• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2008 4:44 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 16, 2007
137 posts
2 upvotes

Watch help....

Hi, I'm going to buy a watch online, and will be sending it to my mom in NY, where I will be picking it up next month. While searching, I came across some interesting brands, and just wanted to know of their build quality and appearance (not cheap looking & fit). The most expensive I've owned has been Bulova, so if you'll can compare them to it, it will surely make my decision easier. Thanx for the help.....
Here are the brands:

stuhrling
bellagio
lucien piccard
jacques lemans
akribos
3 replies
Jan 22, 2008
474 posts
27 upvotes
Of the ones you mentioned, Jaques Lemans will probably be the most expensively made. They're also the only ones who have an actual presence outside of the Internet and I belive they recently scored a licensed merchandise agreement with Formula 1. Check the Kenmar Watches website, I believe they're clearing out some models soon to be discontinued. Same thing with the Triumph brand.

As for the other ones you mentioned, those are names of defunct or bankrupt Swiss makers who sold the rights to the brand name to mass producers. You will notice a whole bunch of other such brands, including Louis Bolle, Picard& Cie, SUG among others

Most of them are actually fronts for a single parent company who's name eludes me at the moment. Usually assembled in China they mix & match from a catalogue of bracelets, cases & movements outsourced form other companies. The concept is simillar to that of off-brand computers.

(After a while you'll notice certain watch platforms re-badged over and over again, mated with different dials)

Look for the ones that come with reliable quartz movements supplied by Citizen or Seiko. Do not buy a mechanical watch from these brands as tit's usually a no-name chinese movement. In fact don't buy any type of movement unless they say who supplied it for them.

Be patient and wait to get them in the $80 - $180 range, usually the look, fit and finish will be at least as good, if not better than watches sold in Department stores in that price range. Don't be swayed by claims such as "MRSP $895" - this is a bluff, the watches aren't actually sold anywhere except the internet...
Nov 16, 2007
137 posts
2 upvotes
Man thanx alot. I was about to make a real mistake. When it comes to watches, I'm clueless. I was going on looks and 'claims' by users. Thanx again, I'll go with the Jaques Lemans, they look good and hopefully will last for a bit.
Nov 16, 2007
137 posts
2 upvotes
One more thing, I forgot to add, that I'm also seeing ESQ and Invicta brnads. Are these are fairly good, as i get alot of mixed reviews on them. thanx again.....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)