None
Sep 14, 2008
513 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto

Monitor advice

Hey all,

Just looking for some advice.

I have a new computer on the way that supports dual monitors and I am looking to pick two up. I am looking in the 22-24" range and have found a couple that seem to fit the bill for about $250 each. I will likely keep one of the 2 turned on the side most of the time, so the monitors need to do that also.

1. Dell P2210 22 Inch for $250
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/product ... u=320-8103

2. LG W2442PA-BF 24 inch for $255
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.ph ... id=MTR.863

I am not in a desperate rush for them, but I will likely need to pick up in the next week or so. Money does matter and I cant go over 275.

Pros for dell
It is dell so a great return policy
I have used the older model to that and they look good to me, but that was at work so home needs are obviously a little different
16x10
4 USB ports

Cons for dell
5ms response
1680 X 1050
no HDMI

Pros for LG
2ms response
1920x1080
HDMI

Cons for LG
according to displayblog.com when the monitor is turned on its side, the colours are a bit off
no USB ports

I am open to other suggestions if you guys have any.
7 replies
Aug 18, 2007
964 posts
5 upvotes
HDMI doesn't matter. HDMI is just DVI + Audio, so you can buy an adapter for a couple of dollars that will give you an HDMI port on the monitor.

5ms response time is actually a good thing. Most monitors with a 2ms response time are TN panels, which are the lowest grade possible. I don't know what the Dell uses, but I'd much rather have a slower response time than have a TN panel.
Sep 14, 2008
513 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
Based on dell's site, it is a TN.

And yea, HDMI is not a big deal, just a bonus.

One thing about the dell is it is on sale now, and I dont know how long for so that could be an issue, but I will hold off if I need to so I can get a better monitor/deal.
Jan 29, 2009
291 posts
I'm in a similar position. I just wanted to ask if the Dell monitor is actually on sale, or if they just bumped up the price and called it a sale. Also, in about 2 hours, NCIX will have their weekly sale and there might be a nice monitor there.
Oct 2, 2007
194 posts
98 upvotes
Both of the monitors are going to look terrible if you use them in portrait mode.

The vertical viewing angle is atrocious on large TN displays. 22" and 24" in portrait are also really awkward due to their height.

Also make sure you are happy with the way windows renders cleartype on portrait mode. OSX doesn't have this problem.
Sep 14, 2008
513 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
tempeste wrote: Both of the monitors are going to look terrible if you use them in portrait mode.

The vertical viewing angle is atrocious on large TN displays. 22" and 24" in portrait are also really awkward due to their height.

Also make sure you are happy with the way windows renders cleartype on portrait mode. OSX doesn't have this problem.
I will be running ubuntu on them, so I should be fine there.

I am not worried about how awkward they look, it is more functional for me that way. But you say the viewing angle is atrocious, how so? What degrees are they good for (aka good monitors I know are about 170 etc.).
Sep 14, 2008
513 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
Well the LG is on sale at NCIX for $10 less than CC has it for. Maybe I should just bite the bullet, at 24" turning it vertical may not be necessary.
Sep 14, 2008
513 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
Ok, just picked up 2 of the LGs at the NCIX sale. Saved some $$ on PST, got decent monitors, I have nothing to complain about.