Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Sunoco

Hot?: Sunoco Super (91) for the price of Bronze

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2008 3:39 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1584 posts
77 upvotes

[Sunoco] Hot?: Sunoco Super (91) for the price of Bronze

More offers from Sunoco
I was at the Sunoco on the corner of King and Bathurst last night and all the pumps were out of Bronze and Silver. All they had was Super at the price of Bronze.

My little contribution, I hope it helps someone.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2900 posts
1583 upvotes
only use higher octane gas if your car manual says you should, or if your engine is knocking.

for everyone else its just more expensive.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3416 posts
37 upvotes
Brampton
spiralspirit wrote: only use higher octane gas if your car manual says you should, or if your engine is knocking.

for everyone else its just more expensive.
Huh? So if you are getting a free 'upgrade' you should pass on it?
|D
|D [\/] /\ Z
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2007
3592 posts
813 upvotes
hey OP! where's the gas station @ the corner of king and bathurst? NW coner has a second cup on it, NE corner has a rogers store (i think, but no gas station for sure!), SE has the Banknote and SW has the Wheat Sheaf. So which corner is the gas station on again? I'm very tempted to go but seeing on how you stated you went last night, and posted it @ 2xxpm the next day not sure if the deal is still on! OP, can you confirm @ the time of posting that this deal IS still on? :D Otherwise this deal is probably dead since gas stations usually correct the prices by the next day. :D
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1584 posts
77 upvotes
Sorry, I meant King Sideroad and Bathurst, up in the boonies on the OakRidges/Richmond Hill and Vaughan boundaries.

I think it was more that the Sunoco was out of all the other types of gas and all they had was Super.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2007
2079 posts
99 upvotes
bmaz wrote: Huh? So if you are getting a free 'upgrade' you should pass on it?
i don't think it's an upgrade if your car doesn't require Super or what not.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
spiralspirit wrote: for everyone else its just more expensive.
:rolleyes: Uh no it's not. Try reading the post--why else would the OP have posted this as a deal?

If super is the price of bronze, how is it more expensive?
Starkicker wrote: All they had was Super at the price of Bronze.
Feb 13, 2008
88 posts
Toronto
Octane rating represents the gas' resistance to combustion which is a requirement for a high compression engine (high compression = easier to ignite and harder to control the combustion). Thus, high performance engines require higher octane. For regular compression engines, delaying or reducing the ability of the engine to burn the fuel/air mixture is not a bonus and, in some cases, it can cause incomplete combustion. One thing is certain, all things being equal, there is no advantage to high octane gas in normal engines.

HOWEVER, the one "bonus" of the higher octane is that there is a no to very low ethanol component (unlike ~10% in regular gas) so there is potential for better mileage.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2005
1325 posts
238 upvotes
Vancouver
I use mid grade or super (when I can afford it)

my car runs Kpro and needs to be on mid grade for optimal performance
Graphic Designer
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Why is it that any thread like this always results in the gasoline "educators" telling about what they think they know about octane, combustion, engines, etc? I don't get it. It's not necessary to talk about this stuff every single time. It's 91 octane gasoline for the price of 87. The end. Whether you need it or not is up to you, I don't get why it always has to be the gasoline nazis going on about what you need and don't need.
qwert265 wrote: HOWEVER, the one "bonus" of the higher octane is that there is a no to very low ethanol component (unlike ~10% in regular gas) so there is potential for better mileage.
Who told you that? Ethanol boosts the octane of gasoline. E85 for example often is rated at 105 AKI (or pump octane) because of it has more resistance to knock than does iso octane.

We certainly aren't talking about E85 here but since ethanol blended gasoline increases the octane rating, you're still likely to find just as much (or even more) ethanol in higher octane pump gasoline.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)