Fashion & Beauty

To clean athletic shoes: Ivory soap or Commercial foam spray cleaner???

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2009 9:34 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 29, 2005
672 posts

To clean athletic shoes: Ivory soap or Commercial foam spray cleaner???

Ok so by athletic shoes I dont necesarily mean the athetic running shoes most athletes use. I mean shoes like Nike Dunks, Air Force Ones, Adidas Campus etc.

I "think" they are made of canvas. Hence, canvas shoes but Im not sure all of them are.

I looked at Nikes site for cleaning and care tips and they said use a mild soap as a cleanser.

After much research, it has boiled down to two options and I would love your feedback guys and gals.

Ivory soap, a mild soap, (i found it recommended on a lot of sites) or a spray cleanser (which makes common sense) like they sell at Footlocker and Champs?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
6652 posts
1509 upvotes
Ontario
You could throw them in your washer.
Apr 16, 2006
6241 posts
708 upvotes
How come people no wash shoe?

Shoe dutty.
Aug 29, 2005
672 posts
JH: Tide sounds good

W: Huh?

P: I am REALLY scared of doing that. Plus they are not that dirty. Just want to keep they clean.

O: Umm. Huh?
Jun 20, 2006
200 posts
1 upvote
Ivory soap is a real soap.

Dove "beauty bar" (note that they don't call it a soap) is really a detergent.

Use soap.
Aug 31, 2006
590 posts
16 upvotes
Markham
Vim and a toothbrush works best I find.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29332 posts
10712 upvotes
Hamilton
1)Tide
2)Bucket of water
3)soak it for 5 hours
4)brush
5)clean

I've done this many time, my Jordan is still going strong after 5 wash :)
Aug 29, 2005
672 posts
Ok i find it hard to immerse my shoes in water?

Is that being paranoid?

i just think that its not built to be soaked in water and might come apart of start to stink as it may not completely dry. :|
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
165 upvotes
i use shout of my white sneakers. it works the best out of everything i have ever tried and its dirt cheap..
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3141 posts
1321 upvotes
Toronto
wouldnt soaking your shoe in water shrink it?
Oct 1, 2005
424 posts
9 upvotes
ak-47 wrote: wouldnt soaking your shoe in water shrink it?
I don't think so, unless you throw it in the dryer at super high heat settings. Clothes tend to dry when you put them in the dryer under such high heat conditions, not that you put them in the washer.
May 28, 2007
129 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I have a pair of Nike Shox that acquired a smell due to my having to walk through a puddle / rainstorm... what's the easiest way to remove it? Febreze has removed some of it... but still. Is it possible to put them in the washing machine? With other things? Should I remove the insert and include it in the wash as well? I'm really paranoid that the shoe will come apart or something.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)