• Oct 6th, 2009 9:54 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1454 posts
52 upvotes

Which desktop PC would you pick?

My parents are looking for a new computer since theirs died today. They're on dial up and do really light surfing obviously, plus a few online games (that Pogo site) and basic business needs (Excel, Word, etc)

So, I was thinking the $299 Futureshop refurb here would be good, but my mom seems like she'd rather pay $100 more to get a new computer and a full one year warranty, which is here at the Source for $399 (Sale ends at midnight, so recommendations/thoughts quick please)

But, I then told her about the HP Pavillion refurb that Best Buy has also for $399 which to me seems like a much better computer, even if it is a refurb. I'm not sure if it comes with the Windows 7 Upgrage though... It doesn't have the box saying it does like the rest of the BB computers that have it. And again, only a 90 day warranty.

As I said, they're light users, but they also want to get the most for their money and something that is going to last at least another 5-6 years.

So, which to go for?
Or any other recommendations? (Building their own is not an option)
6 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
I would keep a close eye on the next 8 days of Dell's deals ...
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1454 posts
52 upvotes
willy wrote: I would keep a close eye on the next 8 days of Dell's deals ...
I would, but they need it by Monday at the latest, and if nothing comes up and the 3 sales above are no longer available... they'd be back at square one. Plus most Dell deals I've seen don't seem to go much lower than $450 lately and they'd rather keep it under $400.
Aug 18, 2007
964 posts
5 upvotes
For starters, don't buy a refurbished computer. Hard Drives are extremely fragile, and the break spontaneously. Don't risk having one die when it isn't under warranty.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1541 posts
7 upvotes
Avoid the Futureshop refurbs. They're "refurbished" for a reason. We've seen numerous problems with them.

I'm not sure I'd count on a Compaq lasting 5 to 6 years anymore. They're not really designed to do so. At the price point, they've cut numerous corners and they're really designed as a more disposable machine. It will be perfect for your folks' usage, but don't count on a long life. For that, look more into an off lease HP corporate workstation or even some of the IBM Stinkcentres.
Jun 3, 2009
332 posts
14 upvotes
Ottawa
Have you thought of having one build ? I built my wife's system last year for about $425.00. That was with a new CPU, new MB, New Ram a case and hard drive. We ordered the stuff online from a few places, cause the pricing was different at each. NCIX, Tigerdirect and Onhop was where we had ordered from. And we had all the parts within a couple of days.

We already had the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Something to think about.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
saltyvinegar wrote: Have you thought of having one build ? I built my wife's system last year for about $425.00. That was with a new CPU, new MB, New Ram a case and hard drive. We ordered the stuff online from a few places, cause the pricing was different at each. NCIX, Tigerdirect and Onhop was where we had ordered from. And we had all the parts within a couple of days.

We already had the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Something to think about.
For some reason, OP is not too keen on this idea ....
iheartpepsi wrote: Or any other recommendations? (Building their own is not an option)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)