Computers & Electronics

LED monitors and tv's - seeing LCD's starting to drop in price, goodbye LCD's?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2009 11:25 pm
Tags:
None
6 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
2076 posts
96 upvotes
Ktichener, ON
DiploDocus wrote:
I've not seen a LED tv or monitor in action, are they better?
werd ?

Beside it may use a tad bit lower power ?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA
Isn't LED just the backlighting for the LCD panel? They use CCFL traditionally?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
That model is a LED lit LCD panel.

Actual LED panels still cost a fortune at the moment. I've seen one at the Sony store, it looks awesome.
Oct 6, 2009
224 posts
6 upvotes
These 'LED' s still cost a fortune from the last time i remember seeing the price

it is thin as hell and picture quality is bar none for now. Its a good buy since the next boom, OLEDs, is still many years from being mass marketed
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10545 posts
4142 upvotes
Toronto
coriolis wrote: Isn't LED just the backlighting for the LCD panel? They use CCFL traditionally?
+1, this is just a LED backlit panel, not a true LED panel right? Do those even exist? I know samsung is working pretty well with the OLED stuff.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
Potential is big for these units... but you have to get the right one. Tri LED made up of red, green, blue lights; are addressable and can be dimmed to enhance each LCD pixel colour or turned completely off
(usually in larger banks or grids) to enhance gamma & gamut in areas. There is a question of bightness on some units I've seen. I suspect that over time... the banks/grids will become finer and at one point full LED (no LCD) or OLED will emerge as the dominant player and hold that edge for quite a while.

-LED edge lit panels (what some laptops have, & Macs)
-LED back-lit panels, what some manufacturers are starting to bring out and some with local dimming LED
-Tri-LED back-lit panels with local dimming LED

Looks like some of them are hitting the shelves.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/55-v ... ub-801924/

The Sony Store at the Eatons center has one... but at $4K it should look better.