• Jun 11th, 2009 12:48 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8556 posts
1056 upvotes

Engagement ring in GTA

I am looking to buy an engagement ring. My budget is $2000 to $3000. I have searched in this forum as well as Google, but I couldn't find an ideal ring.

My girlfriend prefer more modern/stylish ring with a narrow band. She hates thick band and those with side stones. It seems that most (online) store that I come across does not have the style she may like. For example, this is one of the better one I have seen but I prefer to have more choice.

http://www.diamondexchange.ca/classic_i ... hp?id=dn14

My friend told me Chinese stores usually carry those more simplistic style, but I am always under the impression that they charge a rather hefty premium. Is there any alternative?
a
29 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Avoid the chain stores like Spence, Peoples, etc. The quality of the diamonds are suspect (most seem to have only GemScam/GemScam diamonds... or even worse in house certificates!)

Couple things to remember:

1. Buying a diamond is all about numbers; make sure you're buying a certified diamond (GIA/AGS preferred). Since diamonds are certified, you can buy online from a reputable dealer. Know your diamond prices!

2. ALWAYS buy an IDEAL CUT (GIA's best rating is Excellent) diamond, this is what gives the diamond its sparkle. Color - F+ (H is OK). Clarity S1/S2+. Carats - whatever you can afford. DO NOT SACRIFICE THE CUT.

3. If your finance likes white gold, 14K is actually whiter and more durable than 18K. Platinum isn't worth it unless your fiance demands it.

Chinese Jewelery shops can discount quite heavily.... but make sure you get all the paperwork and make sure you negotiate!!!

Or you can get a ring custom made: www.metamorphosisjewellery.com

I've used James Morton before, he can design a ring for a good price, it was cheaper than buying in store and the ring was 100% unique! :D

Unfortunately James is bad with e-mail... so it's best to call him directly.

Lastly, you can buy the stone/setting separately, usually you can get a better deal this way.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8556 posts
1056 upvotes
coolspot wrote: Avoid the chain stores like Spence, Peoples, etc. The quality of the diamonds are suspect (most seem to have only GemScam/GemScam diamonds... or even worse in house certificates!)

Couple things to remember:

1. Buying a diamond is all about numbers; make sure you're buying a certified diamond (GIA/AGS preferred). Since diamonds are certified, you can buy online from a reputable dealer. Know your diamond prices!

2. ALWAYS buy an IDEAL CUT (GIA's best rating is Excellent) diamond, this is what gives the diamond its sparkle. Color - F+ (H is OK). Clarity S1/S2+. Carats - whatever you can afford. DO NOT SACRIFICE THE CUT.

3. If your finance likes white gold, 14K is actually whiter and more durable than 18K. Platinum isn't worth it unless your fiance demands it.

Chinese Jewelery shops can discount quite heavily.... but make sure you get all the paperwork and make sure you negotiate!!!

Or you can get a ring custom made: www.metamorphosisjewellery.com

I've used James Morton before, he can design a ring for a good price, it was cheaper than buying in store and the ring was 100% unique! :D

Unfortunately James is bad with e-mail... so it's best to call him directly.

Lastly, you can buy the stone/setting separately, usually you can get a better deal this way.
How much does it cost to have a custom design ring? Also, can I just find a design somewhere else and hand in the picture to him? I checked his website and the gallery is not... that appealing.
a
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2004
1022 posts
76 upvotes
I used BlueNile, I highly recommend them if they carry a ring you like.
Apr 23, 2008
125 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Diamond Moments, at Dundas Square.

They not only MATCHED Bluenile, they beat them by 10% and don't even include taxes if you pay in cash. They have full GIA reports and certificates.

Great place, and my fiancee absolutely adores her ring!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
elty wrote: How much does it cost to have a custom design ring? Also, can I just find a design somewhere else and hand in the picture to him? I checked his website and the gallery is not... that appealing.
He does specialize in Celtic type rings, although I have seen him do a variety of other styles. Consultation doesn't cost any money so you can always drop by for a visit.

I assume your GF prefers the standard "Tiffany" rings? In that case you can get those done anywhere with an in house Jeweler. Those are rings are in essence copies of the real thing, and the patterns are readily available. You can probably get a cloned ring for ~1K+ depending on the type of metal, # of small diamonds etc. However, for these rings, unless you want an exact duplicate of what you saw in a picture... it's probably better just to find a similar version at store - it'll be cheaper since it'll be massed produced.

Hand made rings also depend on the option; it's best to have a couple pictures of what you like, show the jeweler, he/she can give you a quote as to how much it'll cost.

What size of Diamond are you looking at? For reference, a 1CT, Ideal Cut, F Color, S1 is roughly 4500 for the stone.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8556 posts
1056 upvotes
coolspot wrote: What size of Diamond are you looking at? For reference, a 1CT, Ideal Cut, F Color, S1 is roughly 4500 for the stone.
Whatever that I can get for 2000-2500. According to Bluenile this means 0.6CT to 0.7CT (VG/Ideal cut, F/G, VS2/VS1).
a
Mar 1, 2003
349 posts
37 upvotes
I would highly recommend this place:

The Jewel Case Limited
Address: 21 DUNDAS SQ , Toronto
Phone: (416) 364-2459

Nearest Major Intersection: Yonge St & Dundas St E

Bought my wife's ring there and my brother bought his wife's there are as well. What impresses me about the place is the honesty they bring about in their business as well, they take the time to educate you on "how" to look and tell the quality of the diamond you purchase. All their diamonds are certified with gemscan as well. Just recommend a friend there one week ago. He bought the ring on the spot after going to all the other "brand name" places.
<<IREE>>
--------------------------------
Check my feedback: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... adid=15563
Check out my Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=15643
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8556 posts
1056 upvotes
There is a huge price difference between SI1 and VS2.... is the quality difference really that huge?
a
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
elty wrote: There is a huge price difference between SI1 and VS2.... is the quality difference really that huge?
It depends on who says it is an SI1 or VS2. Is it graded by a reputable lab such as GIA or AGS? They're almost always accurate with their grading. However if it is graded by EGL, an unknown lab or the jeweler telling you that it is an SI1, it might be a few grades lower than a stone that GIA would grade SI1.

SI1 is supposed to be eye clean. However, there are people that have reported getting an SI1 that wasn't eye clean. For me, I ended up with a VS2. I wouldn't have minded an eyeclean SI1, but the people that we bought from had a beautiful VS2 and that's what we got. We bought from the States because of price and because we wanted a GIA graded stone (which was much harder to find here) but bought from someone that stocked diamonds since we wanted to be able to see the stone we were buying and not just buy from the paper. The pictures they sent us were great even though it looked even better in person! Even after paying taxes when it crossed the border, it was still much cheaper than buying here.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8556 posts
1056 upvotes
Went to Diamond Moment and the jeweler referred from USA certa. The guy in Diamond Moment seems to be much more knowledgeable and show me a H colour stone that look freaking good. My ex manager also purchased from him before and he is satisfied. The guy from USA Certa diamond seems to be less patient with me but the stone doesn't look as good, but it may due to the CFL lighting that he used in his messy office.

Now, USA certa diamond is $400 to $900 cheaper assuming the same 4C from GIA, but the guy from Diamond Moment assured me he will have the best looking one because GIA didn't report on everything. He said even if the report is exactly the same, one diamond could have looked better than other due to stuff that is hard to quantified. Both of them cost less than Bluenile. I guess I will wait and see.

Now, both of them has a "wholesale price chart" that they use to calculate the price. Anyone know where can you find such chart? Also, anyone know a huge photo gallery of ring setting?
a
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
1128 posts
276 upvotes
elty wrote: Went to Diamond Moment and the jeweler referred from USA certa. The guy in Diamond Moment seems to be much more knowledgeable and show me a H colour stone that look freaking good. My ex manager also purchased from him before and he is satisfied. The guy from USA Certa diamond seems to be less patient with me but the stone doesn't look as good, but it may due to the CFL lighting that he used in his messy office.

Now, USA certa diamond is $400 to $900 cheaper assuming the same 4C from GIA, but the guy from Diamond Moment assured me he will have the best looking one because GIA didn't report on everything. He said even if the report is exactly the same, one diamond could have looked better than other due to stuff that is hard to quantified. Both of them cost less than Bluenile. I guess I will wait and see.

Now, both of them has a "wholesale price chart" that they use to calculate the price. Anyone know where can you find such chart? Also, anyone know a huge photo gallery of ring setting?
I dealt with Diamond Moments and you and I may have been looking at the same stone. PM if you want to clarify if it was.

In any case, I decided against Diamond Moments, and not becuase of poor customer service, but I found that the diamond I was getting from US certed was much better in regards to cut, proportions, and overall look.

Edmund, the guy at Diamond moments is very knowledgeable and is willing to spend time with you. Although he does refer to the paper, he lets you know what makes the stone say what it says on paper. So, he really backs up what is stated on the report, but does not just rely on it.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
elty wrote: Now, USA certa diamond is $400 to $900 cheaper assuming the same 4C from GIA, but the guy from Diamond Moment assured me he will have the best looking one because GIA didn't report on everything. He said even if the report is exactly the same, one diamond could have looked better than other due to stuff that is hard to quantified. Both of them cost less than Bluenile. I guess I will wait and see.
A diamond is only worth the certification paper. Buy a diamond with a reputable certification, that means AGS/GIA.

If the Diamond were so good, why didn't the wholesaler/owner get it certified? Probably because it wouldn't have made the cut... hence the lower grade certificate or NO cert.
elty wrote: Now, both of them has a "wholesale price chart" that they use to calculate the price. Anyone know where can you find such chart? Also, anyone know a huge photo gallery of ring setting?
The price is probably obtained from wholesale price charts ins Rapaport Diamond Report. Not sure if regular people have access to it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8556 posts
1056 upvotes
coolspot wrote: A diamond is only worth the certification paper. Buy a diamond with a reputable certification, that means AGS/GIA.

If the Diamond were so good, why didn't the wholesaler/owner get it certified? Probably because it wouldn't have made the cut... hence the lower grade certificate or NO cert.

The price is probably obtained from wholesale price charts ins Rapaport Diamond Report. Not sure if regular people have access to it.
No, they are both certed by GIA. He simply said even if the diamond has the exact certificate, one may still look better than the other.
a
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2007
5018 posts
2175 upvotes
aarietta wrote: http://www.spencediamonds.com/

they have all these radio commercials about having low prices
Ya and when I hear their commercials every 5 minutes, (and sleep countrys) spence claims they have the best diamonds. Buyer beware?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
3352 posts
245 upvotes
Mississauga
If that's your budget ... find a jeweller in Dundas Square.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)