• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2009 12:59 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 6, 2007
186 posts
12 upvotes

Buying Internet Security Software License On Ebay

The internet security software on my PC is about to expire. Noticed that a bunch of sellers on Ebay are selling the activation/product key at only a fraction of the retail price which makes me wonder if they are legitimate.

Has anyone had any experience on this? Thanks for any advice.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1262 posts
86 upvotes
oshawa
i got the kaspersky one for 15$ off ebay. it worked
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
7431 posts
2505 upvotes
BC
You could also go with a free antivirus like Avast or Avira.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
junkone wrote: i got the kaspersky one for 15$ off ebay. it worked
Ditto. Bought Kaspersky key a few years ago and it was fine. Incidentally, I believe that eBay does not allow the selling of keys/software any more unless the seller actually mails you a physical "package". The Far east sellers are probably ignoring this and one of these days eBay will slap them.
Dec 6, 2007
186 posts
12 upvotes
Thanks for sharing your experience. However I still have some hesitation because of the unknown "source" of these activation keys & wonder how long the life of these ebay sold licenses can last if they are not truly legitimate. Headache.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
My guess is that they are buying bulk licences intended for the far east (where prices have to be lower because people are poorer) and splitting them up and reselling them into the US market which they are really not supposed to do. However they fact that they are still selling on eBay indicates people are not having any problem with what they are buying so far.
Dec 6, 2007
186 posts
12 upvotes
woof wrote: My guess is that they are buying bulk licences intended for the far east (where prices have to be lower because people are poorer) and splitting them up and reselling them into the US market which they are really not supposed to do. However they fact that they are still selling on eBay indicates people are not having any problem with what they are buying so far.
A good guess.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)