• Jul 26th, 2009 10:19 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1950 posts
5 upvotes

Network adapter not working.

Today I came down to my computer to find out that my file server wasn't available on the network anymore.
So after some investigation, I looks like the network adapter on the file server has give up its ghost.
The PC works, however it won't find the network anymore. I've booted off a linux boot CD as well to check a different OS (Puppy linux) and it couldn't reach the DHCP server, and entering the settings manually also lead to a lack of network connectivity.
I'm guessing something must have happened during the thunderstorm we had today. The network adapter is on the MoBo, and is of the VIA variety.

But it's weird, since the other 3 PC I have on the network, are still functioning just fine....

Have you ever had a network adapter get blown on you (by a thunderstorm) yet the rest of the PC is still working?
1 reply
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
57 upvotes
Yeah I've heard of it happening.

I've also designed Ethernet gear, as an Electrical/Computer Engineer, and I know that the capacitors that are used in conjunction with the RJ-45 jack and transformer *must* be rated for several thousand V, in order to meet the 802.3x specifications on the TX line (transients in RLC circuits can create large resonant voltages). As a designer, the first Ethernet design I did -- I thought I was reading a misprint in the specs -- but sure enough, there are sound engineering reasons why you need very good (surface mount) caps.

But such parts are not often readily available, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Taiwanese manufacturers occaisonally skimp on parts, just to lower production costs. Hence your Ethernet burning out when it took a power surge.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)