• Aug 1st, 2009 6:54 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes

Help decide and find parts

I'm looking to build a cheap system, maybe two.

This is the problem so I hope it isn't too boring. ;-)

Two Pentium III computers (that should be retired) and one of these is an extra computer (laptop is main one - Pentium M, though) and the other Pentium III is a main computer for a relative. I would like to increase the storage capacity for this computer or replace it outright.

So, I've been mulling over building a cheap-ish AMD AM3 machine for being future proof and buying a cheap system from here, RFD, so maybe a decent socket 775 machine. I have spare 2GB DDR2 RAM but it's 1066 speed. Maybe for most cheap setups, it might be too fast or overclock the RAM?

Anyway, is there any way to find a mobo for $80 or less and then a decent performing Intel CPU for about the same? I'd go as high as $100 but I'd like the performance to be half decent.

Or I could combine the two Pentium II machines with a KVM switch and buy the Intel or AMD machine for another machine.

I thought of trying to find a machine with integrated video but then video cards can be found cheap, right? For around $30? So, maybe don't bother trying to find certain motherboards? Just get a cheap video card?

I'm covered for monitors (have enough) and keyboards, mice. I could upgrade my video card and case from my main machine (P35, Nvidia 7950GT and Antec Solo case) and move these components to the one I'm building?

Anyway, if any of these options sound okay or you have other ideas, please recommend and advise!

I need to do something soon because the Pentium IIs are in bad shape and are too slow! ;-) One of the problems is a lack of storage space. I might have a spare 500GB HDD to use so the only other components to add would be PSU, case and video card (which I could upgrade the other computer and then recycle the old stuff in the new machine being built).

Thanks for any replies!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2008
1432 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario
After reading your post, I'm not sure what your goal is. The only thing I could make out was that you wanted to increase storage space. Is this your only goal?

Please make your questions clear. Many here would be happy to help.
"blackbox 2.2 aluminus"[INDENT]
Core i5 2500K / Asus P8P67 / 16 GB DDR3
GTX 580 / Samsung 27"
Intel 320 120GB / Win7Pro64
[/INDENT]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
Okay, the problem is I want to acquire/buy TWO computers or at least one. I desperately want to get rid of the two Pentium II computers. Would someone want them? I'm having major problems with them both including one (getting message 'out of memory' all the time). I was going to re-install on one but I'll just run into the problem again.

I thought they could be a server or just use the disk drives for storage space.

Windows 2000 is one on and XP is on the other and the Win2K one is really screwed up.

Could I use them as servers? Maybe just have them full of songs/data/pictures whatever?

But, then I'd need two new builds so I am wondering what to invest in. I find Pentium 4 systems at stores to be rip-offs but they are cheap. However, I bet one would run into problems with them as well. I don't want to be restricted to just CD Burner and DVD ROM and not have options.

I suppose I could use my laptop and then buy just one computer but which build should I choose?

1) cheap used AMD or Intel machine (I could buy components here?) Which one, though?

2) brand new AM3 or AM2+ build (just need cpu, mobo and maybe RAM?)

I could upgrade my current machine with a new case and video card and put them into the cheap build I'd be buying

Is that a better presentation of my problem? ;-)

I guess the main problem is wanting to buy 2 systems but not really having the cash right now. Or not knowing how much to invest in it. I want lots of memory and a powerful machine since my P35 build gives me hardly any problems (but, it's not located *here*).
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
Okay, I will try to be more specific and suggest options/ideas:

1) P35 mobo or P45 mobo: Asus P5Q-E or PK5-E ($70-$90)

DDR2 RAM 4GB 800MHz (PC-6400) $50

PSU - I will probably buy this new. I will buy whatever brand is half decent, Corsair, Antec, OCZ etc. for $60-$100

CPU: $100

I won't worry about the video card. 'Will figure that out after I buy the system. So, this system is priced at $340 tops. Maybe I could get it to $300 but this is for one machine.

2) AMD AM3 system - mobo 770 - Gigabyte $90
X4 250 (AM3 socket) $100
DDR3 RAM - $90
Total: $280
Very similar price but more future proof but I'm not sure it is as powerful but option to be much more powerful? Problem is, it probably goes over $300 with taxes and shipping chargers from a vendor. But, I don't have to worry as much about the quality or status of the product. It's brand new so I can RMA whereas with used stuff, you never know.

So, two systems could range between $500 and $600 so that is pretty good if I save up. Or I can just buy the one system at around $300 for everything but I would need a case and gpu probably. So factor another $60 for the case?

Alternatively, I buy a Pentium 4 system for $150 and then save up for the components above. I'd have two systems, one POS Pentium 4 (but, more powerful than the Pentium IIs) and an AMD (or Intel) build which can be upgraded to be pretty powerful. I wanted the systems to be upgradeable so I can have lots of memory and storage options.

I would use these computers for everything ranging from music to movies. I probably only need a Pentium 4 for this but I thought I'd throw out options I can think of. If there's other ideas or have a solution of your own, please recommend! ;-)

I store a lot of stuff so please consider storage capacity options as among the top priorities. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
1. you can't build anything without having a budget.
2. if you already have DDR2 1066 if its a 4 gig kit then you should use it on a AM3 DDR2 based build
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Asus Xonar AU | Asus ROG 6600 XT | Corsair RM850X | Fractial Designs Refine R5
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 | SG Firecuda 2 Tb | Win 10 Pro
Heatware 45-0|RFDware 13-0
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
terrybear wrote: 1. you can't build anything without having a budget.
2. if you already have DDR2 1066 if its a 4 gig kit then you should use it on a AM3 DDR2 based build
I thought I suggested a budget. $300. It is flexible based on time. If I am working, I'll eventually be able to invest a bit more. But, I cannot realistically say I can buy an i7 Intel system. That is not something I can budget for. But, if I buy periodically (not all at once), I could probably buy 2 systems that are $350 or so.

I only have 2GB of the DDR2 1066 so I thought I could use it on a cheap system or maybe (better?) sell it here and get a 4GB kit? I WAS going to use it for a cheap system for a relative because they are fine using 32-bit XP but I would like to try Windows 7 on a new build so I could use the extra RAM since I try to use 64-bit Operating Systems now.