• Aug 3rd, 2008 10:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12227 posts
157 upvotes

Sunglasses with Employee Benefits

I get a certain amount through my work benefits every year, but never use it.

And just recently my Ray Ban Aviators got bent and scratched up. So im hoping to get a new pair through my work benefits program.

Has anyone done this? And which shop can i go for a pair of Ray Ban Aviators that will utilize my benefits?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2006
1855 posts
340 upvotes
Most optical shops will write you a receipt for RX glasses if you ask them to. I've done it a few times and know others that have. Try pacific mall or smaller opticians. Chains are less likely to do it unless ur getting RX sunglasses wich is normally covered.
Opinions posted are that of my own and do not reflect that of any organization.

GTA AYCE Sushi Guide

What is a marriage if not an opportunity to mock someone through thick and thin while simultaneously exploring your deepest, darkest sexual desires - Californication.
May 28, 2006
838 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Most shops in Pacific Mall will do it,just ask them to bill it as Pescription glasses and it will be covered.......
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12227 posts
157 upvotes
warlockdilemma wrote: Most shops in Pacific Mall will do it,just ask them to bill it as Pescription glasses and it will be covered.......
Awesome.

Thanks guys.

And i should have searched. I was just lazy that late at night.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1238 posts
17 upvotes
nice, i had the same question because i just got my benefit this week

one of my colleagues did this before

there is a loop hole in our benefit where it covers lenses, prescriptions, and FRAMES

i need to ask him for specifics though
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12227 posts
157 upvotes
Went to P-mall today.

Every store i went to asked for a prescription list. And only then could they write me up a receipt.

No one was helpful, except for one old lady who told me to go to a nearby Optometrist, and fake an eye exam.

Alot of them thought i really needed prescription glasses. And said that i could only get glasses that weren't curved or one piece.

So i couldnt get aviators or the Dolce and Gabbana one piece.
Sep 4, 2007
143 posts
1 upvote
Most places will only give you a receipt if they can put your prescription on file.

No prescription = no receipt to submit to benefits provider.

That being said, there are probably places out there that will bend.
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12227 posts
157 upvotes
supersnazz wrote: Most places will only give you a receipt if they can put your prescription on file.

No prescription = no receipt to submit to benefits provider.

That being said, there are probably places out there that will bend.
So anyone know of a bendable optometrist?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
275 upvotes
originalnutta wrote: So anyone know of a bendable optometrist?
no..just get one done anywaz...maybe u are entitle to one!
;)
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12227 posts
157 upvotes
molala wrote: no..just get one done anywaz...maybe u are entitle to one!
haha, i am getting older, and i'm nervous that i might actually need prescription glasses.
May 28, 2006
838 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
originalnutta wrote: Went to P-mall today.

Every store i went to asked for a prescription list. And only then could they write me up a receipt.

No one was helpful, except for one old lady who told me to go to a nearby Optometrist, and fake an eye exam.

Alot of them thought i really needed prescription glasses. And said that i could only get glasses that weren't curved or one piece.

Are you serious...when did that change...Most shops in Pmall used to do it in a blink of an eye......there is a shop called Good Eyes Optical in PMall....they have always done it before...did you check with them?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
originalnutta wrote: Went to P-mall today.

You gotta know someone...
Since insurance fraud is highly illegal you gotta have some connections. They might think your a private investigator or cop.
Insurance companies hire tons of investigators to look into this kind of stuff since it hurts their bottom line...

Imagine if you did get your 'free' sun glasses... That hurts them pretty bad... most people pay $10/month/$120 per yr for their insurance... and then BAM you get some $400 prada designer sunglasses and their profit margin is almost zilch to negative!
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12227 posts
157 upvotes
warlockdilemma wrote: Are you serious...when did that change...Most shops in Pmall used to do it in a blink of an eye......there is a shop called Good Eyes Optical in PMall....they have always done it before...did you check with them?
I went to at least 5 shops. After the fifth, or so, i kinda gave up.

Looks like i'll need a shady optometrist now.
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12227 posts
157 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: You gotta know someone...
Since insurance fraud is highly illegal you gotta have some connections. They might think your a private investigator or cop.
Insurance companies hire tons of investigators to look into this kind of stuff since it hurts their bottom line...

Imagine if you did get your 'free' sun glasses... That hurts them pretty bad... most people pay $10/month/$120 per yr for their insurance... and then BAM you get some $400 prada designer sunglasses and their profit margin is almost zilch to negative!
True say.

But this will be my first benefit claim ever, and i've been with the company for 10 years now. :D

No dental, or back problems or anything. So i'd like to get at least one nice thing.

And im hurting for sunglasses so badly. There used to be a warehouse sale near my work for Ray Bans, but i havent seen it this year. Plus i need something new. With a bit more bling.

As for connections, i dont know anyone in the business. And im also not chinese, if that matters. I'm indian, so that's close enough. lol.

Maybe i should take my chinese girl friend with me.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2288 posts
originalnutta wrote: True say.

But this will be my first benefit claim ever, and i've been with the company for 10 years now. :D

No dental, or back problems or anything. So i'd like to get at least one nice thing.

And im hurting for sunglasses so badly. There used to be a warehouse sale near my work for Ray Bans, but i havent seen it this year. Plus i need something new. With a bit more bling.

As for connections, i dont know anyone in the business. And im also not chinese, if that matters. I'm indian, so that's close enough. lol.
Maybe i should take my chinese girl friend with me.
Hahah that's your problem right there. no wonder no one wanted to help you out in pee-mall.
kuqdew wrote: And FYI, I make pretty good marks in school and is in the gifted class.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1238 posts
17 upvotes
a little off-topic but...does anyone know a good brand/model # for sunglasses/aviators for around $200, and a place that i'd be able to use my benefit card? thx!
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3409 posts
223 upvotes
originalnutta wrote: haha, i am getting older, and i'm nervous that i might actually need prescription glasses.
when is the last time you went for an eye exam? you should get one every 1-2 years even if your vision is perfect (to screen for disease). as you said, you might find you need a prescription pair anyways.
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12227 posts
157 upvotes
rilhouse wrote: when is the last time you went for an eye exam? you should get one every 1-2 years even if your vision is perfect (to screen for disease). as you said, you might find you need a prescription pair anyways.
when i was 7.

So more than 20 years ago.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
originalnutta wrote: when i was 7.

So more than 20 years ago.
Definitely get your eyes checked. It is best for you to go just to make sure there are no problems and you might end up with a real prescription that will fix this problem for you.

Also check you benefits program at work. Since eye exams stopped being covered by OHIP, many now cover eye exams or at least a portion of the cost. Yours may do that also.