• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2009 10:12 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 29, 2009
373 posts
64 upvotes

Bank Teller Interview Tips

I know there are other threads on this but I was advised it may be a better idea to create a new one. I have a telephone interview for a bank teller position with BMO and wanted to know what kind of questions were going to be asked?

Is it just the typical availability and scenario questions like "Have you ever had to deal with a difficult customer and how did you deal with it?"?

I have the interview on Monday so any tips would be great.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2989 posts
135 upvotes
Markham
sorry cant help with your question. but can you tell me how one can apply to be a bank teller and what kind of credentials are needed?
Aug 17, 2006
275 posts
based on my experience , they wouldn't go in too much depth. Simple questions like availability, how u are going to get work, maybe one or two application question.
Nov 25, 2008
43 posts
Ontario
A bank teller is a salesperson, the easy part of the job is cashing cheques, the hard part is selling something to that customer, like a different bank account, credit card upgrade, appointment with a banker etc. So keep in mind they are looking for selling skills as well as the being a nice person part. Customer service is a huge part of the job but if you don't meet your goals, it's not a great job. From my friend at BMO, they're expected to sell (new or upgrade) two mastercards a week, and have five or six account changes.

They'll ask questions like describe how you had an adverse situation and achieved, and sometimes they'll ask you to describe a situation where you failed and how you dealt with it. They want to hear workplace stories, not how you won or lost the soccer game ;-)

They'll also ask, maybe straightforward and maybe not, what your career plans are. Not too many people apply for teller jobs and say that they want to be at teller for 30 years. Have some sort of answer to that question, it doesn't have to be the truth but show that you know what the career paths out of teller are: branch banker, branch administration, retirement planner, management.

Good luck!
Mar 29, 2009
373 posts
64 upvotes
HiMyNameIs thank you for the tips. It doesn't sound too hard, I have similar experience. I thought it would be that kinda stuff, much appreciated for verifying it.
chinaboy1021 wrote: sorry cant help with your question. but can you tell me how one can apply to be a bank teller and what kind of credentials are needed?
I applied through the BMO website and they only accept resume's if there is an available position so keep checking, Ive been trying for over a year. I don't know what exactly they are looking for in applicants but I can tell you what they would have found from my resume. I have over 5 years of customer service experience including face to face interactions and processing till transactions. I have worked for Capital One Financial in the collections department which was selling and negotiating more than anything. Also I am going into my 4th and last year of University for an Honours BBA with an area of emphasis in finance. I will also graduate with a BA from college level next year. I also have some extra-curricular activities done at my school relating to business.
Jul 10, 2008
292 posts
33 upvotes
North York
does anyone know if being management of CSR is a significant promotion/pay raise, say for TD?

cheers
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18147 upvotes
ONTARIO
xcentric wrote: does anyone know if being management of CSR is a significant promotion/pay raise, say for TD?

cheers
Yep... Branch managers make quite the bit of money.
I know @ RBC they make around $85k/yr @ the upper level of their pay scale. So I don't imagine $60k/yr being all that too far off for the average branch manager. But the managers @ RBC get a big bonus if they meet sales goals.
Mar 29, 2009
373 posts
64 upvotes
Thanks Jabb, its a good resource.

The first interview was with someone from an outsourced hr company. The questions asked were about my resume (experience/skills/education), behavioral questions and transportation questions.

I have the second interview next week on Tuesday with the hiring branch manager and wanted to know if anyone knew what kind of questions were going to be asked. I know it cant really be availability questions because the position is full time and the branch is open Mon-Wed 9:30- 5 and Thurs-Fri 9:30-6. So theirs not really flexibility on what hours i can work, lol.

During the telephone interview the lady told me there 4 or 5 other people she has to interview and would get back to me if the branch manager found interest in me. The branch manager called and asked to see him next week and didn't ask me to bring references or resume or anything, so does this mean i pretty much have the job, and its just a formality next week to see him?
Mar 14, 2009
41 posts
Even if they don't tell you specifically its still a good idea to take everything with you.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13046 posts
11387 upvotes
to the op, I'm just curious what education background you have. It seems like a lot of people want to get into the banking industry.. Am I the only one that wants to get out? lol. Goverment > Bank IMO.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Mar 29, 2009
373 posts
64 upvotes
faken wrote: to the op, I'm just curious what education background you have. It seems like a lot of people want to get into the banking industry.. Am I the only one that wants to get out? lol. Goverment > Bank IMO.
I am currently enrolled in an Honours Bachelors of Business Administration degree and Business Administration Diploma Program going into my 4th and last year. My major is finance and in the long run I want to be an investment banker. I have no experience in working at a bank, the closest thing would be Capital One Financial. I plan on taking some courses through CSI to move up in a bank such as IFIC, LLQP, CSC etc. and then eventually getting an MBA. I may end up not liking it but those are kinda my goals right now, more than likely they will change like most peoples do.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)