• Aug 31st, 2009 8:05 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1950 posts
5 upvotes

Media player wanted

I am looking for a dedicated video player to hook up to my projector. The projector is a standard def (848x480) resolution.
I want a dedicated unit to use so movies can be watched on it.

I currently have a PC hooked up to it, and my wife has commented that she won't figure out how to use it to watch movies. (don't recommend upgrading wife)

So I'm looking for a media player (like the popcorn hour/WD TV2) units that will hook up to my network, and play content from a media NAS.
I do not need/want HD capability. When I upgrade the projector in a few years, I will think about it then.

I remember the original XBOX could be set up for this. Is it a cheap viable option?

What else would you suggest on a budget?
4 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Upgrade the wife.

But really though...if you're just watching things on your NAS, then it's as easy as double clicking on a file. It should be a no-brainer unless she has never touched a computer in her life.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1950 posts
5 upvotes
board123 wrote: But really though...if you're just watching things on your NAS, then it's as easy as double clicking on a file. It should be a no-brainer unless she has never touched a computer in her life.
Not that straight forward, since the same PC is my main workstation.
That pc is currently dualbooting. XP for movie watching/gaming and linux for my day to day use. The computer is hooked up to the projector as well as a flat panel display (my main work screen)
When booting on the XP side, I need to unplug the monitor cable, so the PC doesn't choose it as the main display, and make the projector display un-usable with the flat panel out of view.

I don't blame her. Sometimes I would too like to be able to have something playing while still be able to use my PC.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
NOt sure if i'm on the right track, but something like this?
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=572

Or better yet, buy a new laptop with HDMI. Bestbuy has one for $600 Toshiba T3400 right now on sale.

Put the movies there, buy wireless mouse and keyboard. So Wife can just double click the folder of movies and double click again to play.
Jul 17, 2007
672 posts
397 upvotes
Outsider wrote: I am looking for a dedicated video player to hook up to my projector. The projector is a standard def (848x480) resolution.
I want a dedicated unit to use so movies can be watched on it.

I currently have a PC hooked up to it, and my wife has commented that she won't figure out how to use it to watch movies. (don't recommend upgrading wife)

So I'm looking for a media player (like the popcorn hour/WD TV2) units that will hook up to my network, and play content from a media NAS.
I do not need/want HD capability. When I upgrade the projector in a few years, I will think about it then.

I remember the original XBOX could be set up for this. Is it a cheap viable option?

What else would you suggest on a budget?
Direct connection from PC to projector is the easiest solution for people to understand/learn/maintain.

The reason that people want a extender or dedicated player is that their computers are too far from the TV or do not have the connections.

If you already have a computer hooked up to the display, just get a wireless keyboard and mouse and teach her. (put a link to movies or vids right on the desktop.

For example if you want an extender there are all sorts of issues with codec and other crap that will need fixing by you when your wife cant play her videos.

Additionally there are issues with using a UPNP servers to serve up content, for example my dns-323 will not serve up iso files (maybe firmware update is comming) so my xbox 360 cannot see them (nor play them but that is its limitation, i think the WD one plays iso's)

But my laptop over HDMI plays everything, always, and if it does not I can muck around and get it going.

Allright, just read your reply abot the dual booting.

Try the WD one, it seems like it has good format support.

Or see if you can get a old xbox + dvd playback kit (for the ir reciever) on the cheap, then load xbmc.

Good luck

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)