Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Costco: Car Top Ski Box $199.97

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2009 2:43 pm
Tags:
Jul 18, 2005
107 posts
10 upvotes

[Costco] Costco: Car Top Ski Box $199.97

Was at the Costco Yorkdale store this morning, saw this car top box for skis and snowboards for $299.97 less $100 instant rebate. It's made in Japan, carry up to 6 pairs of skis. Bought one, still have 3 left.
47 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
2032 posts
928 upvotes
Calgary
With a nickname like that ....what the heck are you doing in Yorkdale???? :D
Feb 26, 2003
304 posts
29 upvotes
Any more details on the box? Size? SKU? Does it fit to a standard rack?
Support Cellular Class Action - Bell, Telus, Rogers, Fido, Sasktel, MTS, Aliant Class Actions.

Get your $8.95/month "System Access Fee" BACK!

http://www.merchantlaw.com/cellular.html
Feb 4, 2008
22 posts
3 upvotes
wheeldeals wrote: Anyone seen this in Vancouver area Costco?
Saw it last week at 3550 Brighton Avenue costco
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2756 posts
867 upvotes
North York
The only cargo box I can find on Costco.ca is this one made by Pelican:

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... pnav=&s=1#

Can you post the SKU or possibly take some pics so I can see if it will work with my existing Thule roof racks. Even a brand name would help so I can google it. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
mwong168 wrote: The only cargo box I can find on Costco.ca is this one made by Pelican:

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... pnav=&s=1#

Can you post the SKU or possibly take some pics so I can see if it will work with my existing Thule roof racks. Even a brand name would help so I can google it. Thanks.
If it is this one, I note that length is given as 188 cm.

Not sure if this in the inside or outside, but keep in mind that longish skis (over 185 cm) may not fit. A true purpose-built skibox should be a bit longer to accommodate a range of ski sizes. My cross-country skis are 210 cm for instance, so this box is almost a foot too short for them. And 220 cm skis are not unheard of.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2120 posts
47 upvotes
Inno wrote: If it is this one, I note that length is given as 188 cm.

Not sure if this in the inside or outside, but keep in mind that longish skis (over 185 cm) may not fit. A true purpose-built skibox should be a bit longer to accommodate a range of ski sizes. My cross-country skis are 210 cm for instance, so this box is almost a foot too short for them. And 220 cm skis are not unheard of.
Yeah, but it's perfect for modern downhill skis, except Super-G and DH race skis.

Even GS boards rarely go above 185, as the minimum length is 180cm for men.

All modern non-race skis should fit just fine.

The problem that remains is finding cross bars and mounting hardware if your vehicle doesn't come with it.
Jul 18, 2005
107 posts
10 upvotes
The brand is Nexess, Voyager Box, by Car Mate USA, made in Japan, exterior size 86.6"X21.3"X13", interior 80.7X17.7X11.4", 14 cu ft capacity, fits 6 pairs of skis or 3 snow boards, Costco #137700. The web site given on the instruction manual is WWW.innoracks.com, but I could not find the model in their site, it's similar to the Inno Stream Box M BRA764 with different dimensions.

It can be mounted on any roof rack with 2 cross bars spaced at minimum 24" apart. All mounting hardware is included. Looks pretty good.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7813 posts
852 upvotes
Vancouver
This is interesting as I am off to Rack Attack son to get them to fit my Acura RDX with roof rails to allow me to utilize my Thule racks but I would so love ability to throw boots into a box as well, this would be more than adequate for my family of 3 with 2 sets skis and 1 board

I hope this is still on sale when my AMEX Costco rebate cheque arrives in Jan
How can I be broke when I am saving so much?
Jun 6, 2005
735 posts
186 upvotes
Can you attach this to roof rails, or do you need the cross-bars on the roof rails?

I have a Pilot but just have the roof rails...no cross-bars.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2894 posts
334 upvotes
GTA
you needs crossbars
rails do nothing for accessories such as cargo boxes
no way of mounting them
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
FB or anyone, what's the rough cubic storage on this?
Would it be better to wait for a Thule sale at Ctire?
(would use it more for storage than skis)

Costco.ca often has different products, might not be that Pelican.
Oct 21, 2006
153 posts
1 upvote
BartBandy wrote: The problem that remains is finding cross bars and mounting hardware if your vehicle doesn't come with it.
Just get your passengers to keep one hand out the window holding it in place.
Jun 6, 2005
735 posts
186 upvotes
gq_fuzion wrote: you needs crossbars
rails do nothing for accessories such as cargo boxes
no way of mounting them
OK...anyone know of a cheap place to get crossbars for a 2005 Pilot? $200 is a great deal for a cargo box!!!
Mar 29, 2008
4 posts
Thinking about going to Yorkdale to pick one up, but how the hell do you get the thing home? Is it easy enough to mount it in while in the parking lot in minus 15 weather?
Jun 6, 2005
735 posts
186 upvotes
I just picked it up in Barrie....they had 12 in stock (I guess now 11). In my Pilot, I had to put both rows down and push the front seat forward...it's quite long.
Jan 9, 2006
136 posts
13 upvotes
off topic and high jacking a bit here but.... I remember last year or so, someone mentioned a place in the States selling cargos , maybe thule, for good price , that was with shipping included.

anyone recall this place?

thanks

Stef.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2756 posts
867 upvotes
North York
I went to Costco by Yorkdale today and had a good look at the box. It's not very big about half the width of a car. 3 pairs of skis and 2 snowboards is not very impressive but for the price it's cheaper than buying authentic Thule or Yakima ski/snowboard carriers.

However I was looking at how this would mount but the Costco representative couldn't open the box and could not find the key for the display model which I suspect has all the mounting hardware. I looked at the underside of the box and it looks like this would secure onto a bar going from the front to the back of your car between your racks so not sure about the universal application. It had a metal channel that would fit a square bar but not 100%. I've mounted Thule and Yakima boxes in the past and they use a pretty simple mounting mechanism that ratchets from inside the box.

As for bringing this home I would not suggest doing it at the Costco parking lot because I think it will require some custom fitting to make this work for your existing factory racks. As for cars with existing rails you always have to buy cross member bars regardless of the make of the car. This is a decent price for a box but I think I'll pass on this one simply because 2 snowboards is not enough for me and considering the amount of trouble and the fuel economy this will rob you it is not worth it.