Tags:
None
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto

oh great, theathering on roges now gets DNS injection

i was theathering on rogers, and noticed when i type an invalid url in the address bar i now get the http://www20.search.rogers.com/search?qo=... re-direction to a Roger/Yahoo search page, just like i used to when i was on on Rogers@Home Cable and Rogers!Yahoo portible internet. is this why the theathering has been kinda slow in the last week? tehy were tinkering with the dns servers???
How do you like dem apples, Bro?
12 replies
Jan 8, 2003
824 posts
26 upvotes
Raincouver
Paolo wrote: i was theathering on rogers, and noticed when i type an invalid url in the address bar i now get the http://www20.search.rogers.com/search?qo=... re-direction to a Roger/Yahoo search page, just like i used to when i was on on Rogers@Home Cable and Rogers!Yahoo portible internet. is this why the theathering has been kinda slow in the last week? tehy were tinkering with the dns servers???
tethering?
--
ngp
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
1573 posts
168 upvotes
I believe this can be prevented in firefox in the about:config

keyword.enabled = false
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
1333 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
They've been doing this for quite a while now. Just change your DNS servers and that's it. I run Rogers, OpenDNS, and Level 3 all at the same time since some are updated faster than others (Rogers is generally the slowest).
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Digital_Domain wrote: They've been doing this for quite a while now. Just change your DNS servers and that's it. I run Rogers, OpenDNS, and Level 3 all at the same time since some are updated faster than others (Rogers is generally the slowest).
I thought OpenDNS also did the same thing for wrong URLs... at least that's what I see.
- casual gastronomist -
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Digital_Domain wrote: They've been doing this for quite a while now. Just change your DNS servers and that's it. I run Rogers, OpenDNS, and Level 3 all at the same time since some are updated faster than others (Rogers is generally the slowest).
u cant change your dns on a rocket stick or ovation stick, can you? because i cant seem to..
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
1333 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote: I thought OpenDNS also did the same thing for wrong URLs... at least that's what I see.
Yup. Although I rarely make domain name mistakes over TLD mistakes, which their typo feature fixes. I also use a lot of bookmarked sites/follow links, so I rarely get those pages. To me, I don't mind - I care more about update speed than domain redirections.
Paolo wrote: u cant change your dns on a rocket stick or ovation stick, can you? because i cant seem to..
Never worked with a rocket stick, but you should be able to set a DNS server no problem using Windows or any other OS.

For XP it's: Control Panel > Network Connections, select your network interface, Properties, select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", then click Properties. Click the radio button that says "Use the following DNS server addresses:". (Did this from memory, so Google to be sure.)

For Vista it's: Control Panel > Network Connections, select your network interface, Properties, select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", then click Properties. Click the radio button that says "Use the following DNS server addresses:".
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: They do, that is why I stopped using them too.

Just use Verizon

This, by a long shot. Verizon's DNS is known to be one of the best on the DSL Reports forums.
Deal with it.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
KorruptioN wrote: This, by a long shot. Verizon's DNS is known to be one of the best on the DSL Reports forums.
Wow, I read that Verizon is know for crappy service in so many areas. But their DNS is good? I just switched mine over. We'll see how it goes.

The only problem I have is that when I use some manual DNS, I can never connect to my printer (which is connected via hardwired ethernet) so I had to do a workaround using static-dynamic DHCP and an /etc/hosts entry.
- casual gastronomist -
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Digital_Domain wrote: Yup. Although I rarely make domain name mistakes over TLD mistakes, which their typo feature fixes. I also use a lot of bookmarked sites/follow links, so I rarely get those pages. To me, I don't mind - I care more about update speed than domain redirections.

Never worked with a rocket stick, but you should be able to set a DNS server no problem using Windows or any other OS.

For XP it's: Control Panel > Network Connections, select your network interface, Properties, select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", then click Properties. Click the radio button that says "Use the following DNS server addresses:". (Did this from memory, so Google to be sure.)

For Vista it's: Control Panel > Network Connections, select your network interface, Properties, select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", then click Properties. Click the radio button that says "Use the following DNS server addresses:".
doesnt work
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4420 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: They do, that is why I stopped using them too.

Just use Verizon

Will this work if I plugged my settings into my router?