• Feb 2nd, 2010 12:54 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 3, 2007
636 posts
160 upvotes
EDM, AB

Home Theater suggestions

Did a search and couldn't find anything so hopefully this isn't a repeat thread.

TV: Toshiba 46" 1080p 120Hz TV

Sources: Xbox360 (HDMI), PS3 (HDMI), Wii (Component), PS2 (Component), HDTV Shaw box (HDMI). More sources may come in the future. Already playing with the idea of a HTPC which will also be HDMI. Must accept HDMI Audio! Ipod connection would be nice too.

Room: pretty close to 15'x15'. TV area takes up about 75% of that. Open concept so not enclosed. It's in a penthouse condo corner unit so I share 1 wall with 1 neighbor (floor too but concrete construction so not likely to leak much noise) but still don't want to disturb them too much!

Budget
: Around $1k all in. I don't mind waiting on sales to get things cheaper.

What I was thinking of getting was the Yamaha HTR6260B and pair it with the Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theatre Speaker System. Are these good brands? Would this be a good beginner setup? Any other suggestions (I know to stay away from Bose)? Also, what about speaker cables and the other small bits I may need? Like everyone visiting this site, I'm trying to get the best for the least. I prefer buying new because can be unsure about used stuff sometimes except for maybe speaker cables, stands, etc...

Yamaha Receiver:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... 058&catid=
Energy Speakers:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... 518&catid=
Just a regular deal junkie...
20 replies
Jun 4, 2008
25 posts
Calgary, AB
As far as recievers go, there are plenty of good options out there from Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, etc. I would look at the Pioneer VSX-919 and the Yamaha 6240 as well as the Denon already mentioned. On sale - you should be able to snag one for about $400 or less. Another option is to look for open box deals at futureshop or other local dealers. It's not like they are plugged in, just used as touch and feel demos.

The energy's are pretty good speakers. They go on sale for $399-$499 all the time. If you have any cash left over you may want to upgrade the sub. Another option is to get 'last of' speakers from a store. Places like london drugs tend to blow speakers out for 50% off when they have a few left to get rid of.

Speaker wire and HDMI, subwoofer, etc, cables - buy online. Check monoprice.com or bluejeanscable.com. DO NOT buy the Monster HDMI cables. A $5-$10 HDMI cable is plenty for under 12 feet. Speaker cable, assuming about 25 foot maximum run, stick with 12 of 14 guage. No need to go crazy.

Stands - Get what you want for your space. You can spend $100 or thousands. Too many options to discuss right now.

Good luck. If possible, listen to as many speakers as you can. They are a very personal choice.
Nov 3, 2007
636 posts
160 upvotes
EDM, AB
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Few more questions/comments though.

How do those Polks stack up against the Energy speakers? The price will be similar after I buy the center.

As for speaker stands.. I actually already own 2 stands that I purchased years ago that I used on a 5.1 system on my PC (retired since I much prefer headphones). I may want to wallmount though in which case I'd need new ones. I actually have some good quality sub cables too from that setup (25' iirc). The only thing I'd need is probably speaker cables and maybe shorter HDMI cables (I have 4 10' cables I used to have to use in my old setup, new TV stand I got is much more efficient).

With receivers I see some offer HDMI passthru and some HDMI repeater. I assume repeater means it utilizes the HDMI audio, correct? Also, some of the receivers mentioned only have 3 HDMI ports. I need 4 though if I build that HTPC soon. I also looked at the 6240 and 6260 from Yamaha. Is the only difference the up-conversion chip (besides the obvious 5.1 vs 7.1)? What does that mean exactly? Will the 6260 upconvert from component to HDMI while the 6240 won't? That may be a nice feature to have.

Thanks again for any help or suggestions and keep 'em coming!
Jun 4, 2008
25 posts
Calgary, AB
The receiver stuff is confusing. I bought one a couple years ago and am starting to look at a new one. I am still confused a lot of the time.

Some of last years models, and this years lower end models only do HDMI switching, and do not take the audio from the signal. Pass through tends to mean the ability to forward the signal on without changing it. Repeater usually means it takes the audio. This is something to double check before buying.

I would look closely at the Yamaha 6240/50/60 and the Pioneer 919. All can accept audio over HDMI. The 6240 (rxv465) is 5.1, the 6250 (rxv565) is 7.1 with HDMI upconversion, the 6260 (rxv665) is 7.2 with HDMI upconversion and other small bells and whistles. The Pioneer is 7.1.

I don't have any experience with the Polk's, but I have heard the energy's and they sound good and are wall mountable.

If you are in the Calgary area, another option is to wait for a few weeks. In early Sept Soundsaround has their big 4 sale, and all the shops in town compete. A good time to shop.
Mar 14, 2009
217 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
its unfair to compare satelite to tower speakers (unlike some offbrand to make things big for ur attention). R300 is a big setup from energy take satelite.
as i mentioned in the http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=777025
(u may want to read it again) take the polk combo (towers) unless u dont have space for them.

u want hdmi 1.3a reapeater, it carries audio signal.
hdmi 1.3a switching DOES NOT carry audio signal (could be painful)

AVR supports 1.3a reapeaters:
Denon 590,789,790 and up
Pioneer 519/819/919 (if u want go for pioneer i recommend 919)
--------
there r many different ways for up conversions, generally it takes lower res/analog video signal into full res, digital signal. most LCD TV can do this by their own. bad up conversion chip and lower the picture quality. not 100% sure though.
Jun 4, 2008
25 posts
Calgary, AB
I haven't personally listened to the Polk r300's, but based on reviews they are a no brainer for the price. I talked my dad into the Energy's a while ago and set them up in my home theater as a test. The energy's sound good, but a little weak (more in the bass and mid bass).

The Polk system should do very well in your space.

$350 for speakers. $450 ish for a receiver. $100 for wire, cables, etc. Stands if needed for the surrounds.

I would grab the Polk system right now at the sale price. Narrow your receiver choice to two or three, and wait for a sale (or open box).
Nov 3, 2007
636 posts
160 upvotes
EDM, AB
Thanks for the info guys. The Denon AVR-790 has me VERY interested. Seems to be everything I want/need and more in a receiver! On sale for $599 at FS right now too (not a great deal but better than full price).

I'm gonna try to go later tonight to check out what some local stores have and see if I can deal with them a bit on prices.
Mar 14, 2009
217 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Cryton wrote: Thanks for the info guys. The Denon AVR-790 has me VERY interested. Seems to be everything I want/need and more in a receiver! On sale for $599 at FS right now too (not a great deal but better than full price).

I'm gonna try to go later tonight to check out what some local stores have and see if I can deal with them a bit on prices.
i think theres some FS monday night sale or something (check this forum), u may want to wait a few days. this deal $599 wont be over until the coming friday.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1510 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto
Optical audio cables are dirt cheap if your receiver doesn't do HDMI-Audio. It's just another step to associate the optical input with the video source.

A big thing to watch out for is upscaling & analog-to-digital.

My receiver does analog upscaling so RCA, S-Video get upconverted to component, which I'm using to plug into my old plasma.

However, if I were to get an HDMI HDTV, those analog sources won't be upconverted to HDMI.

Remember, Monster Cables are a rip-off and under 6ft, any HDMI cable will do. It's only when you're pulling them through walls or long distances that you need high quality cables.

HDMI Cables:
Part 1: http://gizmodo.com/266616/the-truth-about-monster-cable
Part 2: http://gizmodo.com/268788/the-truth-abo ... -upusually
Part 3: http://gizmodo.com/282725/the-truth-abo ... e-part-iii
Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.
Nov 3, 2007
636 posts
160 upvotes
EDM, AB
Thanks again for the tips guys. Definitely going to check out FS on Monday and see what kind of deals they may have going. Hoping for something good!
Nov 3, 2007
636 posts
160 upvotes
EDM, AB
Well, FS was a good trip today. Picked up the Denon AVR-790 for... $431.99!! That's a smoking deal I think! Also grabbed the Polk RM6750 speaker set for $449.99 and 50" Monster speaker cable for $29.99 (ya ya, rip off, but I think he messed up on the receiver price so I bought the cables.. asked for a better deal and got like 50% off though. Monoprice is $10 + ~$13 shipping USD for the same amount/guage cable though! so not that bad and I got these NOW). The Speaker package linked earlier for $350 was sold out this morning ($280 with the discount!) so had to get something else. Was offered some Energy Take 5 Classics for $375 w/ 9 year instore warranty but they were floor models and didn't want to deal with that. Whole deal was UNDER my $1k budget WITH tax included!

So, how'd I do? Suggestions or anything? Thinking I might replace the speakers if I can find a better deal before the end of the 30 day return!
Mar 14, 2009
217 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Cryton wrote: Well, FS was a good trip today. Picked up the Denon AVR-790 for... $431.99!! That's a smoking deal I think! Also grabbed the Polk RM6750 speaker set for $449.99 and 50" Monster speaker cable for $29.99 (ya ya, rip off, but I think he messed up on the receiver price so I bought the cables.. asked for a better deal and got like 50% off though. Monoprice is $10 + ~$13 shipping USD for the same amount/guage cable though! so not that bad and I got these NOW). The Speaker package linked earlier for $350 was sold out this morning ($280 with the discount!) so had to get something else. Was offered some Energy Take 5 Classics for $375 w/ 9 year instore warranty but they were floor models and didn't want to deal with that. Whole deal was UNDER my $1k budget WITH tax included!

So, how'd I do? Suggestions or anything? Thinking I might replace the speakers if I can find a better deal before the end of the 30 day return!
great deal on avr. ok deal on Polk HTIB. are you short of space or something? that R300 set i mentioned is 280$ today. $30 wasnt bad for 50' cable specially if u need them right away. if ur not short of space, i still recommend to get the R300 set and compare, return the one u like less.

anywayz, congras on ur system!
Nov 3, 2007
636 posts
160 upvotes
EDM, AB
No, not short on space but like I said, they are sold out. Can't even buy them and they'll ship when they're in stock! Won't let me check out even with just those in my cart! Wish I could get them. My guess is they'll open the ordering of them back up after the appreciation sale is over because $280 for those is smoking hot (and probably very little profit for them at that price)!
Mar 14, 2009
217 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Cryton wrote: No, not short on space but like I said, they are sold out. Can't even buy them and they'll ship when they're in stock! Won't let me check out even with just those in my cart! Wish I could get them. My guess is they'll open the ordering of them back up after the appreciation sale is over because $280 for those is smoking hot (and probably very little profit for them at that price)!
ic! no worries wut u getting r great speakers.congras again.
Dec 15, 2007
308 posts
6 upvotes
Orillia
how did you score the 790 for $431.99?
Dec 26, 2007
17 posts
I just picked up a Denon AVR-790 tonight for $529.99 + taxes. Went into the local Future Shop here and told them I could pick up the same receiver from the states for $499.99 USD. The sales guy offered me $529.99 and I took it. Came to just under $598 with taxes.

Not sure how you managed to score a brand new one for $431, considering MSRP is $499US, that is an amazing deal.

Now I just need to find some speakers... any suggestions?
Dec 5, 2007
543 posts
1 upvote
NB
Cryton wrote: Well, FS was a good trip today. Picked up the Denon AVR-790 for... $431.99!! That's a smoking deal I think! Also grabbed the Polk RM6750 speaker set for $449.99 and 50" Monster speaker cable for $29.99 (ya ya, rip off, but I think he messed up on the receiver price so I bought the cables.. asked for a better deal and got like 50% off though. Monoprice is $10 + ~$13 shipping USD for the same amount/guage cable though! so not that bad and I got these NOW). The Speaker package linked earlier for $350 was sold out this morning ($280 with the discount!) so had to get something else. Was offered some Energy Take 5 Classics for $375 w/ 9 year instore warranty but they were floor models and didn't want to deal with that. Whole deal was UNDER my $1k budget WITH tax included!

Not sure how you got the AVR-790 for $431.99 unless it was part of the package deal.
Any insight on this would be most helpful.
Oct 22, 2009
6 posts
2 upvotes
Surrey BC
If I had a choice of the Yamaha 6260 for $499, Pioneer 919 for $440 or the Onkyo 607B for $550, which would be the better deal, money and performance wise.