shirt collar doesn't stay down.

These would make a perfect gift as well.
Oct 22, 2007
611 posts
71 upvotes
if you ask nice enough they might give you a pair free at Banana Republic (or try to sell you a tube of them!)
cc
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4624 posts
1064 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Cruel_Angel wrote: they are called caller stays.
"Collar"

If it's too expensive locally, try ebay or amazon.com
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18145 upvotes
ONTARIO
Cruel_Angel wrote: they are called caller stays. You can get these decent brass ones at Holt Renfrew that are not too expensive. Just call ahead to make sure they have them in stock.
crashcourse wrote: if you ask nice enough they might give you a pair free at Banana Republic (or try to sell you a tube of them!)
oohh.. I rather have some shiny brass ones! they alst longer... and if i accidentally throw them in the wash they wont warp like the plastic crap.

But wow... $7 on ebay!!!
I think im gonna make my own with tin sheets
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1571 posts
191 upvotes
Ontario
Banana Repuplic sells them as someone mentioned.

A co-worker here uses plastic brown coffee stir sticks. Just cuts them to length and puts them in. ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
1095 posts
13 upvotes
I got my 3 metal pairs from Amazon.
I have so many shirts that 3 pairs are not enough.

I could not find a local stores that metal ones.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Holt has them, so does Harry Rosen.

really, you don't need more than one of the long and medium pairs...take them out and put them in your shirt the next day...In the long run, I find that having my shirts pressed at the cleaners does more for keeping a crisp edge than ironing and home and using stays.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2003
4736 posts
204 upvotes
You can buy them at any store that sells men's dress shirts/ties etc...
HBC and Sears sells them in their men's wear section for sure...
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
1095 posts
13 upvotes
nalababe wrote: Holt has them, so does Harry Rosen.

really, you don't need more than one of the long and medium pairs...take them out and put them in your shirt the next day...In the long run, I find that having my shirts pressed at the cleaners does more for keeping a crisp edge than ironing and home and using stays.
Not a lot of people can afford sending their shirts to the cleaners all the time.

Do the Bay or Sears has the metal ones?
Jul 23, 2007
852 posts
8 upvotes
I purchased a tube of different sizes from Brooks Brothers for about $10.
Apr 13, 2008
272 posts
5 upvotes
Washington, DC
Theyre pretty essential accessory for men who wear collar shirts. It can be pretty embarassing to have collars that curl up. You can usually find them at the places that other users have mentioned.

If you got some dough to spend and even need a pretty need gift idea for a collar shirt kind of guy, I found this place as I was looking for Christmas gifts last year:

http://www.wurkinstiffs.com/

they're made of good solid material, and the whole selling point about them is the little magnets that connect beneath the shirt that hold them collar in place. I haven't tried them out but its a cool concept.
May 1, 2007
631 posts
1 upvote
Smoothie wrote: A co-worker here uses plastic brown coffee stir sticks. Just cuts them to length and puts them in. ;)
It works!!! Thanks for the tip!!!
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
2k4accord wrote: Not a lot of people can afford sending their shirts to the cleaners all the time.

Do the Bay or Sears has the metal ones?
10$ a week is not a big deal....for me it's worth it...Even with the stays, you can get the end of the collar curling, though not the huge bowing.
Jul 17, 2007
672 posts
397 upvotes
2k4accord wrote: Not a lot of people can afford sending their shirts to the cleaners all the time.
Sending my shirts to the dry cleaners for laundering (not dry cleaning) and pressing is the best service that I have paid for.

A dress shirt takes me 15 minuted to iron, it never comes out very good, and the shirt doesnt look fresh anymore at 1pm.

My laundered shirts look good all day and into the night, at a cost of $2.30 per shirt, it is worth it for me.

If I use 5 dress shirts a week for work, it comes to $11.50 for the week.

Money well spent for a small luxury

Peace

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)