Tags:
None
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
Fabulous, I just switched to WPA from WEP because after updating my firmware it wouldn't let me use WEP with wireless N.

But I live in a detached brick house, I doubt the signal gets very far anyway. And no one has "cracked" it to get in.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hi there,

You should be using AES whenever possible. It has been around for quite a quite, so it's nothing new.

Ju Leon...
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
14972 posts
213936 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

Well, this is an official reason why... :D

Ju Leon...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
I've sent in a complaint to the webmaster of that site. I find one of the articles listed under "Related Articles" to be highly offensive. :lol:

But seriously, that article wasn't written very well. WPA-TKIP hasn't been broken open yet. This 'hack' does not involve the retrieval of encryption keys, meaning it won't allow a hacker into the network. It does, however, allow someone to mess with small ARP packets.

So, it's not really something to worry about but you should be using WPA2 anyway.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Hairball wrote: Fabulous, I just switched to WPA from WEP because after updating my firmware it wouldn't let me use WEP with wireless N.
Last I check N speeds requires WPA/AES or WPA2 to get full bandwidth. Is it not part of the N specification?
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6817 posts
565 upvotes
talk is cheap, I'd like to see proof before worrying about this.