• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2009 12:11 am
Tags:
None
Jun 17, 2009
6 posts
Mississauga

Who have the THINKPAD with windows vista basic

i got thinkpad at july but is vista basic, and lenovo website only offer free upgrade if u have vista home premium. so what should i do, did lenovo give any discount to windows vista basic to upgrade window 7 home premium?

of i need buy a upgrade windiws 7 home premium which is $129 ?
6 replies
Jun 17, 2009
6 posts
Mississauga
i have the t500 with vista basic, i don't want download somy windows vista professional kind iso from website. i want the really one u know with a legal licence number
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Gee wrote: Which ThinkPad do you have? I have some recovery discs that may help you get to Vista Business or Ultimate
Hey Gee,

I have the same problem. I bought for my wife a SL400 with the Vista Home Basic and I think I want to upgrade it to Windows 7 legitimately since it's so slow on Vista (still need to upgrade the ram). I'll let you know if I will need your discs though as she had some software installed for her realtor stuff.

The one thing I noticed with Thinkpads is the number of proprietary applications installed which I'm not sure if I can get for free at the Lenovo website.

Many thanks and have a good night,

Alan
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
It's actually very easy to get a Vista version upgrade or possibly even a Windows 7 upgrade.

You just have to find the key and activation certificate from another Lenovo computer and install it. Though of course this is not very legitimate ;)
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Hairball wrote: It's actually very easy to get a Vista version upgrade or possibly even a Windows 7 upgrade.

You just have to find the key and activation certificate from another Lenovo computer and install it. Though of course this is not very legitimate ;)
But won't this cause a problem once both machines log onto the internet?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
alanbrenton wrote: But won't this cause a problem once both machines log onto the internet?
No it does not. There are hundreds or thousands of systems using these generic Windows keys, each manufacturer has their own specific key, and then their shipped systems would be using them.