• Oct 21st, 2009 8:16 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 4, 2004
812 posts
61 upvotes
Canada

VOIP Phone

I want to get a VoIP phone. Can someone here help me out to tell me what's the best service provider out there right now? I would like to have great voice quality, fax ability, voice mail, no minute or LD charge within North America, use it over 3G rogers / AT&T network with my cell phone as handset and of course reliability. I travel a lot and would like to have access to that phone all the time.

If you have some hardware you can recommend, that would be great as well. I am looking for a WiFI unit. Maybe I can go to any hotspot and make a call? Thanks a lot!
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
7431 posts
2506 upvotes
BC
Check out the voip reviews here: http://www.dslreports.com/gbu

I've been using voip.ms for awhile & have been happy with them. With my N95, calls on 3G have a huge initial delay but after that the quality is decent, but incoming calls do not work over 3G at all, although I've gotten around that by using a ring group that includes my regular mobile number. Calls over WiFi are absolutely landline quality (unless I'm near a microwave :lol :) , and incoming calls work fine once you've got the port forwarding setup appropriately.

In terms of hardware, pretty much any 3G + wifi-equipped Nokia S60 device has a built-in SIP client, and I think Windows Mobile devices also include a SIP client. Edit: I think the best devices right now are the E52 if you want candybar, E71 if you want Qwerty, and the N86 if you wanted a slider.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)