• Nov 5th, 2009 1:46 am
Tags:
None
Oct 14, 2009
36 posts
1 upvote

Home theater help

HEY GUYS,

I need some advice here...i need a Home Theater System for my bedroom.....I have the following components:

HDMI:
40" SONY LCD TV
HTPC (Blu Ray)
XBOX 360
Will be getting another PS3 (but in no rush)

COMPOSITE CABLES
Wii
maybe a DVD player (most likely not though, considering everything i have will play DVD)

Now the system i am looking at right now is the Sony HTSS360 ($299.99). I don't really want to spend a lot of money cause its only for the bedroom. but is just me....or most of the Home Theater in a box does not come with an HDMI input. The only one I've seen is the Sony.

I need:
a system with at least 3HDMI inputs.
800W - 1000w preferable
Doesn't have to be Sony (even though i would like to take full advantage of the Bravia Sync)

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?!
THANKS

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS USING?!?
15 replies
Jan 31, 2009
626 posts
29 upvotes
HTIB are usually not going to cut it for reciever like function and I don't know of any that have HDMI ports. Your probably better off buying an HDMI switcher and pipe the audio via optical to some speakers.

You can get a logitech z5500 for $320 from Xpress Canada its a decent 5.1 THX certified system which has 2 optical ports and a digital coax.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
12141 posts
2760 upvotes
Guelph
punisher101 wrote: HTIB are usually not going to cut it for reciever like function and I don't know of any that have HDMI ports. Your probably better off buying an HDMI switcher and pipe the audio via optical to some speakers.

You can get a logitech z5500 for $320 from Xpress Canada its a decent 5.1 THX certified system which has 2 optical ports and a digital coax.
I am in the same situation as the OP. 37" LCD TV and I want to upgrade the sound on the cheap. So you are saying that an hdmi switcher, will convert hdmi-->digital coax and that can feed the z5500?

If so Im going that route.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting. Koodo Member
Jan 31, 2009
626 posts
29 upvotes
squall458 wrote: I am in the same situation as the OP. 37" LCD TV and I want to upgrade the sound on the cheap. So you are saying that an hdmi switcher, will convert hdmi-->digital coax and that can feed the z5500?

If so Im going that route.
what i am saying you pipe video through the HDMI switcher and the audio is going through the z5500 mini-receiver
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4415 posts
532 upvotes
Crus7y wrote: HEY GUYS,

I need some advice here...i need a Home Theater System for my bedroom.....I have the following components:

HDMI:
40" SONY LCD TV
HTPC (Blu Ray)
XBOX 360
Will be getting another PS3 (but in no rush)

COMPOSITE CABLES
Wii
maybe a DVD player (most likely not though, considering everything i have will play DVD)

Now the system i am looking at right now is the Sony HTSS360 ($299.99). I don't really want to spend a lot of money cause its only for the bedroom. but is just me....or most of the Home Theater in a box does not come with an HDMI input. The only one I've seen is the Sony.

I need:
a system with at least 3HDMI inputs.
800W - 1000w preferable
Doesn't have to be Sony (even though i would like to take full advantage of the Bravia Sync)

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?!
THANKS

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS USING?!?
just so you know htib will never push out 800-1000w, at least not rms lol...and good luck finding something with 3 hdmi while keeping it around or under $300. You are better of buying used from canuckaudiomart and piecing something together.
Oct 14, 2009
36 posts
1 upvote
punisher101 wrote: what i am saying you pipe video through the HDMI switcher and the audio is going through the z5500 mini-receiver
i was thinking of the z5500...just not a big fan of the switch....plus that gonna go over 500...from what ive known atleast...a decent switch will cost me another 70-99 dollars....unless u know where i can get one for cheaper....CC does sell them for 48 but sold out everywhere...guess i just havent really looked...

zzz3 wrote: just so you know htib will never push out 800-1000w, at least not rms lol...and good luck finding something with 3 hdmi while keeping it around or under $300. You are better of buying used from canuckaudiomart and piecing something together.
surprisingly the Sony HTSS360 (1000W) has 3 HDMI input.....and its only for 299.99 at the bay.....im just not quite sold on it yet?

any opinion on the HTSS360?
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4415 posts
532 upvotes
Crus7y wrote: i was thinking of the z5500...just not a big fan of the switch....plus that gonna go over 500...from what ive known atleast...a decent switch will cost me another 70-99 dollars....unless u know where i can get one for cheaper....CC does sell them for 48 but sold out everywhere...guess i just havent really looked...

surprisingly the Sony HTSS360 (1000W) has 3 HDMI input.....and its only for 299.99 at the bay.....im just not quite sold on it yet?

3 hdmi and 1 hdmi out? if its for real then its a great buy for the bedroom. Generally you dont want to spend $400 ish to 600+ on a htib because then you get to the point where a little more extra nets you a receiver + satellites. Try pming the bay at future shop or best buy, and then use one of their coupons, it would pretty hot to get around $250 give or take.
Oct 14, 2009
36 posts
1 upvote
zzz3 wrote: 3 hdmi and 1 hdmi out? if its for real then its a great buy for the bedroom. Generally you dont want to spend $400 ish to 600+ on a htib because then you get to the point where a little more extra nets you a receiver + satellites. Try pming the bay at future shop or best buy, and then use one of their coupons, it would pretty hot to get around $250 give or take.
i already tried PM at BB and FS...they wont mach it because i found it the the bay clearance centre (even though its brand new....) i prolly will just d that.....
M-e-X-x wrote: Why not run component with your wii and dvd player?
with my composite cables...i guess ill run in through the TV or the PVR (didnt even know that they had inputs...until last night...lol)
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4415 posts
532 upvotes
Crus7y wrote: i already tried PM at BB and FS...they wont mach it because i found it the the bay clearance centre (even though its brand new....) i prolly will just d that.....

with my composite cables...i guess ill run in through the TV or the PVR (didnt even know that they had inputs...until last night...lol)
You could try buying it at bb or fs first and then going back the next day and mentioning you saw it for less, they are less likely to put up a fight when faced with a return, if they do ask the manager (by putting them in your shoes) "are you really going to make me go back home, pack everything up bring it back, then drive down to the bay?". No manager will say no to that lol, of course you could save all the hassle and just buy it from the bay but a tru rfdr will go for the extra savings :cheesygri .
Jan 31, 2009
626 posts
29 upvotes
Crus7y wrote: i was thinking of the z5500...just not a big fan of the switch....plus that gonna go over 500...from what ive known atleast...a decent switch will cost me another 70-99 dollars....unless u know where i can get one for cheaper....CC does sell them for 48 but sold out everywhere...guess i just havent really looked...

Monoprice sells low cost HDMI switches for a decent price
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subde ... p_id=10110

I'm not a fan of HTIB in general. The only exception is Onkyo HTIB there costly but way better then Sony, Samsung HTIB and worth the investment also they have a way better receiver.

I have Z5500 and I'm happy with it in my small room. Although you would have trouble hooking up your wii.

There are some positive reviews of HTSS360

G4TV Video Review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1146252

CNET Video Review
http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-sy ... =mncol;lst

AVS Forum Thread
Oct 14, 2009
36 posts
1 upvote
punisher101 wrote: Monoprice sells low cost HDMI switches for a decent price
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subde ... p_id=10110

I'm not a fan of HTIB in general. The only exception is Onkyo HTIB there costly but way better then Sony, Samsung HTIB and worth the investment also they have a way better receiver.

I have Z5500 and I'm happy with it in my small room. Although you would have trouble hooking up your wii.

There are some positive reviews of HTSS360

G4TV Video Review

CNET Video Review
http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-sy ... =mncol;lst

AVS Forum Thread

ill check out the Z5500 too.....

ill prolly just end up with and HDMI switch......considering the fact that i do alot of travelling and i can use that at my dads place...(the guys has 63" Plasma and hes not using ONE HDMI cable for any of his connection [rogers cable didnt even give him any cables]) sad to see such good tv go to waste.....
Mar 14, 2009
217 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
for this money logitech Z5500 is THE ONLY OPTION imo
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
SivaNevets wrote: for this money logitech Z5500 is THE ONLY OPTION imo
I don't think that it's going to cut it for up to 5 inputs though.

OP, something to note, if you plan on using HDMI + optical with your 360, MS, the crazy nutjobs that they are have made it impossible to use a standard HDMI cable while having the multiAV cable plugged in. You need one of their special thin cables (dunno if this will still do the trick) or do a crazy hack job.

Personally, I've found that things are just so much smoother using all HDMI.
Jan 31, 2009
626 posts
29 upvotes
loybond wrote: I don't think that it's going to cut it for up to 5 inputs though.

OP, something to note, if you plan on using HDMI + optical with your 360, MS, the crazy nutjobs that they are have made it impossible to use a standard HDMI cable while having the multiAV cable plugged in. You need one of their special thin cables (dunno if this will still do the trick) or do a crazy hack job.

I don't believe this is accurate. I have an XBOX360 with HDMI for video and Optical from the MultiAV and its works fine with my Z5500
Oct 14, 2009
36 posts
1 upvote
loybond wrote: I don't think that it's going to cut it for up to 5 inputs though.

punisher101 wrote: I don't believe this is accurate. I have an XBOX360 with HDMI for video and Optical from the MultiAV and its works fine with my Z5500

im fifty fifty on this one....i have use the HDMI....and ive never had difficult with audio on a straight link....i have use the optical and HDMI together and sometimes it wont even recognize my xbox.... :|

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)