• Jul 9th, 2009 8:37 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3237 posts
27 upvotes

Google announces they are working on a Chrome OS

I think a lot of us figured it was coming, but now they have officially announced it. They plan to open its source later this year, and feel in will be ready for consumers in the second half of 2010.

And as expected, it's a lightweight OS that will be targeting lower powered devices such as netbooks. Although, maybe slightly surprising, they're saying it will be a separate project from Android.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/ ... me-os.html
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10281744-2.html
20 replies
Aug 17, 2003
670 posts
35 upvotes
IMO the android/chrome differentiation isn't that surprising considering the goal of Chrome OS.

Microsoft is working on something similar to Chrome OS --> Gazelle.

I really like the strategy/targetting netbooks
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2832 posts
84 upvotes
One year ago, I believe a lot of people were under-estimating the impact of netbook. I was one of them until I got my first netbook. I must admit, Intel's Atoms is one beautiful CPU that just hit the right spot in the consumers market. So the two 500 lbs gorilla targeting this netbook market segment is only logical (if not essential).

Google seems to be ahead of the game though. People who have used Google Chrome should have already noticed the various features that diminish the boundaries between browser and OS. With that implement on a netbook, it's like a perfect solution. I am looking forward to this.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm excited to see this. Personally I think Microsoft needs to share some of the pie and Google is probably one of the only companies with enough resources to steal some away from them.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
8513 posts
252 upvotes
Strange move by google. If I want an open source OS for my netbook I already have linux. It'll be interesting to see what they eventually do but I find it hard to believe that they'll do much in the netbook market when linux and windows already fit the needs of pretty much everyone.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8451 posts
16 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote: Strange move by google. If I want an open source OS for my netbook I already have linux. It'll be interesting to see what they eventually do but I find it hard to believe that they'll do much in the netbook market when linux and windows already fit the needs of pretty much everyone.
People always seem to overestimate linux....I'd bet that 80% of the population doesn't even know linux exists which isn't really going to change.

Google has huge name brand recognition which will help it here.
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
1544 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill
torseller07 wrote: One year ago, I believe a lot of people were under-estimating the impact of netbook. I was one of them until I got my first netbook. I must admit, Intel's Atoms is one beautiful CPU that just hit the right spot in the consumers market. So the two 500 lbs gorilla targeting this netbook market segment is only logical (if not essential).

Google seems to be ahead of the game though. People who have used Google Chrome should have already noticed the various features that diminish the boundaries between browser and OS. With that implement on a netbook, it's like a perfect solution. I am looking forward to this.
Based on my observations I haven't seen much of an impact. I don't know a single person who owns one and I've seen very very few in public that have one.
Jun 3, 2004
776 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
ullyeus wrote: People always seem to overestimate linux....I'd bet that 80% of the population doesn't even know linux exists which isn't really going to change.

I couldnt agree more.

Ubuntu is on the market for years, but still not many people knows it.
and there are others too.

This reminds me like when Yahoo and Hotmail were the leader on the email market and Google came up with Gmail and it became HUGE.

with the opensource codes, it could become a really good OS for old PCs as well. Providing the drivers to the old Hardware will be a problem at the begining but it can be solved with opensource codes easily.

I'm really excited to see the Chrome OS.
:arrow: Nikon D7100, Tamron 17-50mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Nikon 35mm F/2, Nikon 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro, Nikon SB800, Manfrotto 190+RC482,
:arrow: Soylu.CA - :arrow: Portfolio - :arrow: 500px
:arrow: Prints For Sale
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2832 posts
84 upvotes
The main problem with Linux is the complexity in configuration management. (It's meant to be a programmer's OS after all.)

Now if Google can effectively shield the configuration management from the users by using a browser (Google Chrome), that's something to look forward to. Deploying it on netbook (or other portable devices) would give Linux an extra edge over conventional Windows distribution.

I have been using a netbook extensively in the past 5 months or so. I think what netbook excels in is communication (IM, emails, posting in forums / facebook, voice chat) and searching (google or look up any information that you want on the web). Both are pretty practical and important application that we all do everyday. The premise though is that we have ubiquitous web connection (via wifi). Sadly, I have this feeling Canada will lag behind in the whole movement due to oligopoly of Bell and Rogers.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
scan wrote: Based on my observations I haven't seen much of an impact. I don't know a single person who owns one and I've seen very very few in public that have one.
Same. I haven
Let's hug it out
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
8513 posts
252 upvotes
ullyeus wrote: People always seem to overestimate linux....I'd bet that 80% of the population doesn't even know linux exists which isn't really going to change.

I'm not overestimating linux. I'm saying that people who want an open source OS already have that in linux. People who don't know that linux exists won't be installing Chrome OS either, they'll be buying windows because that's what they're used to.

Who knows, maybe it'll do well but windows will be tough to beat on netbooks even if it's $50 more than the Chrome OS model.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
hugh_da_man wrote: I'm not overestimating linux. I'm saying that people who want an open source OS already have that in linux. People who don't know that linux exists won't be installing Chrome OS either, they'll be buying windows because that's what they're used to.

Who knows, maybe it'll do well but windows will be tough to beat on netbooks even if it's $50 more than the Chrome OS model.

Who says Googles new OS will be open source? Free or based on an open source development does not mean the final project will be open source. Also Google TOS and their motives behind an OS makes me personally lean towards Windows and Linux OS. I am running Windows 7 perfectly fine on my AMD 64 2800+ with 1GB ram, hopefully a streamlined version for netbooks will run much smoother. I have never been a fan of Chrome too (uninstalled it very quickly).
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
2283 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
Asad_A203 wrote: Who says Googles new OS will be open source? Free or based on an open source development does not mean the final project will be open source. Also Google TOS and their motives behind an OS makes me personally lean towards Windows and Linux OS. I am running Windows 7 perfectly fine on my AMD 64 2800+ with 1GB ram, hopefully a streamlined version for netbooks will run much smoother. I have never been a fan of Chrome too (uninstalled it very quickly).
Um... that would be google.

I am rather interested in this ChromeOS and I will be keeping a close eye on it to see what it can offer. One thing that I have always respected about google is that they consistently provide increasing functionaly while keeping things user friendly.

B/S/TPCPS3MUSICPHONES
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
jz1n wrote: Um... that would be google.

I am rather interested in this ChromeOS and I will be keeping a close eye on it to see what it can offer. One thing that I have always respected about google is that they consistently provide increasing functionaly while keeping things user friendly.
LOL yeah I read the OP first post and realised that...
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
I really don't want to hand over my personal information to an operating system like Google.
They already know enough.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
gordholio wrote: I really don't want to hand over my personal information to an operating system like Google.
They already know enough.
And you think Microsoft doesn't do this? At least with Chrome OS being open source, they can't steal your personal information the "traditional way" (although if they had the intentions, they can still do it through other means...)
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Like android it will be linux or bsd with a google stamp on it. :cool:
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: And you think Microsoft doesn't do this? At least with Chrome OS being open source, they can't steal your personal information the "traditional way" (although if they had the intentions, they can still do it through other means...)
M$ tried (via MSN before I believe) but quickly stopped when faced with some debate in regards to the legality of it. I believe Chrome tried the same thing. However if google offers the OS for free, I wonder if they would be able to get away with a clause in the TOS.