Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
259 upvotes
Vancouver

Affordable dress shirt and pants

I'm being forced to buy some (male) dress clothes for an event, can someone tell me where to get some for say 75 bucks with tax? Crap, even that's too much. 25? 50? 50 would be nice... preferably something I'd use again (in the far future, since I don't wear nice clothes).

Is H&M okay for this? I heard their sizes are weird?
36 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3069 posts
7283 upvotes
scoobydoo wrote: I'm being forced to buy some (male) dress clothes for an event, can someone tell me where to get some for say 75 bucks with tax? Crap, even that's too much. 25? 50? 50 would be nice... preferably something I'd use again (in the far future, since I don't wear nice clothes).

$75 each or $75 for a few? If it's the first one, The Bay is easily do-able...
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
Gap had plain Chinos for $20 recently...buy a plain white shirt for $30 and you're set unless that's too casual. If you don't have dressy shoes you might have to consider spending a little more.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3906 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
Winners
--
There is no happy ending
Feb 4, 2006
997 posts
TO
Zara if 75 a shirt.

Mediocre quality textiles, but at that price range, you'll get mediocre quality across the board.

Decent silhouette, for the price.

Decent styles, colours, etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
2788 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
scoobydoo wrote: I'm being forced to buy some (male) dress clothes for an event, can someone tell me where to get some for say 75 bucks with tax? Crap, even that's too much. 25? 50? 50 would be nice... preferably something I'd use again (in the far future, since I don't wear nice clothes).

Might be even cutting it close at H&M...I can't remember how much the pants are but the shirts are like $40-$50.
Heatware: spikyazn (11-0-0)
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
259 upvotes
Vancouver
I was hoping for 75 max for shirts and pants. I actually forgot about shoes, if I need those too, I'm just not even going to go.
Jun 17, 2008
617 posts
1 upvote
The Winners I go to always has dress pants, for like, 20 bucks.

Don't cheap out on a shirt, go to somewhere and buy a decent, good looking shirt. Shoe's is pretty easy, Payless or Winners. Payless sometime have dress shoes for like, $10.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
red120 wrote: Zara if 75 a shirt.

Mediocre quality textiles, but at that price range, you'll get mediocre quality across the board.

Decent silhouette, for the price.

Decent styles, colours, etc.
Not sure about that....you don't have to spend a lot to get a good shirt/good material. You might not get small details, trendy styling, but you'll be able to get a classic style like an Oxford just fine.
Jul 30, 2006
988 posts
41 upvotes
JC69 wrote: Not sure about that....you don't have to spend a lot to get a good shirt/good material. You might not get small details, trendy styling, but you'll be able to get a classic style like an Oxford just fine.
I think the details are pretty important on a shirt, MoP buttons, boxpleat, placket etc. Some more interesting fabrics cost more too. Fit is also VERY important in a shirt.

Even if you get a cheap shirt $25 or so, you should spend a few bucks and get it tailored/slimmed down. The 'ballooning' effect at the waist is just horrible
Feb 4, 2006
997 posts
TO
Vashin wrote: I think the details are pretty important on a shirt, MoP buttons, boxpleat, placket etc. Some more interesting fabrics cost more too. Fit is also VERY important in a shirt.

Even if you get a cheap shirt $25 or so, you should spend a few bucks and get it tailored/slimmed down. The 'ballooning' effect at the waist is just horrible
Bing!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
131 upvotes
the bay, mexx. you can easily get a nice shirt + pants for $75.
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote: I make more than what 95% of people in this site makes.
Try a six-figure salary that starts with a "3" (that would be annually)
Gloaming wrote: Seriously- I TRIED to ignore him. KKF is like herpes, you keep scratching in an attempt to get temporary relief, but two weeks later he comes raging back more annoying and infuriating as ever.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
red120 wrote: Bing!
Mhhmm...fitted shirts at Gap on sale $20. Problem solved.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
Vashin wrote: I think the details are pretty important on a shirt, MoP buttons, boxpleat, placket etc. Some more interesting fabrics cost more too. Fit is also VERY important in a shirt.

Just out of interest, what does it cost to get an original shirt taken in at a tailors?
Jan 30, 2007
831 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto

Ok since you don't give a hoot about extra nice clothes or you cannot afford the extra luxury why dont you try this out

a) Arrow shirt from Bay (24)
b) Brogue or Bay Haggar or Dockers about (45-50)
c) Borrow tie from male friend/dad

Don't you have church clothes?!
Feb 4, 2006
997 posts
TO
JC69 wrote: Mhhmm...fitted shirts at Gap on sale $20. Problem solved.
Gap?

Problem solved?

More like mission failed.
Jul 30, 2006
988 posts
41 upvotes
JC69 wrote: Just out of interest, what does it cost to get an original shirt taken in at a tailors?
Depending on the tailor the price range is around $10-15. Could be a bit lower or higher but that is around the standard range.

Also remember, the most important 'fit' is in the shoulders. All the other places can be altered without too much trouble if needed.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
red120 wrote: Gap?

Problem solved?

More like mission failed.
If your mission is to pay over the odds for a shirt then maybe ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)