Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1804 posts
70 upvotes
Vancouver

microdermabrasion vs chemical peel for acne scar

Which one works better for deep acne scars?
spot finder
16 replies
Dec 10, 2004
871 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
If your scars are quite deep, you're probably better off with one of the laser treatments actually.

I find microdermabrasion and chemical peels only help with more "surface" skin types of problems like skin tone uneveness, mild non-cystic acne, etc... I would get a derm consult if your scarring is quite bad since you don't want to make it worse.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1804 posts
70 upvotes
Vancouver
I am asian and my doctor says asian skins do not respond well to laser treatments. I been through a few treatments of deep chemical peels. They do work and is scars are noticeably more shallow but 6 months later, scars are as if it was back then.

My only other option is dermabrasion but i have the impression it does not work as well as chem peel. It's just a guess as i never tried it before.
spot finder
Jan 8, 2008
491 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
For scars and other imperfectipns check out the BIO OIL at Shoppers i just passed by this yesterday and the rep told me its a great product for acne scars. It's also on sale this week for $12.99
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2148 posts
304 upvotes
GTA
I've tried microdermabrasion, and I can't say that it really did a lot for me. I really wasn't looking for anything specific though (e.g., scar removal, etc.); I just wanted smoother, nicer skin. My skin did feel nicer afterwards, but I didn't really notice much of an overall change. I just use the Neutrogena stuff now, which seems to give me the same "effects".
Nov 16, 2004
992 posts
22 upvotes
iceprince wrote: For scars and other imperfectipns check out the BIO OIL at Shoppers i just passed by this yesterday and the rep told me its a great product for acne scars. It's also on sale this week for $12.99
has anyone actual tried this stuff???
May 1, 2007
631 posts
1 upvote
I've heard great great reviews about Bio-oil.
For poor people like me who cant afford chemical peels/dermabrasion... Aspirin mask! :)
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2148 posts
304 upvotes
GTA
SirAlain wrote: I've heard great great reviews about Bio-oil.
For poor people like me who cant afford chemical peels/dermabrasion... Aspirin mask! :)

Aspirin mask? Do you have any tried and true recipes??? :D
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1804 posts
70 upvotes
Vancouver
Wow that aspirin mask formula looks so easy.
Not sure how much is a few "sprinkle" drops of water. And am unsure about honey. I guess honey is to help hold the aspirin together?

I hope it's ok to make this in large batches (a week's worth) but then again, the aspirin might become bad over time. Thanks, I'll certainly give this this ghetto mask a shot :D
spot finder
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2003
4466 posts
6 upvotes
Big Brother wrote: Wow that aspirin mask formula looks so easy.
Not sure how much is a few "sprinkle" drops of water. And am unsure about honey. I guess honey is to help hold the aspirin together?

I hope it's ok to make this in large batches (a week's worth) but then again, the aspirin might become bad over time. Thanks, I'll certainly give this this ghetto mask a shot :D
I've seen my sister do this a few times. She uses about 4-5 pills and crushes them close to powder form. Instead of water she mixes it Yogurt.
Why are hurricanes named after women? When they come they are wet and wild but when they leave they take your house AND your car.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
Big Brother wrote: Wow that aspirin mask formula looks so easy.

Not too sure about all the "homemade" stuff, but if you go to Shoppers check out the Neostrata line, they have up to 20% glycolic acid products and in Canada they are just on the drugstore shelf.
In the US you actually have to go to a doctor to buy them.

I really like their products because they are fragrance free, made by a drug company and have the active ingredients listed on the package with very good instructions.

I do not have anything to do with the company, but am a big fan of their products and always watch for sales.
Shoppers has 20% off Neostrata t his weekend and there is also the $20 Home Depot certificate deal this weekend :)

Right now I am just using the 8% glycolic acid "toning solution" during the day, but they have a whole line of peels and creams.

http://www.neostrata.ca/English%20Site/home_en.html

And if you contact their customer service, they are extremely helpful about what products you should be using.

Just browsing their site and saw they changed everything around.
(haven't bought any Neostrata prod since Dec as I'm all stocked up), they have new packaging now.
Found this peel:

http://www.neostrata.ca/English%20Site/ ... el_en.html

Skin Renewal Peel Solution
Ideal quick fix for uneven and dull skin. The glycolic acid will help eliminate the dead cells responsible for the rough skin. This solution contains 10% glycolic acid and 10% gluconolactone, the highest potency available of AHA to achieve the results after only 1 treatment.

Results:
Removes build-up of dead cells on the surface of the skin
Evens out complexion
Reveals radiant, younger-looking skin after just 1 treatment
Formulation:
Hydroxy acid (glycolic acid and gluconolactone) remove the build-up of dead cells on the surface of the skin. This peel contains 10% glycolic acid, 10% gluconolactone and an ideal pH for better results.
The Amphoteric SystemTM controls the release of the glycolic acid to minimize irritation and tingling.

-I haven't looked for this in the store, but Shoppers should have it. No idea on cost.
Nov 24, 2007
426 posts
4 upvotes
Umm why not talk to a dermatologist rather than asking for medical opinions from a deals forum
May 12, 2008
294 posts
39 upvotes
^ b/c getting specilist appointments can take forever & there might be a over the counter product that might help
Jul 22, 2013
1 posts
Microdermabrasion is developed on the basis that it gently eliminates uneven surface skin cells and initiates turn-over dermis and epidermis stage. It is agreed by a great number of users that microdermabrasion will diminish acne scars, even old acne scars, even large pores and acne. It is also proved to be very useful for people with active acne, mild acne discoloration, pick marks, and very superficial or raised acne scars