Computers & Electronics

bought a defective mother board from NCIX...past the 30 day by 5 days. what to do???

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2009 12:37 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
1753 posts
50 upvotes

bought a defective mother board from NCIX...past the 30 day by 5 days. what to do???

hey guys,

here is the problem. I purchased a bunch of things from NCIX over the course of a month piecing things together.

Just when I finally got all the pieces, I realized that the motherboard is defective (confirmed by rep from a different retailer)

I called NCIX and the response is that it is now over the 30 day limit.

I mean understand it is the policy, but it takes 1.5 weeks just to ship it over to toronto!! i never had the full 30 days to exam it...

what do you guys suggest I should do? i never run into DOAs before...
14 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
CJJ25 wrote: hey guys,

here is the problem. I purchased a bunch of things from NCIX over the course of a month piecing things together.

Just when I finally got all the pieces, I realized that the motherboard is defective (confirmed by rep from a different retailer)

I called NCIX and the response is that it is now over the 30 day limit.

I mean understand it is the policy, but it takes 1.5 weeks just to ship it over to toronto!! i never had the full 30 days to exam it...

what do you guys suggest I should do? i never run into DOAs before...
I guess it still have Manufacturer warranty, so contact the manufacturer
it is going to cost you to ship to NCIX anyways, so use that cost and ship direct to manufacturer. If you are lucky maybe there is a local depot you can go to.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6827 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
30 days is not unreasonable for a return cut off. Even if it took 1 1/2 weeks to get to you that still left you with 2 1/2 weeks to find out if it was DOA which is ample time.

Return it through the manufacturers warranty repair system.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
1753 posts
50 upvotes
woof wrote: 30 days is not unreasonable for a return cut off. Even if it took 1 1/2 weeks to get to you that still left you with 2 1/2 weeks to find out if it was DOA which is ample time.

Return it through the manufacturers warranty repair system.
see the situation is that i waited for the other parts to come in to test....they weren't ordered during the same shipment. :mad:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
this is why I ALWAYS tell someone whom is putting a system together to NEVER buy the parts seperatly over time but all together at once.

Your only option is contact the manufactorer & hopefully its one thats got a depot in canada for a fast rma.
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Asus Xonar AU | Asus ROG 6600 XT | Corsair RM850X | Fractial Designs Refine R5
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 | SG Firecuda 2 Tb | Win 10 Pro
Heatware 45-0|RFDware 13-0
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
2126 posts
115 upvotes
Medicine Hat
terrybear wrote: this is why I ALWAYS tell someone whom is putting a system together to NEVER buy the parts seperatly over time but all together at once.

Your only option is contact the manufactorer & hopefully its one thats got a depot in canada for a fast rma.
bad advice, the chances of one part going are slim and covered by warranty anyway, the cost saved by shopping around should equal multiple times that single send off warranty claim.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4420 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
CJJ25 wrote: I mean understand it is the policy, but it takes 1.5 weeks just to ship it over to toronto!! i never had the full 30 days to exam it...
It is actually 30 days from the time you receive it. Not from when its purchased.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
1753 posts
50 upvotes
Zero1 wrote: It is actually 30 days from the time you receive it. Not from when its purchased.
are you sure about that?
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
1753 posts
50 upvotes
terrybear wrote: this is why I ALWAYS tell someone whom is putting a system together to NEVER buy the parts seperatly over time but all together at once.

yeah...see, i never suspected that parts would be DOA. never happened to be before so i just assumed that everything would just work. especially when it comes to brands like Asus.

I spoke with the rep today on the phone and it seems like what Asus will do is to ship back a refurb...

anyone got any refurbs before?? are they just as good as new??

or should I escalate to NCIX to try to get a 30 day RMA to get a new set?? i mean i am just out by 5 days and I bought a load of parts from them in the past month....
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
randomdef wrote: bad advice, the chances of one part going are slim and covered by warranty anyway, the cost saved by shopping around should equal multiple times that single send off warranty claim.
No it isn't bad advice its SOLID advice as like this user did, he took over a month to get the rest of his parts to do the build & now he's gotta deal with the manufactorer for a rma, spend MORE money to ship it to them & lose more time from having a working system.

Insted if he would have just waited to & bought everything at once for one, he not only would have less hassles if something was doa but also could have gotten the items for less money even.
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
CJJ25 wrote: yeah...see, i never suspected that parts would be DOA. never happened to be before so i just assumed that everything would just work. especially when it comes to brands like Asus.

I spoke with the rep today on the phone and it seems like what Asus will do is to ship back a refurb...

anyone got any refurbs before?? are they just as good as new??

or should I escalate to NCIX to try to get a 30 day RMA to get a new set?? i mean i am just out by 5 days and I bought a load of parts from them in the past month....
Welcome to the reality that Asus is NOT always the best manufactorer for motherboards. :D

IF you got the stuff from ncix on there site they make it clear they have a 14-30 day replacement policy. If you've boughten alot from them over the years then they might take it back & replace it. Otherwise you can get them to do the rma or else do it yourself directly thru Asus.

Not shure what you ordered & got but I'd sugest looking at a Gigabyte version of the board you bought.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
2126 posts
115 upvotes
Medicine Hat
terrybear wrote: No it isn't bad advice its SOLID advice as like this user did, he took over a month to get the rest of his parts to do the build & now he's gotta deal with the manufactorer for a rma, spend MORE money to ship it to them & lose more time from having a working system.

Insted if he would have just waited to & bought everything at once for one, he not only would have less hassles if something was doa but also could have gotten the items for less money even.
I misunderstood your post.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
randomdef wrote: bad advice, the chances of one part going are slim and covered by warranty anyway, the cost saved by shopping around should equal multiple times that single send off warranty claim.
How about shopping around, price matching and going with one big order, paying shipping once.
That's what terrybear is saying.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
MSI in Markham, Ontario so turn around should be fast but never deal with them before.

Asus in Califonia, USA, took total of 4 weeks last time to RMA a motherboard.

I heard Gigabyte is the worst when it comes to RMA but never deal with them myself.

OT: Logitech and LG stands out when it comes to RMA service, imo.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)