Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
2775 posts
1634 upvotes
SW Ontario

bad dvi input on dell monitor?

Is it possible for a dvi input on a monitor to go bad?

I have a 13 month old Dell E228WFP - it was hooked up via dvi to an ATI Radeon card that I had put in my Inspiron 530 - I had another older Dell monitor hooked up to the card via vga, giving me a dual monitor setup (the card has 1 dvi and 1 vga connector)

several months ago the E228WFP started putting itself in standby mode, and the only way out of it was to reboot - it happened seldom enough that I just lived with it - now today it started going black, while the power light stayed green - so I turned the monitor off then back on and the screen came on for about 2 seconds, then went black again - so I disconnected both cables from the video card and hooked just the 228 monitor up to the onboard video via vga, and it was fine

at first I thought that meant the card was bad - but then I tried something else - I hooked both monitors back up to the card, but switched them - I hooked up the 228 via vga (previously it was hooked up via dvi), and the other monitor via dvi (previously vga) - and so far so good

so it's looking like maybe the dvi input connector on the E228WFP monitor may be bad? does that sound plausible? does this sort of thing happen?

I figured if it was the dvi on the card gone bad, monitor #2, now hooked up via dvi, would be experiencing the same thing that the 228 had been experiencing, but so far it's not.
4 replies
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
just contact dell. they will replace that monitor.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2005
2659 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto
It might be a problem with the monitor's DVI port putting itself to sleep permanently.

Try this temporary solution:
[QUOTE]1. With the computer on, plug in both DVI and VGA to the video card and the monitor.
2. turn off computer
3. remove VGA connector
4. disconnect power to the monitor. Wait 5+ seconds and then plug it back in.
5. restart PC.[/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
2775 posts
1634 upvotes
SW Ontario
does doing those things damage anything when the computer is still on? I called Dell and they had me do something similar - disconnect the vga from the computer and reconnect it while the computer is on - I asked him 3 times if he's sure it's ok to do this with the computer on and he said yes

so I did what he said, and the monitor came back on - later in the day I turned the computer off, and now when I turn it back on, it gets to the Dell splash screen and stops - pressing F2 or F12 to enter setup or the boot menu does nothing

:mad:
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
2775 posts
1634 upvotes
SW Ontario
I unplugged it for a few minutes and tried again, nothing..

so then I unplugged it for around 15 minutes and it booted...whew..I have no idea what the problem was, but I'm going to spend the night backing up :evil: