Tags:
None
Aug 13, 2006
981 posts
184 upvotes
Vancouver

Please Help me design my network setup!

Hi all,

I am not a "techie" by any means, so I am looking for advice before I make any purchases. Your help is appreciated:

My current setup:

- A Dlink DI-524 that likes to drop once every ~30 mins when in heavy usage. Sometimes things really slow down and I don't know why. Sits next to my main comp.
- 1 main desktop computer used by me, mostly gaming
- 1 Mac Mini hooked up to the TV / receiver for movie and music playback
- 1 laptop used by my wife. On 24x7 because she likes to torrent TV series
- 1 work laptop I sometimes use at home.
- ? computers used by people renting my bsmt suite. no idea of how much bandwidth they're using

- I am paranoid about data loss (photos and videos). I backup onto a portable HD on a weekly basis and lock it up in a safe. And burn copies onto DVD and bring them to my parents place whenever I remember.

What I am looking to fix:
- Easy way for my wife to torrent and stream video from somewhere other than her laptop. don't think laptops are meant to be 24x7 and I am guessing it will impact the life of the laptop. Would also be good to stream to the Mac Mini if she wants to watch stuff on the TV instead of the laptop.
- Network printing so all comps can print
- QoS that can work at the IP or MAC so my network traffic take priority over the bsmt suite
- Easier backup solution
- Looking for lowest cost of ownership (price and lifespan of equipment)

What am I thinking:

This is what I am thinking of... let me know if this makes sense.

I am thinking of either replacing my DI-524 with the Asus WL500w or maybe the new RT-N16. Hook a portable USB drive for torrenting off the router itself + print server and setup QoS. Not sure if flashing DD-WRT is needed. (note reading threads in the DD-WRT forums, I have no idea what 90% of the conversations are about, so I'm a little scared of flashing DD-WRT but would be fun to learn...)

Buy another router with USB (e.g. ASUS WL-520GU, or maybe another one of the above) and hide it in my parents place. Use in bridge mode, hook up another USB hard drive and setup some sort of encrypted offsite backup (will need to research how to do this).

What do you think of this plan? Does it make sense at all or is there a better alternative solution I should consider? What about router choices?

Thanks for the advice!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)