• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2009 6:16 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 10, 2007
94 posts
2 upvotes

Netbooks at futureshop

My girlfriend has used her airmiles to get gift cards for futureshop. She is going to use them to buy me a netbook for our anniversary.

So my question to you guys is: If you were to buy a netbook from futureshop, which one would you consider the best bang for your buck?

Thanks
2 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
3806 posts
23 upvotes
Netbooks selection are based on personal preference. I've written several replies and note that all brands are selling N270 or N280 Atom CPUs at the moment. Since some companies have more invested in this "segment" they're more likely to release premium products. Go into a store and test all the models:

* Keyboard - I believe this is the single most important feature. Make sure you're comfortable using the keyboard (small/large/bilingual/etc)

* Battery Life - As your budget moves up, you should expect longer battery life. The best features mean nothing if your netbook dies out after 3hrs

* LCD Size - do you like 9" | 10" | or 12" displays?

* SSD vs. HDD - do you prefer shock protection vs. capacity?

* Expansion ports - some netbooks offer 2 Flash Memory slots, most offer 1. A few models also offer HDMI (although unable to push 1080p)

I've used/owned: 701 Pearl, 901HA, 1000H, AspireONE 8GB, AspireONE 160GB, S10, Mini 9, Mini 10, x120, 1120NR, NB-100, Wind U100....

And I love LG & Lenovo, but I kept Asus 1000HE for the battery life and overall performance (I will not upgrade to 1005 or 1008). For best bang? Probably AspireONE 120GB for under $300 tax-in or Asus 900 for $250.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5528 upvotes
Vaughan
7jaii wrote: Netbooks selection are based on personal preference. I've written several replies and note that all brands are selling N270 or N280 Atom CPUs at the moment. Since some companies have more invested in this "segment" they're more likely to release premium products. Go into a store and test all the models:

* Keyboard - I believe this is the single most important feature. Make sure you're comfortable using the keyboard (small/large/bilingual/etc)

* Battery Life - As your budget moves up, you should expect longer battery life. The best features mean nothing if your netbook dies out after 3hrs

* LCD Size - do you like 9" | 10" | or 12" displays?

* SSD vs. HDD - do you prefer shock protection vs. capacity?

* Expansion ports - some netbooks offer 2 Flash Memory slots, most offer 1. A few models also offer HDMI (although unable to push 1080p)

I've used/owned: 701 Pearl, 901HA, 1000H, AspireONE 8GB, AspireONE 160GB, S10, Mini 9, Mini 10, x120, 1120NR, NB-100, Wind U100....

And I love LG & Lenovo, but I kept Asus 1000HE for the battery life and overall performance (I will not upgrade to 1005 or 1008). For best bang? Probably AspireONE 120GB for under $300 tax-in or Asus 900 for $250.
I got LG X120 Whatchamacallit from FS for my wife. She is happy with it as it's very elegant (white with green trim). For you, you can choose different colour like white with red trim or other colour completely. Personally, for ladies LG is perfect for them as the colour is feminine. For men, I would recommend HP from FS.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)